Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Moving to Michigan from NY - Any dubbers?

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v
      08-03-2012 08:43 PM #1
      Hey guys,

Was looking around in the midwest forum and it didn't seem to be too active haha. I just landed a job with Chrsyler in Auburn Hills and was wondering if there are euro guys out in the Eastern Michigan area. Right now it's looking like I'll be getting an apartment in the Royal Oak area just north of Detroit.

Anyone around? For anyone living in the area, how low are you and what suspension set up do you have? Looking to celebrate my new job with an upgrade from my current Racelands lol
      Flickr
      N.E.R.D. North East Region Dubs

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v
      08-07-2012 11:12 AM #2
      No one is in Michigan? Looks like I'll be sellin the VW and going American if that's the case haha
      Flickr

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 2.5 Jetta
      08-09-2012 12:54 PM #3
      Hey there, I'm in the SE Michigan area. I'm in Macomb, about 40 mins north of royal oak. My car isn't lowered at all, I'd be afraid to because of how ****ty the roads in SE MI can be. Congrats on the Chrysler job! I was actually just there the other day, the company I work for does a lot of business with Chrysler.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v
      08-15-2012 12:20 AM #4
      Yeah I noticed how bad the roads are out there and was thinking about upgrading to Raceland Ultimos from regular Racelands just because they're a ton more comfortable than the originals. I don't want to go back to stock especially because of my exhaust haha. I don't expect it to be but how is the VW scene out in that area?
      Flickr

Vehicles
      02 M3, 98 Z28, 94 Z28, 91 Miata, 92 Katana 600
      08-15-2012 12:23 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by bankrupt vw View Post
      Hey guys,

Was looking around in the midwest forum and it didn't seem to be too active haha. I just landed a job with Chrsyler in Auburn Hills and was wondering if there are euro guys out in the Eastern Michigan area. Right now it's looking like I'll be getting an apartment in the Royal Oak area just north of Detroit.

Anyone around? For anyone living in the area, how low are you and what suspension set up do you have? Looking to celebrate my new job with an upgrade from my current Racelands lol
      I just did the same from MA and the Proving Grounds. Honestly I think the roads in the Boston area are much worse.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v
      08-15-2012 08:16 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
      I just did the same from MA and the Proving Grounds. Honestly I think the roads in the Boston area are much worse.
      Ah alright well that's good to hear, makes me feel a bit better about my car making it out there. So you relocated from MI to MA?
      Flickr

Vehicles
      08-15-2012 09:42 PM #7
      Ah alright well that's good to hear, makes me feel a bit better about my car making it out there. So you relocated from MI to MA?
      No, I went from MA to MI. I drove out for interviews last week including a few in Auburn Hills. Moved to Jackson on Monday and I'm loving it so far. You seem to be in a better location for VW meets. You should probably check out michiganvw.org for mor active locals. I can tell you one thing for sure, I haven't seen anything that comes close to the nightmare that is the George Washington Bridge and the roads around it.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v
      08-19-2012 11:06 PM #8
      Oh sweet that makes me feel a ton better because I've driven my car over the GW haha. An thanks for that link I gotta check that out. That's awesome btw, where did you interview if you don't mind me asking?
      Flickr

Vehicles
      MK5 GTi
      08-20-2012 03:52 AM #9
      hey bankrupt,

I live in Royal Oak and moved from Rochester NY a year ago next month. I'm not as low as I could go in NY, but my axle is still rubbing on the sway bar.

I work for a tier one automotive supplier and am at Chrysler fairly often. My car hates the entrance to the visitor parking log.

What apartments are you looking at?

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v
      08-20-2012 01:48 PM #10
      That's awesome andar. My name is TJ, little more friendly haha. If you don't mind me asking which Tier 1 supplier? I also interviewed with one but Chrysler offered me a position first. I actually filled out all the paperwork, put a hold on, and will be signing my lease for a 2bedroom apartment in Village Park of Royal Oak (N Campbell Rd). If your rubbing you're sway bar you're lower than I am. What suspension are you running? Do you have an exhaust as well? Sorry for the 21 questions, but what's it like owning a VW in the city the three American companies are headquartered in? Everyone I spoke to from the area told me its extremely looked down upon
      Flickr

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 04:51 PM #11
      I had two interviews at CTC and one at CPG. I'm not crazy low or anything but I have had no issues whatsoever at this height.

As for owning a VW, I have only seen one modified one in the Jackson area although I know there are more. I'm also talking to a lot of the F-body guys since I have always been a part of that scene. I actually got compliments for the VW so it's not that bad.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v
      08-20-2012 07:53 PM #12
      That makes me feel quite a bit better to be honest haha they were making it seem horrible. What kind of suspension are you running/what other mods?
      Flickr

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 09:55 PM #13
      That's on Koni Yellows and the Ground Control coilover conversion, 475lb (5.5") front and 350lb (7") rear. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without modifying the shocks to shorten them. The rest of the mods are basically K04 swap on Unitronic 2+ with all the supporting stuff. It's still on the stock catback though minus the resonator. I just finished doing all new bushings, ball joints, tie rods, axle, transmission etc, etc. It's a work in progress but at least it's basically a brand new car except for the motor. Now I have to do all of that to the Camaro too.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v
      08-20-2012 10:20 PM #14
      Oh nice dude! Any pics of the Camaro? I think for the time being I'm going to get either a quiet exhaust from Meineke or something put on but with 2.5" piping so when I decide to upgrade I can get just the muffler and the rest is done. Either that or a Megan Racing. And throw the stock suspension back on until I get myself set up and put a check or two in the bank and then pick up a set of B&Gs or something. I want to do all suspension upgrades and bushings and stuff but there just isn't roads for it near Detroit haha
      Flickr

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 10:43 PM #15
      I only upgraded to the newer rubber bushings. I would never use poly bushings in the control arms or anything like that, only the sway bars. I haven't gotten a catback because I want to keep it quiet, I keep going back and forth on that one.

This is the best picture I have of the Camaro but it is now sitting about 3/8" higher. I had it aligned to -1.0 degrees of camber in the front and wore out the insides of the tires in ~2500 miles. Because of that I'm doing all the ball joints, tie rods, and bushings up front. The steering rack is also getting rebuilt with a new modified pump to go in. Next year it will finally get the new transmission it's needed since I bought it. Unfortunately my apartment complex won't let you work on vehicles in your garage so I might have to be sneaky about it.

Vehicles
      MK5 GTi
      08-21-2012 01:36 AM #16
      That's awesome andar. My name is TJ, little more friendly haha. If you don't mind me asking which Tier 1 supplier? I also interviewed with one but Chrysler offered me a position first. I actually filled out all the paperwork, put a hold on, and will be signing my lease for a 2bedroom apartment in Village Park of Royal Oak (N Campbell Rd). If your rubbing you're sway bar you're lower than I am. What suspension are you running? Do you have an exhaust as well? Sorry for the 21 questions, but what's it like owning a VW in the city the three American companies are headquartered in? Everyone I spoke to from the area told me its extremely looked down upon
      Idk if this sounds crazy, but I don't seem to rub after an alignment. I'm running Vmaxx's. They blow hard. No exhaust. Its a 2.slow with a dying auto tranny. Kinda haggard looking. I'm starting a VR build in my garage for an eventual MK1 Caddy swap and trying to find a new daily (24V or mk5).

The majority of vehicles are american here, but there are still a decent amount of VW's. The whole city is kinda spread out so the community isn't as strong. The VW scene seems to be much better on the west side of the state (Holland, Grand Rapids). If you look modified you will have cobalts trying to race you. Happens all the time to me, and they always think they beat me, even though I am not trying.

Let me know if you've got any other questions, and I PM'd you.

Vehicles
      MKV .:R32
      09-23-2012 09:36 PM #17
      Not to far from Royal Oak myself. I live in CLinton Township(charter of Clinton) which is about 15 ish minutes from Royal Oak. I'm tucking all my tires in my R32 around here.