Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to Geld your bunny, and it still works correctly.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-05-2012 06:53 PM #1
      Are you tired of hearing "What are those for""

Well folks have asked ove rthe years how can I get rid of those and still have
      my heater vents work under acceleration?

Get thee to a wrecking yard, and find a 92-2000 Dodge Caravan, and on the back of the throttle body
      you will find a big check valve.

Side by side with the VW one.

Remove the check valve and hose off your car cut or pry off do not pull and break the nipple off.
      Remove the Balls off the car
      Remove the 3 foot or so of vacuum lines "t"fitting and tube.

Re-run the Lines as from the Brake line nipple over to the feed through on the body
      I use the hard line so that I can eliminate clogging up the rain drain.

Connect the new check valve so that the valve will draw air to the engine to the engine hose.
      Then connect then other end to the feed through to the air plenum.

Congratulations you have just Gelded your rabbit, and retained the functionality
      of the vents not cycling from front to defrost under acceleration.

And you now have a new replacement strap for the seat back release 2fer Sunday.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '00 Jetta TDI, '86 Cabby
      08-05-2012 11:59 PM #2
      I like it! Definitely smaller than what I did- I put in a Fox vacuum ball:

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet
      08-06-2012 02:17 AM #3
      maybe this is the reason my vent selector switch does nothing. I can set it to any setting, and it stays on defrost mainly. I can hear some noise when selecting different settings but not much of a difference. Heat still comes from vents, even if the temp is set to cold.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 GTI Thunder Bunny, 1968 Chevelle
      08-06-2012 02:38 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by jakemoore89 View Post
      maybe this is the reason my vent selector switch does nothing. I can set it to any setting, and it stays on defrost mainly. I can hear some noise when selecting different settings but not much of a difference. Heat still comes from vents, even if the temp is set to cold.
      I was about to post the same thing!

Vehicles
      1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet, 1989 Chevy S10
      08-06-2012 11:02 AM #5
      The grommet that seals the vacuum line into the balls on mine is broken. I might have to do this. All my vents do is hiss. Air comes out of the defrost and side vents constantly. Center vent doesn't work. But hey, the floor vents work on command!

6. 06-21-2014 11:40 PM #6
      Briano, would you know the part # for the check valve? I was at the O'reilly parts place and the manager had a 89 Caravan, and we looked inside in the area of the throttle body but only saw some kind of a vacuum valve with an electrical connection. He said there are 12 different check valves for that model and he would have to know which one. Is it a one way check valve or a two way check valve. Thanks
      Jim

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      06-22-2014 06:03 PM #7
      No I don't know the part number but on my 92 it was there.

Where are my grounds ?

8. 06-23-2014 09:41 AM #8
      Thanks, anyway. I stopped by the auto parts stores and you know, if it isn't obviously in the computer, it doesn't exist. So, I'll stop by a Dodge dealer. I'm a long way from any salvage yards so I end up buying a lot of new stuff and they all want a part number. Did you replace your Golden Egg Crate or do you still have it there just for the fun of it? We're having a fit getting the hvac on this '87 working. It had really been boogered up by somebody. No vacuum reservoir, no check valve, fresh air flap screwed shut, blower motor inoperative, fan switch gets so hot it will burn your fingers, and that's just for starters. Fortunately, my son-in-law is a very good mechanic(flys jets for a living). Thanks for your help. The various threads you've started on the repairs of the HVAC system are very, very, good. I really appreciate them and all the time you spend helping people like me.
      Jim

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      06-23-2014 01:29 PM #9
      Fan switch getting hot tells me that your ground wire is resistive,,,, Look for the white connector on the drivers side of the air box It comes from the controls, down to the left, then back up to the motor... The connector on 4 of my cabbies has been toasty (burnt) at that ground..... It picks up ground from the steering mount and then feeds it to the connector then up to the motor.

Where are my grounds ?