Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 37

    Thread: Best Coilover Setup under 1K? Please help!

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-03-2012 12:09 PM #1
      Looking for a good coilover setup under 1k. Have seen the ST, FK, Vmaxx Extrmeme, etc. Heard good and bad for all of them. Want them for an upgrade and will be a daily driver.

      Any information would be much appreciated.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-03-2012 03:52 PM #2
      Really need some help on this! Any suggestions would e great!

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 12th, 2010
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      357
      Vehicles
      2003 Audi TT
      08-03-2012 04:45 PM #3
      I have ST coilovers on my car and they ride great. Not teeth chattering, but it nearly eliminated any body roll I was experiencing.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-03-2012 04:51 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by wrestler4life521 View Post
      I have ST coilovers on my car and they ride great. Not teeth chattering, but it nearly eliminated any body roll I was experiencing.
      That's what I want. Just for DD. I have lowering Springs but refuse to install them. Rather spend the money on a coilover setup.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 12th, 2010
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      357
      Vehicles
      2003 Audi TT
      08-03-2012 04:53 PM #5
      Coilover install wasn't too bad. Just time consuming. Save yourself some money and do some searches on some DIY's. I can't believe how long I drove the car on its 130,000+ mile stock suspension.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-03-2012 05:00 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by wrestler4life521 View Post
      Coilover install wasn't too bad. Just time consuming. Save yourself some money and do some searches on some DIY's. I can't believe how long I drove the car on its 130,000+ mile stock suspension.
      The install isn't what I'm too concerned with. The brand is mostly what I'm worried aboUt. It appears that on vortex if you don't have bilstein, h&r, or koni and kw. Definately not spending 2k right now! Anything other than the top brands, I see a lot of people on here flame!!

      Do you like the St? Highly considering them!

    7. Member DeckManDubs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      11,802
      Vehicles
      First world problems
      08-03-2012 05:51 PM #7
      Used set of H&R's
      -Noah
      Corrado - Burns money faster than hookers and blow | 911 Turbo - Hates noise ordnance's, fuel and tires in that order | TT - Colorless Wonder with a C16 habit

    8. Member SteveAngry's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 20th, 2004
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      343
      Vehicles
      1986 Audi 5000 turbo quattro 2000 Aud TT quattro 1999 Audi A6 quattro
      08-03-2012 06:42 PM #8
      For a comfy daily driver setup in your price range, you can't go wrong with the ST's.

      They sound exactly like what you're ASKING for...

      Steve

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-03-2012 07:31 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by DeckManDubs View Post
      Used set of H&R's
      If they were available I would!!! Even did a post in the parts forum

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-03-2012 07:32 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by SteveAngry View Post
      For a comfy daily driver setup in your price range, you can't go wrong with the ST's.

      They sound exactly like what you're ASKING for...

      Steve
      Thank you for the info. It appears that they will be the best coilover for the price!

    11. Member DeckManDubs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      11,802
      Vehicles
      First world problems
      08-03-2012 07:32 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by SpongeTheOc View Post
      If they were available I would!!! Even did a post in the parts forum
      Might take some time. But they show up quite regularly.
      -Noah
      Corrado - Burns money faster than hookers and blow | 911 Turbo - Hates noise ordnance's, fuel and tires in that order | TT - Colorless Wonder with a C16 habit

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-03-2012 10:13 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by DeckManDubs View Post
      Might take some time. But they show up quite regularly.
      I hope so! If not, think I'll go with ST

    13. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2012
      Location
      Burlington, ON
      Posts
      80
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT 225Q
      08-03-2012 11:00 PM #13
      I recently installed ST's & they're perfect for my daily

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-03-2012 11:04 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by TommyTT View Post
      I recently installed ST's & they're perfect for my daily
      How do they sit? Can you text me a pic? Price an where did you buy?

    15. 08-03-2012 11:51 PM #15
      IMO, good coilover and under 1k price tag are mutually exclusive. Unless buying in the used market, you have to pick one or the other, but not both.

      Honestly, my suggestion to you is Bilstein PSS (not the PSS9 that comes with adjusters). They are a bit over your 1k budget but well worth it. You get inverted monotubes with almost 50 mm shaft diameter and proper spring rate ratio and valving. I have a bit of experience with suspensions and I can tell you that the extra money spent now will exponentially multiply your investment return with longevity and performance. Hope this helps

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-04-2012 12:02 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      IMO, good coilover and under 1k price tag are mutually exclusive. Unless buying in the used market, you have to pick one or the other, but not both.

      Honestly, my suggestion to you is Bilstein PSS (not the PSS9 that comes with adjusters). They are a bit over your 1k budget but well worth it. You get inverted monotubes with almost 50 mm shaft diameter and proper spring rate ratio and valving. I have a bit of experience with suspensions and I can tell you that the extra money spent now will exponentially multiply your investment return with longevity and performance. Hope this helps
      Wow! I'm really happy with to hear that info! I do agree with "you get what you pay for" it's hard for me to spend a lot of money because I usually only drive the car once a week. I have a company car and my wife's car. So for me, cost is a big deal, especially when I'm trying to modify other things on the vehicle. I've ran lowering springs before, however I want to run coilovers. I am definately taking in to consideration what you told me! Thanks again

    17. Member
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2006
      Location
      Regina/Calgary
      Posts
      1,208
      Vehicles
      '02 TTQ (RIP); '06 3.2Q A3
      08-04-2012 01:36 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by SpongeTheOc View Post
      Wow! I'm really happy with to hear that info! I do agree with "you get what you pay for" it's hard for me to spend a lot of money because I usually only drive the car once a week. I have a company car and my wife's car. So for me, cost is a big deal, especially when I'm trying to modify other things on the vehicle. I've ran lowering springs before, however I want to run coilovers. I am definately taking in to consideration what you told me! Thanks again
      Don't just take it into consideration - just do it. Marcus is very well versed in suspension and racing, and is leading you down the correct path. Everyone with sub-$1K coilovers will tell you that they love them, but that's only because next-to-none of them have ridden on anything but crappy setups. Once you experience a properly setup suspension on decent coilovers, you'll never go back. Nearly everyone who has driven a wide range of suspensions will tell you don't waste time with the low-end stuff. Frankly, I'm kind of disappointed that I only spent $1.5K on my coilovers, and wish I'd just sprung for a higher end setup.

      Bilstein PSS is a great choice for the money.
      Jeremy Brehm: Regina Wedding Photographer

      '02 Audi TT 225 Build Thread - 2.0L - PTE6262 Daily @ 30PSI - 10.0:1CR - AEB @ 9000RPM - Maestro - RIP
      '06 3.2Q A3

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 25th, 2005
      Location
      Ottawa, Canada
      Posts
      9,569
      08-04-2012 10:04 AM #18
      I got my H&R's for under 1K shipped brand new..
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

      STANCE - Related words:
      hellaflush-hellafail-stanced-stancing-mental retardation-beaners etc.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-04-2012 10:24 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
      I got my H&R's for under 1K shipped brand new..
      FIll me in please!!!

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 25th, 2005
      Location
      Ottawa, Canada
      Posts
      9,569
      08-04-2012 08:37 PM #20
      I always forget who it is. It's a vortex forum sponsor though.
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

      STANCE - Related words:
      hellaflush-hellafail-stanced-stancing-mental retardation-beaners etc.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2006
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      802
      Vehicles
      2015 CT200H, 2014 GS350, 2013 Highlander
      08-04-2012 09:34 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
      I always forget who it is. It's a vortex forum sponsor though.
      Ahhhhhh

    22. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2012
      Location
      Burlington, ON
      Posts
      80
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT 225Q
      08-05-2012 08:30 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by SpongeTheOc View Post
      How do they sit? Can you text me a pic? Price an where did you buy?
      I picked mine up @ Eurosport Tuning for $880 CDN

      I'll load a pic today if I can get a decent one, I feel it sits pretty good but I'm on stock wheels, I'll have to do some adjustments next spring when I get wheels of course

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 4th, 2012
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      383
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT ALMS Edition (Avus silver), 2006 350z, 2009 Dodge Caliber SRT4
      08-05-2012 03:52 PM #23
      Picked up KW Clubsports on Ebay for 1125 shipped. Used for 200 miles.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 2011
      Posts
      263
      Vehicles
      2004 TTQ 225
      08-05-2012 08:51 PM #24
      2004 TTQ 225 Blueflame Exhaust, APR, Modshack, Dieselgeek Shortshift

    25. 08-05-2012 09:58 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by deltaP View Post
      That's some serious spoon feeding Clay

      I've seen them go at around $1100-$1200 before but never that low. There is absolutely no logical reason to get cheap performing coilovers when you can get these for 1k.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •