Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2002 VW passat wagon still shaking after road force balancing wheels

1. 08-03-2012 10:46 AM #1
      Greetings. I am growing very frustrated with the constant shake in my 2002 Passat wagon. A couple of years ago my wife had a blow out and I ended up replacing all 4 tires since it was time. I went with Michelin Primacy MXV4 (which I think the suck anyway). They have about 27000 miles. I have had the tires rotated about 3 times and the balancing always seems to go out. I purchased the tires at our local Discount tire and I have had to Road force balance them yet again. I do have a special warranty that should replace them in case one or more of them are defective. Before the last rotation the tires were fine I also had the rims inspected and they seem to be fine. I feel the shake mostly in the seat and the steering wheel does not suffer from usual side to side vibration

Another very curious thing is that they tend to shake a little bit more when I am going up hill. We live in NC and the highways are a bit hilly depending where you live. It happens in the 65 to 75 MPH range.

Everything else in the front end and suspension components seems to be fine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Member
      Vehicles
      96 passat vr6, 2000 passat v6
      08-03-2012 03:36 PM #2
      bad motor mounts?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      08-03-2012 03:46 PM #3
      You could have a bent wheel, a torn or separated cord in one of the tires, a problem with the brakes (warped rotor, loose mounting), etc. One question would be if your axles/CV joints were ever changed. Aftermarket axles very frequently cause serious vibrations.

I love my Primacy MXV4s, by the way. Almost 40,000 miles on them, and every indication of another 40K to come. Not and ultra performance tire, but one of the better all-purpose sedan tires I've bought.

4. 08-04-2012 07:39 AM #4
      I did have the front rotors and pads replaced with an aftermarket set however the problem started before doing that. The front end is stock at 107000 miles. I am thinking a bad tire since wheels were inspected and no problems found. Also, why wold it be more noticeable after a rotation?? Thanks again.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      08-04-2012 08:21 AM #5
      An out-of-balance wheel is going to be much more noticeable when it's in front. A pretty standard trick is to replace your wheels with the spare, one at a time, until you isolate which one is causing the problem.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      08-10-2012 10:11 PM #6
      1- Primacy mxv4 is a 40k tire unless all you do is HW driving.
      2- If a rim is bent it will shake
      3- If tie rods are loose it will shake

what engine/trans do you have. ?
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

7. 08-13-2012 07:21 AM #7
      I have the 1.8T with a s spd manual transmission. I am almost positive that one or more of the tires are defective since they have NEVER worked properly even from the first day I bought them. The shaking seems to get worst if you rotate the tires in a certain pattern. They have also become very loud and hard. They Slap over bumps. Will never buy them again even though I have always bought Michelin. These ones are terrible. Barely 25000 miles with mostly Highway driving....I am on the 2nd road force balance.....

Thanks

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      08-13-2012 01:49 PM #8
      Are they alloy oem or steel. Wheels
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

9. 08-14-2012 09:47 AM #9
      They are OEM alloys, 195- 65 15. As I said in my original post, my wife had a blow out on the highway and unfortunately she could not get off the road quickly due to the traffic. I also had the wheels checked and they tell me that they are fine. Scotts 13 suggested to try the spare and swap it with each wheel to see if it goes away. Kind of labor intensive however it should give me an answer.

The vibration happens mostly in the 70 to 75 MPH and I feel it mostly in the seat. We can also see the shake in passenger seat's headrest and the gearshift. I just drove 500 miles for an out of town trip this past weekend and it was most annoying.

Thanks again to all for your feedback.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      08-14-2012 09:05 PM #10
      yup, 70-75mph sounds like a bent rim to me.
      I have the same issue on my passat. bent rim goes back on the right rear. I balanced it out just fine, but I know it was bent and it vibrates bad at 70-75. 900mile road trip and it was not fun.