Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tell Me About: Single Action Original Colts

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      08-03-2012 08:45 PM #1
      You know, the old ones

Probably most interested in pre-WWII examples.

Which are the "Cheap" ones? Where are they commonly found? How much can you expect to pay?

2. 08-03-2012 09:05 PM #2
      Well if you're looking for old ones, they won't be cheap. If you're looking for modern reproductions they're very reasonable.

The confusing part is the manufacturers...of which there are relatively few. Beretta bought Uberti which in turn owns/runs Cimarron firearms. Most of the non-extravagant models sell for around $400 a pop.

Ruger sells Vaquero models which are similar to the Uberti Cattleman line which is a copy of the classic Cold Peacemaker. Beretta makes a line of old west guns which I would imagine are just a nicer version of the Uberti line that they bought?

I bought my buddy a Uberti Cattleman for a wedding gift just over a year ago, and I picked up an 1851 Navy Conversion for myself so we could do some Cowboy shootin' together. Mine was around $500, his was perhaps $390. What are you looking to do? Shoot or collect?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      08-03-2012 09:23 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Well if you're looking for old ones, they won't be cheap. If you're looking for modern reproductions they're very reasonable.

The confusing part is the manufacturers...of which there are relatively few. Beretta bought Uberti which in turn owns/runs Cimarron firearms. Most of the non-extravagant models sell for around $400 a pop.

Ruger sells Vaquero models which are similar to the Uberti Cattleman line which is a copy of the classic Cold Peacemaker. Beretta makes a line of old west guns which I would imagine are just a nicer version of the Uberti line that they bought?

I bought my buddy a Uberti Cattleman for a wedding gift just over a year ago, and I picked up an 1851 Navy Conversion for myself so we could do some Cowboy shootin' together. Mine was around $500, his was perhaps $390. What are you looking to do? Shoot or collect?
      Thanks.

Gift for my dad. He's into "wild west" weaponry. But he'll be shooting it. Probably a lot.

Funny you mention the Vaquero - he just shot a borrowed one a few days ago and told me about it. Said he liked it but the grip was too small for his hands. I assume that's the case with most of these revolvers. He also said he'd still want an "Original" Colt. So I assume that means I'm in for the big bucks

Say $1,500 budget. Anything out there?

4. 08-04-2012 01:47 AM #4
      Looks like legit models are anywhere from $2,500-10,000

Meaning they'd be old enough to be dangerous to shoot...and you'd ruin the value if you did. I'd get him a couple of the remakes. They're awesome, fun to shoot. For $1,500 you could even get him a matching pair. Or I'd imagine some gunsmith out there takes the normal models and warms them over.

5. 08-06-2012 09:35 AM #5
      About the only shootable real Colt SAA you are going to pick up in any shape would be a post war .22lr one. My LGS has one for $500ish I think?

Vehicles
      '02 S2000; '10 GTI; '06 LX470
      08-07-2012 11:37 AM #6
      I you plan to shoot it, get a Cimmaron. They start with a Uberti, but then make it an (almost) identical copy of a real SAA.

THe Model "P" with case hardened finish is pretty awesome:

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Mod...delPStdFin.htm

7. 08-07-2012 01:52 PM #7
      Both of my Ubertis came with Cimarron stamps on them...and one even had a Stoeger stamp on it too. I think you're getting damn near the same gun wherever you go. I even ordered one as a Cimarron and it showed up in an Uberti box.

8. 08-07-2012 06:04 PM #9
      That one is sooo freakin' sexy.