Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I need to carry a few things while running... what are my options?

1. 08-03-2012 11:03 PM #1
      I recently moved to montana from PA and I've started running in the woods. Yes, the REAL woods, not the type you see at your local park. The type where you could EASILY fall, hurt yourself, and be stuck for days.

Today, I took a trip up one of the trails behind my apartment. Ran up the mountain (4 mile steep as heck hill, about 3000 feet up from where I started... ouch) and when I finally reached the top I said to myself, "I really wish I had my compass." (The main reason for this thought was because I could see my apartment from where I was standing, and if I had my compass I could have taken a bearing, and then found that spot on the mountain when I was back down again.) A couple of times I went off of the trail to look over the edge of the cliff or something and thought to myself "If I didn't KNOW for sure that the trail was this way, I would never find it." I couldn't imagine what I'd do if I got turned around off trail. Well, I'd probably just walk downhill but that's not the point.

The point is, I want to start carrying things when I run. A compass and a small map at the least... and I should probably be carrying bear spray. However I HATE things bouncing when I run. I hate it to the point that I tuck my shoelaces in because if they bounce it annoys me. Now, I'm not planning on packing anything that would help me survive the night because if I did that, I might as well pack a daypack and if I can't hike out of anywhere I run to before it gets dark (I run in the morning), I'm probably screwed anyway.

Now, bear in mind that I don't run in anything with pockets. Running shorts and a tee shirt for me.

So, what are my options? What have you guys tried? What do you suggest?

I was thinking of just taking the bladder out of my camel pack and using it as a small backpack. But it seems a little overkill for just a few things.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Black 2DR GTI
      08-03-2012 11:08 PM #2
      A small satchel?

08-03-2012 11:10 PM #3
      You wear a watch? If it's a permeable material, or the bracelet allows it, there are compasses you can attach to watch bands. Plenty of watches that have built in compasses too.

As far as bear spray... can't help you there. All I have here are whitetail deer.

4. 08-03-2012 11:19 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VDubby18 View Post
      You wear a watch? If it's a permeable material, or the bracelet allows it, there are compasses you can attach to watch bands. Plenty of watches that have built in compasses too.

As far as bear spray... can't help you there. All I have here are whitetail deer.
      I do wear a watch (in fact I wear a gps watch).... actually.... it probably does have a compass function.... I just haven't messed with the settings in years. I'd assume I'd have to walk in whatever direction I was facing for it to register my new direction however. And gps can break (I personally only use it to make maps of my runs afterward.)

But along your train of thought, I bet I could tuck my compass into the band of my watch and it would stay there pretty well. I'll try it tomorrow.

EDIT: BTW, the gps watch is pretty much impossible to navigate with. Hence why I don't consider it a useful tool if I ever got lost. Sure, it'll tell you where you ARE (most of the time), but beyond that, it doesn't do much. I don't even think it would make a map (the screen is too small.)

EDIT2: Hm, apparently my watch has a "navigation" function where it'll point you in the right direction as long as you have a destination to go to. Literally, it's an arrow, and you make it point dead ahead and if you keep walking in that direction, you'll get there. But, it's a pain to use and doesn't give you ANY information besides "go that-a-way". Besides, the rechargeable battery on this watch only lasts... 8 hours (when it was brand new) when connected to satellites. Now-a-day, it last about the length of my run, then dies. Sometimes it dies when I'm running.
      Last edited by corradokreep; 08-03-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      08-05-2012 10:03 AM #5
      I'm kinda scratching my head as to why you need all that for a run, but what you need is a fancy Batman utility belt to hold everything in place. This company makes exactly what you want:
      http://www.amphipod.com/
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      08-05-2012 02:14 PM #6
      Inov-8, a trail running shoe company, makes a few hip packs that might work for you. Just make sure your bear spray is very quickly and easily accessible or don't bother bringing it.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

7. 08-06-2012 09:06 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      I'm kinda scratching my head as to why you need all that for a run, but what you need is a fancy Batman utility belt to hold everything in place. This company makes exactly what you want:
      http://www.amphipod.com/
      I actually like a few of their belts. As for why I need to carry a lot of it... well it mostly revolves around the bear spray. It is HIGHLY recommended that you carry bear spray into any of the wilderness, because it is WHEN not IF you see wildlife that could potentially harm you. Every sign you see when entering a trail says "Carry and know how to use bear spray." Then, since the bear spray is so big (it's a pretty big can, think of a large redbull can or slightly smaller than a 40oz beer can), I figured I might as well bring a compass and trail map. (Since they're both smallish. I can't carry the bear spray on a belt without wearing a belt. I can't carry it on my arm cause with as much as my arms move when I run, NOTHING ever stays in place. Not to mention it'd bounce like heck. I don't like carrying it in my hand (weight at end of lever = lots of work to be done).

For now, I've been using an old beat up camel pack that my dogs chewed up without the bladder in it. The compass and map fit into the bottom just fine, and when it's on my back the bear spray seems to stay put at the top of the pack with the handle sticking out so I can easily reach back and grab it. The pack is a bit big for my purposes, and I'd love to be able to carry a simple belt.

Vehicles
      Scirocco, Scirocco Passat
      08-07-2012 11:06 AM #9
      SPI belts are pretty cool. They're small but stretchy - will hold your keys, wallet, phone -or a compass and bear spray
      http://spibelt.com/

Vehicles
      Nissan Pathfinder 4.0l. KTM 250 XC
      08-07-2012 11:30 PM #10
      We see a few search and rescues every summer where I work. And the story is the same every time "I got disoriented and turned around". It shouldn't matter if the bouncing "annoys" you, you need to put your safety first. If you do get lost or hurt and you cant get yourself back home, a search and rescue will cost a lot of money, and put many volunteers in danger while searching for you.

Edit: I'm sure you already know this, but also make sure someone close to you knows your route and your training schedule. Knowing where to look in the vast wilderness is everything.
      Last edited by 02GTIFREESKIER; 08-07-2012 at 11:34 PM.
      Corrado: because I always wanted to get heckled by elitist pricks over the internet.

Vehicles
      2001 Golf GLS, 2013 Rogue, and some running shoes
      08-15-2012 10:58 AM #11
      Asics makes a running pocket for your shoes, it integrates with the laces somehow.

$10 on their website I aw it yesterday.
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      "We" tried it. It was called "metrosexualism" and it didn't work. Now the pendulum is on the other end, where men are trying to prove they're men by growing hillbilly beards. If they'd stop wearing their sister's jeans, it might actually work.

11. 08-23-2012 05:29 AM #12
      Inov-8, a trail running shoe company, makes a few hip packs that might work for you. Just make sure your bear spray is very quickly and easily accessible or don't bother bringing it.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      08-25-2012 11:02 AM #13
      surely you've started to memorize the trails by now.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      08-26-2012 01:05 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by hashimwatson View Post
      +1
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

08-26-2012 09:20 AM #15