Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Oil Pressure Switch

1. Junior Member victorromeosix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1996 VW Jetta VR6
      08-03-2012 05:48 PM #1
      So, my engine was leaking oil for a while in the past, but that is all fixed. However, the oil pressure alarm goes off regardless of the fact that there is enough oil in the engine, leading me to believe that the pressure switch is in need of replacement. Does it matter whether I get the .25 bar switch or the 1.4 bar switch?

Also, engine is bored to 3.0l, cams are 262, and compression is 9.5:1. Would any of that effect whether or not the oh so annoying beeping goes off?

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...ctrical/150/11

2. Member
      08-03-2012 06:00 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by victorromeosix View Post
      So, my engine was leaking oil for a while in the past, but that is all fixed. However, the oil pressure alarm goes off regardless of the fact that there is enough oil in the engine, leading me to believe that the pressure switch is in need of replacement. Does it matter whether I get the .25 bar switch or the 1.4 bar switch?
      Mk3s have both oil pressure switches. Does the oil pressure alarm go off whenever the RPMs get up to 2,000? If so, the pressure switch wires may be crossed.
      Kenji

3. Junior Member victorromeosix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1996 VW Jetta VR6
      08-03-2012 06:16 PM #3
      That is actually exactly what happens. So by crossed you mean, plugged into wrong ports or...? I'm still well behind the learning curve! ^_^;

4. Member
      08-04-2012 11:05 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by victorromeosix View Post
      That is actually exactly what happens. So by crossed you mean, plugged into wrong ports or...? I'm still well behind the learning curve! ^_^;
      I mean that one or more of the three wires for the two oil pressure switches and the oil temperature sensor screwed into the top of the oil filter housing are plugged into the wrong switch/sensor. In your case, the wires for the low and high oil pressure switches may be reversed. Refer to the second image on this page for the correct wire-to-component assignment (thanks, Izzo - your image should be in the FAQ page).
      Kenji

5. Junior Member victorromeosix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1996 VW Jetta VR6
      08-05-2012 02:37 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
      I mean that one or more of the three wires for the two oil pressure switches and the oil temperature sensor screwed into the top of the oil filter housing are plugged into the wrong switch/sensor. In your case, the wires for the low and high oil pressure switches may be reversed. Refer to the second image on this page for the correct wire-to-component assignment (thanks, Izzo - your image should be in the FAQ page).
      Sweet, that should help considerably! Thanks!