Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Whats wrong with my engine?

Vehicles
      2008/Audi/A3 2.0T
      08-03-2012 01:29 AM #1
      Stopped at a stop light, accelerated (a little hard), car shifted once, then on going to 2nd gear it sputtered, and continued sputtering at a constant rate, with a slight clicking heard from outside the car. i was thankfully a block from home so i just slowly drove it into my garage. when i was in there i noticed my stock intake had missing screw, and the screw on the other side was lose, also when stationary if i rev it a little when it goes back down i hear a hissing noise (probably turbo or intake).

not sure if its my coil packs, intake, or something related to the turbo.

what do you guys think? i will attempt to take a video of it, but my phone died the second i got back home
      2008 Lava Grey Audi A3 2.0T FWD: Euro Spec. LED Tails | Stage 1 APR | Front Grill LED Rings | Bilstein Sport Shocks + Struts | Neuspeed Springs

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      08-03-2012 08:15 AM #2
      Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

Vehicles
      2008/Audi/A3 2.0T
      08-03-2012 08:42 AM #3
      i know i know, but i don't have access to a vag-com
      2008 Lava Grey Audi A3 2.0T FWD: Euro Spec. LED Tails | Stage 1 APR | Front Grill LED Rings | Bilstein Sport Shocks + Struts | Neuspeed Springs

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3, 1980 4-Dr Rabbit Diesel
      08-03-2012 08:59 AM #4
      is it throwing a CEL? and if so is the light flasshing when you give it gas? If so it is probably a coil pack.

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      08-03-2012 10:36 AM #5
      For those who dont own or never used a VCDS,

Codes will be recorded, that can be read with a vcds, that may or MAY NOT light up the Check Engine Light (CEL)

A regular scan can show a problem in the early stages, before it gets WORSE.

Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

Vehicles
      2008/Audi/A3 2.0T
      08-03-2012 11:02 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by BritBulldog View Post
      is it throwing a CEL? and if so is the light flasshing when you give it gas? If so it is probably a coil pack.
      when i first start the car, the CEL doesnt come up for about 30-45 seconds, then comes on and stays solid for another 30-45 seconds, then starts to flash, the engine seems to be idling at slightly higher rmps than usual (just over 1k) and the whole car shakes/vibrates at a constant rate, and i can see the engine shaking as well. gonna get it towed to the dealership on monday and have em take a look and fix it, hopefully whatever is causing it is covered under my cpo extended warranty, and i don't get flagged for my apr flash, but i will put it into stock mode before i have them pick it up just to make sure.

great start to the weekend

on the bright side, i get to drive my moms 2011 a6 3.0T all weekend

7. Member
      Vehicles
      03 VW Golf(sold), 05 Jetta(sold), 09 Audi A3
      08-03-2012 11:16 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by x SMURF x View Post
      when i first start the car, the CEL doesnt come up for about 30-45 seconds, then comes on and stays solid for another 30-45 seconds, then starts to flash, the engine seems to be idling at slightly higher rmps than usual (just over 1k) and the whole car shakes/vibrates at a constant rate, and i can see the engine shaking as well. gonna get it towed to the dealership on monday and have em take a look and fix it, hopefully whatever is causing it is covered under my cpo extended warranty, and i don't get flagged for my apr flash, but i will put it into stock mode before i have them pick it up just to make sure.

It looks like you have missfire on one or more cylinders. I had this a while back and replaced spark plugs and coil packs but again vag-com will tell what exactly is going on. Also tighten those screws you said earlier that were loose and missing. The last time I had this just a month ago I had to reset throttle body connectors and perform addaptation with vag-com on thethrottle body.
      Last edited by Evo V; 08-03-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      08-03-2012 11:48 AM #8

Thats the failed ignition coil death rattle.

Have you had them replaced yet? There is a service campaign. You should get them for free, plus a tow. Even if you arent the original owner.

lemme know the 3.0T goes!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T
      08-03-2012 12:52 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSquirrel View Post

Have you had them replaced yet? There is a service campaign. You should get them for free, plus a tow. Even if you arent the original owner.

I concur with SilverSquirrel. The same thing happened to my car too. The CEL went on and the car was shaking like a mofo at anything above 1500rpm. I almost though maybe one of the engine or tranny mounts was broken at first or something. The car did drive, but I had to be really careful with it. I had my car towed to my local tuner shop, Raven Motorsports, out here in SoCal and they diagnosed the problem and told me it was a bad coilpack. I limped it over to the nearest Audi dealership and they replaced all 4 coilpacks for free.

Hope everything works out for you. You shouldn't have to worry too much about it since once your coilpacks are replaced, everything will be good as new. You might want to check on your DV, PCV, Intake Flapper Motor, cam follower, HPFP, since those are commonly replaced items and everything except the PCV are TSB items or are covered under warranty.

Vehicles
      2008/Audi/A3 2.0T
      08-03-2012 01:25 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Evo V View Post
      It looks like you have missfire on one or more cylinders. I had this a while back and replaced spark plugs and coil packs but again vag-com will tell what exactly is going on. Also tighten those screws you said earlier that were loose and missing. The last time I had this just a month ago I had to reset throttle body connectors and perform addaptation with vag-com on thethrottle body.
      yeah, like i said I'm not sure where one of the screws went...and if that screw was always missing (i have noticed strange things about my car which leads me to believe it was in an accident but was never reported since it was a loaner car at audi dealerships). I was afraid it was either the coil packs or mis firing cylinders either way i am going to have it all checked out, and hopefully i don't get flagged for the ecu tune :/

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSquirrel View Post

i have not had them replaced at all, but i will mention the service campaign when it gets picked up and taken in on monday

Quote Originally Posted by munkeeboi83 View Post
      I concur with SilverSquirrel. The same thing happened to my car too. The CEL went on and the car was shaking like a mofo at anything above 1500rpm. I almost though maybe one of the engine or tranny mounts was broken at first or something. The car did drive, but I had to be really careful with it. I had my car towed to my local tuner shop, Raven Motorsports, out here in SoCal and they diagnosed the problem and told me it was a bad coilpack. I limped it over to the nearest Audi dealership and they replaced all 4 coilpacks for free.

Hope everything works out for you. You shouldn't have to worry too much about it since once your coilpacks are replaced, everything will be good as new. You might want to check on your DV, PCV, Intake Flapper Motor, cam follower, HPFP, since those are commonly replaced items and everything except the PCV are TSB items or are covered under warranty.
      :/ whatever it is i hope they fix it and don't charge me, and i will have them check out all that stuff while its in there, whether they charge me for it or not, since i i know i haven't taken the best care of the car and i drive her pretty hard most of the time

and thanks everyone for the responses, i know basically 0 about the workings of cars and no one was home when it happened so i couldn't get a second look at it. I'll keep you guys posted as to what happens with it, hopefully they fix everything and i don't get wallet raped by my local dealership

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      08-03-2012 05:43 PM #11

/ whatever it is i hope they fix it

Thou hath asketh the INTERNET, and received thine answer from the great WEB of Wisdom........
      now ye go forth and findeth an anointed mechanic.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3, 1980 4-Dr Rabbit Diesel
      08-03-2012 06:11 PM #12

Yep...def sounds like a coilpack. if you want to do it yourself it only takes about 30 mins-1 hr to replace them all along with sparkplugs, and you can get all 4 coilpacks from a vw dealer for ~$80

Vehicles
      2008/Audi/A3 2.0T
      08-07-2012 03:29 PM #13
      faulty ignition coil is the right answer! being replaced under my CPO warranty woo

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T
      08-07-2012 03:43 PM #14
      did you mean "woo" like this?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/x_JtoW7GrdY

@SilverSquirrel is the man
      Lots of helpful and knowledgeable people here on fourtitude