Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: NGK plugs...FYI

Vehicles
      1955 oval, PG 04.5 GLI
      08-03-2012 12:04 PM #1
      Just got this off my club's website...enjoy

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/TB-...1antisieze.pdf
      APR R-1 DV...APR Tip...APR TBH...APR Stage 2...Maxpsi 3" TBE...Tryolsport SMIC

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      08-03-2012 12:43 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by 1955oval View Post
      Just got this off my club's website...enjoy

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/TB-...1antisieze.pdf
      i never use that anti-seize and always have clean threads when i take out my plugs. the auto parts store always trys to pitch it to me tho
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

3. 08-03-2012 12:55 PM #3
      Auto-store: "Be sure to get some anti-seize."
      Me: "Not needed, but thanks."
      Auto-store: "You'll be sorry when they get stuck"
      Me: "OK"

Every. Damn. Time.

Vehicles
      '13 Jetta SE
      08-03-2012 12:58 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      i never use that anti-seize and always have clean threads when i take out my plugs. the auto parts store always trys to pitch it to me tho
      What do you use to clean the threads out in the head? or do you just clean the threads on the plugs?

Vehicles
      08-03-2012 01:15 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Dub-Nub View Post
      What do you use to clean the threads out in the head? or do you just clean the threads on the plugs?
      i usually dont clean the threads in the head. i have a small brush i have used before tho
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-03-2012 04:17 PM #6
      FAQ'd
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      08-03-2012 04:26 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      FAQ'd
      i knew you would be on this, you don't miss a beat with those FAQ's

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-03-2012 04:40 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      i knew you would be on this, you don't miss a beat with those FAQ's
      If you make it, they will come.

There is a lot of junk on this forum, but there is a lot of good information too. I hope these FAQ's I put together helps filter the good stuff from the bad for the average user.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

9. 08-03-2012 05:21 PM #9
      I use antiseize everytime. Just a habit. Probably not that important.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      08-03-2012 11:00 PM #10
      I have used anti-seize on spark plugs for 10years and never broken a single plug. And after 40k miles they come right out and dont break coming out.

the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

Vehicles
      2003 GTI
      08-03-2012 11:25 PM #11
      In my case I have never used antiseize over the past 15 or more years of doing all my own maintenance and I have never had a problem. The only problems I've ever seen are from others who crank rediculously hard on their spark plugs because they don't know better.
      CTS gt3071r and more

Vehicles
      08-04-2012 07:32 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by sabbySC View Post
      In my case I have never used antiseize over the past 15 or more years of doing all my own maintenance and I have never had a problem. The only problems I've ever seen are from others who crank rediculously hard on their spark plugs because they don't know better.
      this, and the ones who change their plugs every 100k miles

13. 08-04-2012 12:21 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Slimjimmn View Post
      I have used anti-seize on spark plugs for 10years and never broken a single plug. And after 40k miles they come right out and dont break coming out.

indeed, a dab of anti-seize and torque them down correctly... done!
      Canadian Immo 2 and 3 defeat service, PM for more information.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      08-04-2012 09:38 PM #14
      Both VW and Toyota both state though not to use antisieze.
      Then again, when you go 120k on plugs, they dont come out very easy. I have broken a few ones taking them out for the first time due to soo much carbon buildup on them. Especially ford triton 3v engines, dumb design, always break off.
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

15. 08-05-2012 12:17 AM #15
      nice lil read.FWIW, i never use anti-sleaze on a plug.

and never broke one.

and i use my Armstrong torque gauge when installing (i go by feel)

i change my plugs about every 15 miles of use or so. (that is about two track days)

then again, on a drag car on my level plugs are a consumable at this point. i make around 6 passes at 9 seconds and change them. or do 5-6 dyno pulls and use two sets. the plugs i use are ultra cheap, too. i buy them in bulk and pay around $1.79 each for them!

NGK R5671A-9 gapped to .020. pushing >43 psi on a rather large frame turbo and making well >800 AWHP.

FWIW, not that i know anything! oh yeah, i like Widmer Hef (its local to me ) with a cut of lemon in it, whilst working on said racecar!

Vehicles
      08-05-2012 12:27 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by speeding-g6O View Post
      nice lil read.FWIW, i never use anti-sleaze on a plug.

and never broke one.

and i use my Armstrong torque gauge when installing (i go by feel)

i change my plugs about every 15 miles of use or so. (that is about two track days)

then again, on a drag car on my level plugs are a consumable at this point. i make around 6 passes at 9 seconds and change them. or do 5-6 dyno pulls and use two sets. the plugs i use are ultra cheap, too. i buy them in bulk and pay around $1.79 each for them!

NGK R5671A-9 gapped to .020. pushing >43 psi on a rather large frame turbo and making well >800 AWHP.

FWIW, not that i know anything! oh yeah, i like Widmer Hef (its local to me ) with a cut of lemon in it, whilst working on said racecar!

i use the armstrong torque gauge as well