Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mars Curiosity Landing

1. Member
      08-06-2012 06:51 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by TASVW View Post
      Seriously. I'm disappoint!
      They better have some high res, color images tomorrow morning

Hell Venera 9 had better image quality in 1975

There is no high speed internet between mars and earth. The rover will first send back optimized low quality images -- followed by the high resolution versions. It takes a long time for the data to trickle in though.

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI. 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6. 2015 Forester (Wife)
      08-06-2012 06:54 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      It's the 21st century. They couldn't have duct tapped an iphone on there to take better color pictures?
      Of the 17 camera on the rover, I think they remembered to make at least one of them color. Maybe more, but you never know with those NASA guys.
      Bro, do you even lift? When you only have 90 horsepower, you don't ever lift.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 1996 GTI VR6 - YouTube Track Videos - flickr

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      08-06-2012 07:01 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by pschmerg View Post
      There is no high speed internet between mars and earth. The rover will first send back optimized low quality images -- followed by the high resolution versions. It takes a long time for the data to trickle in though.
      This.

They send a few quick pictures to show that it landed right side up and whatnot, then the rover performs a self-diagnosis to make sure everything is operational. THEN, it starts collecting data. The battery on the rover should last several years if they don't get too over-zealous at the controls. You'll get pictures, be patient.

This is an amazing feat. Respect.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      08-06-2012 07:02 AM #39
      Dust cover off - still some dust visible when looking right into the sun:

Also, looks like nice gravel to park a car on, or to play football on.
      Last edited by feels_road; 08-06-2012 at 07:09 AM.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI. 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6. 2015 Forester (Wife)
      08-06-2012 07:05 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      They send a few quick pictures to show that it landed right side up and whatnot,
      Looks like the first shots are from the fixed obstacle avoidance cams. Not surprising that those would be B&W for increased processing speed, and low light capability.
      Bro, do you even lift? When you only have 90 horsepower, you don't ever lift.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 1996 GTI VR6 - YouTube Track Videos - flickr

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      08-06-2012 07:26 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Looks like the first shots are from the fixed obstacle avoidance cams. Not surprising that those would be B&W for increased processing speed, and low light capability.
      Exactly!
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      2001 jetta vr6 1998 dodge ram 2500(sold) 2004 r32
      08-06-2012 07:29 AM #42
      This is good. Anyone know why they picked that spot? I wanted to watch but had to get up early for work.
      VRalliance #163
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtechr32 View Post
      Don't know what to tell you but. Welcome to communistcorperatevortex hurry up and drink it before they take it.
      xbl DIRTYTHIRTYTOO

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      08-06-2012 07:42 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by cruizer34 View Post
      This is good. Anyone know why they picked that spot? I wanted to watch but had to get up early for work.
      it's a crater with a mountain in the middle, they are hoping that the mountain is exposing billions of years of geological activity similar to how you see layers in walls of the Grand Canyon.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      08-06-2012 07:44 AM #44
      no one posted this?

edit: nm, it wasn't loading in the first post.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      08-06-2012 07:49 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      no one posted this? [7-minutes-of-terror-video]
      What could go wrong?

I have to say, when I watched the life coverage, I did get a bit nervous for a couple of seconds when the background announcer exclaimed a remaining height of 40 meters and the skycrane rockets still had not fired, or so it appeared.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      08-06-2012 07:54 AM #46
      This.

They send a few quick pictures to show that it landed right side up and whatnot, then the rover performs a self-diagnosis to make sure everything is operational. THEN, it starts collecting data. The battery on the rover should last several years if they don't get too over-zealous at the controls. You'll get pictures, be patient.

IIRC - 12-14 years shelf life for power output (MMRTG)

camera 1600×1200
      10 FPS at 720p (1280×720)
      Last edited by rich!; 08-06-2012 at 08:10 AM.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      08-06-2012 07:58 AM #47

12-13 min video describing the mission

13. 08-06-2012 08:07 AM #48
      Buuuuut I need it NOW NOW NOWNOWNOW NOW NOW NOW NOWNOWNOW give it to me NOW NOWNOWNOW NOW the internet NOWNOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW OMG everything should be instant NOWNOWNOW NOWNOWNOW NOW #thissucksbecauseitsnotinstant NOW NOWNOWNOWNOW
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This has to be my jam right now. If I had a few more subcontractors intothis type of **** the old lady would be done by now. Give me the kayak you know somebody is being a poseureur about.
      Oh My Tumblr: DGDCphotography.tumblr.com

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      08-06-2012 08:28 AM #49
      I love this!!

Soo excited that this is working. I hope lots of kids were watching, too. Maybe even a few got bit by the space bug. I hope....
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      2008 Mazdaspeed 3
      08-06-2012 08:36 AM #50
      So where did the "drop-ship/lander" go? How much earth trash is on Mars now anyways?

Anyways, this is cool and an awesome feat.
      My legend dates back to the 12th Century you see. My legend is quite old. The 12th Century was a long time ago. It was summer and so cold from the snow because it was actually winter or maybe it was Monday. It could have been a Thursday or possibly a Saturday or was it Tuesday though it could have been Wednesday or a Monday.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      08-06-2012 08:39 AM #51
      early report i saw was, around 11.4 million people had viewed the feed. however, no real solid source of that yet though. most of all the sites streaming did end up crashing right after landing though, but were quickly brought back up.

in approximately a week, the rover will start moving around doing some really neat stuff. this is all just initial photography to make sure everything is copacetic.

here's a really good topic on reddit that is covering it all and has links for reading and comparisons to previous Mars rovers:

Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity
      As of 1:31 am, August 6, 2012 (EDT), NASA and Jet Propulsion Lab has successfully landed the Curiosity Rover at the Gale Crater of Mars, as part of the Mars Science Laboratory mission.

This is an exciting moment for all of us and I'm sure many of you are burning with questions. Here is a place for you to submit all your questions regarding the mission, the rover, and Mars!

FAQs (summarized from the official press release):

What is the purpose of the mission?

The four stated objectives are:

Assessing the biological potential by examining organic compounds - the "building blocks of life" - and searching for evidence of biologically relevant processes.

Uncovering the geological processes that formed the rocks and soil found on Mars, by studying the isotopical and mineralogical content of surface materials.

Investigate past and present habitability of Mars and the distribution and cycling of water and carbon dioxide.

Characterize the broad spectrum of surface radiation.

How was the mission site chosen?

In line with the mission objectives, Gale Crater is located at a low elevation, so past water would likely have pooled inside the crater, leaving behind evidence such as clay and sulfate minerals. The impact that created the crater also revealed many different layers, each of which will give clues on the planetary conditions at the time the material was deposited.

While previous landing sites must be chosen to safeguard the landing of the spacecraft, the new "sky crane" landing system allows for a much more accurate landing, which, combined with the mobility of the rover, meant that the mission site can be some distance from the landing site. The primary mission will focus on the lower elevations of the Gale Crater, with possible exploration in the higher slopes in future extended missions.

Why is the "sky crane" used to land the rover?

The Curiosity rover is the biggest - and more importantly, the heaviest - rover landed on Mars. It has a mass of 899 kg, compared to Spirit and Opportunity rovers, coming at 170 kg each. Prior strategies include landing the rover on legs, as the Viking and Phoenix landers did, and using airbags, as Spirit and Opportunity did, but the sheer size and weight of Curiosity means those two methods are not practical.

How long does it take for data to transmit one way between Earth and Mars?

On the day of landing, it takes approximately 13.8 minutes for data to be transmitted one way.

What are the differences between this rover and the previous ones landed on Mars?

For an overview of the scientific payload, see the Wikipedia page. This includes such valuable scientific instruments such as a laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy system, not found in the previous rovers. The gas chromatography system, quadrupole mass spectrometer and tuneable laser spectrometer are also part of the payload, not included in the Spirit and Opportunity rovers.

Why were the first images of such low resolution?

The purpose for the first thumbnail images are to confirm that the Rover has landed and has operational capabilities. These images were taken from the Hazard Avoidance cameras (HazCams), rather than the main cameras. More images will be sent in the next window 15 hours after landing in order to pinpoint the landing site.

The Rover has a Mars Descent Imager capable of 1600 x 1200 video at 4 frames per second. The MastCam (with Bayer filter) is capable of 1600 x 1200 photographs, along with 720p video at 4 - 7 fps. The Hands Lens Imager is capable of the same image resolution for magnified or close-up images. The ChemCam can take 1024 x 1024 monochromatic images with telescopic capabilities. These cameras will be activated as part of the commissioning process with the rest of the scientific payload in the upcoming days/weeks.

How is Curiosity powered?

The Rover contains a radioisotope thermoelectric power generator, powered by 4.8 kg of plutonium dioxide. It is designed to provide power for at least 14 years.

When will Curiosity take its first drive? When will experimentation begin?

The first drive will take place more than one week after landing. It will take several weeks to a month to ensure that all systems are ready for science operations.
      http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/c...aboratory_and/
      welcome to the layer cake

08-06-2012 08:40 AM #52
      If I understood correctly the platform would simply fly off and crash in a remote location once it dropped its load.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      08-06-2012 08:52 AM #53
      Does anyone have a link to what was the live feed of the landing? I can't seem to find it. Surely it was recorded somewhere. I missed it

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      08-06-2012 08:53 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      If I understood correctly the platform would simply fly off and crash in a remote location once it dropped its load.
      Resisting urge to edit this in an impolite manner.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

20. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      08-06-2012 09:00 AM #55
      here's a quick vid from youtube. basically everything that happened on their checklist, people would start clapping and appear more excited. this video picks up during deceleration and lowering of the rover itself.

welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      08-06-2012 09:06 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      here's a quick vid from youtube. basically everything that happened on their checklist, people would start clapping and appear more excited. this video picks up during deceleration and lowering of the rover itself.

@1:20, the girls in the lower right get perhaps a little too friendly for coworkers?

Vehicles
      A old saab Turbo.
      08-06-2012 09:11 AM #57
      Yes.
      And if i remember correctly there was 78 or so Pyrotechnic charges that had to go off on time in the right sequence (IE , Jettison heat shield , Ballast , sky crane ect ect...) Or the whole thing would be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal.
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

23. 08-06-2012 09:52 AM #58
      That sounds like a typical Saturday night back in college
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

08-06-2012 09:54 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      That sounds like a typical Saturday night back in college
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      08-06-2012 10:44 AM #60
      Pretty awesome that this very un-KISS landing opeartion worked. Much kudos to those rocket scientist in NASA/JPL. US is getting this Mars thing down.

26. 08-06-2012 10:57 AM #61
      Science

So awesome and glad were doing this deep space exploration instead of bouncing around the moon.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      '07 Mini Cooper S, '91 318is Frankenstien With a built eta swap.
      08-06-2012 11:26 AM #62
      God damn, we're good.

The battery on the rover should last several years if they don't get too over-zealous at the controls.
      It doesn't really have a battery as people think of it, it uses an RTG. The nuclear material generates heat that is converted to energy with a thermoelectric device.

They don't really get any say in regulating the output once the material is in there. It'll slowly die over time regardless if they use 100% of the output or 10.
      All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

08-06-2012 11:39 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by intercedeGLI View Post
      I was just watching the NASA Eyes on the Solar System live simulation of the landing while watching a live stream of JPL mission control while engineers turned satelites to provide live telemetry data of a space craft flying across the solar system landing within 200 meters of its target.

What were you watching?
      that and the olympics simultaneously.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      DRZ400sm, CB550four, ACR Neon and a Subie Outback Wagon
      08-06-2012 11:48 AM #64
      I wish I would have remembered this!

I was out back with my 2 yr old playing in the sandbox last night and he noticed a star and said he wanted to go see it. He wanted me to lift him up to see it better and then he told me he wanted to fly to it. He was pretty upset we couldn't fly to it really quick. You'd think it would have jogged my memory that something awesome was about to happen...

08-06-2012 12:02 PM #65
      It's unfortunate more people weren't aware this was happening, as that seemed to be the case for many that I know.

08-06-2012 12:29 PM #66
      This.

The Cursiosity rover is powered, in part, by RTG units. Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator. Nuclear power pods if you will. The one used on this craft has about 4kg or Plutonium 238 per a RTG. Maximum output of 110W (electricity) and 2000W (heat). I don't think a lot of people realize this. It's used to not only provide electricity but to also provide warmth for the electronics during the cold nights.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Vehicles
      2011 Genesis 3.8 R-spec
      08-06-2012 01:03 PM #67
      So cool... I for one am glad it wasn't commercialized and hosted by Ryan Seacrest or something stupid.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      He did this at 22 old. He is world strongest man. President Obama ordered him to stop but truth must come out. Buy silver in middle of week.

Vehicles
      2014 GTI Drivers Ed Edition, black/dust, non-manly DSG, 2009 Honda Element EX. blue w/ bird ****
      08-06-2012 01:04 PM #68
      So, the landing was flawless, except for the poor cat that got crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      The Cursiosity rover is powered, in part, by RTG units. Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator. Nuclear power pods if you will. The one used on this craft has about 4kg or Plutonium 238 per a RTG. Maximum output of 110W (electricity) and 2000W (heat). I don't think a lot of people realize this. It's used to not only provide electricity but to also provide warmth for the electronics during the cold nights.

That's awesome!

08-06-2012 01:06 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      So cool... I for one am glad it wasn't commercialized and hosted by Ryan Seacrest or something stupid.
      NASA's the only government agency that has more class than that.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      A old saab Turbo.
      08-06-2012 01:45 PM #70
      here is a size comparison of all the NASA rovers. This is a awesome feet landing like it did. When you factor in its size.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal.
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast