Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: tech help turbo related

Vehicles
      2001 golf gls
      08-03-2012 03:35 PM #1
      while driving yesterday i heard a loud pop and a whisle fallowed by a big cloud of white smoke... the car died and when i got home i tried to restart and runs like crap and is spewing white smoke... i think its the turbo any sugestions?

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-03-2012 03:44 PM #2
      Could be a head gasket.

Check your coolant level. Has it gone down?
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

3. 08-03-2012 03:44 PM #3
      Turbo or head gasket. Do a compression test and leak down test first to verify issue, then fix it.
      "I am for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for Justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole" - Malcom X

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      08-03-2012 04:39 PM #4
      burst a coolant line?

what help do you want???

go fix it

Vehicles
      2001 golf gls
      08-04-2012 01:39 PM #5
      not a coolent line

Vehicles
      2001 golf gls
      08-04-2012 09:35 PM #6
      got a scanner and cods p300 p303 p304 google search said poor compression in cylinder 3 and 4 or spark related..... but thats google any one had this before?

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-04-2012 09:38 PM #7
      Has your coolant level gone down?
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

8. 08-04-2012 09:38 PM #8
      Sounds like a headgasket. As mentioned above, go out to a local auto parts store and get a compression tester. If you find 1 or 2 cylinders that are much lower than the rest, you have found your problem.

Vehicles
      2001 golf gls
      08-12-2012 01:57 PM #9
      i believe the head gasket is bad because well lets face it thats the only thing that could cause pure white smoke (unless i got a cracked head or block but lets say head gasket) but while doing some peeking under the car i realized some oil was leaking out of my exhaust between the down-pipe and the cat back, i disconnected it and like a quarter quart of oil came out of my down pipe ???? i know that isn't normal

10. 08-12-2012 02:18 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by theGo View Post
      i believe the head gasket is bad because well lets face it thats the only thing that could cause pure white smoke (unless i got a cracked head or block but lets say head gasket) but while doing some peeking under the car i realized some oil was leaking out of my exhaust between the down-pipe and the cat back, i disconnected it and like a quarter quart of oil came out of my down pipe ???? i know that isn't normal
      Def not normal. Points to blown turbo oil seal in the CHRA which could cause it to overheat and blow out the coolant seal as well, this is just a guess but probably the closest explanation for your symptoms. Pull the turbo, inspect or send it to a rebuild shop for teardown/inspection and rebuild. Rebuilding the turbo usually runs in the $350 to $500 range depending on how bad it is and what needs to be replaced. Buying new is $750 and up. Ebay os NOT the place to look, unless you like to gamble with the potential of thousands in additional damage. Buyer beware. Buying used is an option ONLY if you can inspect it FIRST and know what to look for when it comes to damage or condition of the CHRA while it is installed between the two housings (not difficult but still a gamble in the grand-scheme-of-things). A good used OEM turbo can be found for $200 and up.
      "I am for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for Justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole" - Malcom X

Vehicles
      2001 golf gls
      08-12-2012 03:46 PM #11
      forgige me for beening a noob but i thought there was only an oil line to the turbo your saying there is a coolent line aswell?

12. 08-12-2012 04:22 PM #12
      stock turbo's are oil and water cooled.
      MK4 Junker : PAG 50trim Kit : AEB : RMR : Eurodyne
      P.P.T. - Pag Parts Turbo
      B6 A4 : Slow

Vehicles
      2001 golf gls
      08-17-2012 08:53 PM #13

thanks guys

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 QT , 1976 Datsun 280Z ( My Mid-Life Crisis )
      08-17-2012 09:21 PM #14
      Ouch Maybe a good excuse for a Frankenturbo if it fits the budget.

Edit: And you're also gonna have to find out where are all of that shrapnel went. Intercooler piping will have to be cleaned. The Intercooler itself may be plugged and require a thorough cleaning or replacement. Might be time for a Taco-Taco SMI upgrade of the inter-cooler .

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ensive-for-you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=251054481322

And of course do a compression test. You may want to pull the head for inspection and cleaning even if the compression comes up good.
      Last edited by Chickenman35; 08-17-2012 at 09:30 PM.
      "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Vehicles
      2001 golf gls
      08-18-2012 12:47 PM #15
      yea i have a eurosport fmic lol just put it on when i got revo1 was planning on a k04 but not yet i guess it was ment to be......

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 08:23 PM #16
      yea i have a eurosport fmic lol just put it on when i got revo1 was planning on a k04 but not yet i guess it was ment to be......
      Well the Intercooler piping should be fairly easy to clean then. Use a solvent tank and flush the piping out with that. Follow up with a good pressure washing.

Actually the pressure washer may be good enough FMIC is going to be a bit of a problem. Make sure that you clean it out THOUROUGHLY. That may be more difficult than it seems at first.

Best choice is Ultrasonic cleaning. Some radiator shops do this these days. If you can't do that, then a solvent wash followed up by a hot water wash from a garden hose with lots and lots of soapy water. Do not use a pressure washer on the inside of the FMIC. It can damage the tubes.

If this was an oil cooler the solution would be simple..... throw it away. I've seen engines destroyed by people trying to clean an oil cooler with solvents etc. The only way to clean shrapnel out of an oil cooler is to sned it out for Ultrasonic cleaning. And even that is not guaranteed 100% to remove all metal particles.

Fortunately an Air-Air intercooler has less chance of metal bits clogging in corners ( due to less turbulators and straighter tube runs ) than an oil cooler. And even if a bit of swarf gets left behind then comes loose, it usually just gets blown straight out of the combustion chamber. You do want to get as much out though as you possibly can. Good Luck
      "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Vehicles
      2001 golf gls
      09-24-2012 08:31 PM #17
      so i got it all replaced and started it up, lots of smoke (there was like a quart of oil in the down-pipe) still in limp mode even after i reset the ecu I'm thinking o2 sensors?

Vehicles
      09-25-2012 12:01 AM #18
      so i got it all replaced and started it up, lots of smoke (there was like a quart of oil in the down-pipe) still in limp mode even after i reset the ecu I'm thinking o2 sensors?
      Very likely. Probably contaminated with oil. VAG-COM scan it if you can.

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      09-25-2012 10:19 AM #19
      i would send that turbo out to be balanced hahah

Vehicles
      2001 golf gls
      10-01-2012 08:53 PM #20
      got it all back together v2 and ran for like a min or two than started dumping smoke than sputtered and died lol I'm starting to think the head gasket went as-well ? I'm unable to do a leak-down test maybe ill have to find someone on here to do it