Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: OT: New Zealand motorhome holiday

1. 08-06-2012 04:07 AM #1
      Hej oop

Off to the North(east) Island on saturdya for a week and a bit in a 4berth motorhome. Have requested the Fiat Ducato manual turbo diesel version as it's essentially my car with a house on it. Could possibly end up with a crafter VAG version though, okay.. That's the ontopic car stuff done with.

We've a week to drive around, in and out of Auckland. Cathy is keen to smell Roturua but that's about all we have so far for an itienary. I know there a few Kiwis amongst us, so where are the cool spots for a motorhome/camping trip of the lower North Island. I've hired a camper that can free camp properly, so campsites with spectacular views and nature on tap are preferred. Sticking to the bottom half as I don't think we enough time to do it all and relax at the same time.

Craig
      Last edited by craig_m5; 08-06-2012 at 04:09 AM.

2. 08-06-2012 04:08 AM #2
      Bay of Islands is quite nice, but not so sure in the chilly climates.
      We went during summer and hired jet skis. Awesome fun.

3. 08-06-2012 05:20 AM #3
      Do I want the TomTom iPhone app, doesn't appear to get good reviews on the app page... Or a new/torrent map for my trusty TomTomOne?

4. 08-06-2012 05:31 AM #4
      Or torrent tomtom for the phone? I'd say option 3.

5. 08-06-2012 05:38 AM #5
      HE'D HAVE TO JAILBREAK HIS PHONE AND LOSE HIS WARRANTY OOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMGGG!!!

heh

6. 08-06-2012 05:45 AM #6
      Meh(it's a work phone).. It's more about how good is TomTom on the iPhone .. I'm reading that it sucksstevesballs and a dedicated device can't be beat, anybody used the iPhone version ?

I've already got a TomTom so a torrent of NZ is in the sniffing.

7. Senior Member
      08-06-2012 05:55 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by The Pork Hunt View Post
      HE'D HAVE TO JAILBREAK HIS PHONE AND LOSE HIS WARRANTY OOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMGGG!!!

heh
      Is this my old phone Craig? Keep it pure. Dont jailbreak it. I've never jail broken any of mine.

Speaking of which, I have an iPad 1, iPad 2 and maybe even iPad 3 (thinking of gettin the 4G stuff from Telstra/Samsung). Anyone?

Back on topic, I am very keen to see how you guys go. I want to do NZ tour one day, either pre book some nice B&Bs along the way or keep it camper home.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

8. 08-06-2012 05:59 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      Is this my old phone Craig? Keep it pure. Dont jailbreak it. I've never jail broken any of mine.

Speaking of which, I have an iPad 1, iPad 2 and maybe even iPad 3 (thinking of gettin the 4G stuff from Telstra/Samsung). Anyone?
      You don't know whether you have an ipad 3 or not? And Craig is going to take iphone from advice from this guy??!

It's a 2 min, single app job to jailbreak, 5 mins later and you'll have the required app of your choice. Whenever I travel, I download it, it's convenient and works well. Only downside is battery life, but not a problem if you've got a car charger. Means one less thing to get stolen/lose.

9. 08-06-2012 06:11 AM #9
      Wayne just went down another rung in my estimation.

10. 08-06-2012 06:23 AM #10
      Cathy (ABC RN) has Waynes old iphone4. I have a work iPhone 4s and whilst i could easily jailbreak it (or have my minions do it ).. i can't be arsed. I'm not touching Cathys phone, i don't think anybody would suggest i phuck with that.

Question really goes to how good is the tomtom app, i'm happy to pay.
      Does it need a cradle booster thingy ?
      Does it need a permanent iNet connection, or can it work stand alone ?

the iNet vacilliates between it's okay or it sucksballs as it keeps wanting to geotagmyarsetofacebookcontacts etc.

I just want somethign that works, the idea of one less thing to lose is appealing if it works standalone and is just as good as a tomtom.

Way - how much you want for the iPad two or three, do they have 3G sim thingies (or is that what the 4G comment means) and can you overnight it to Brisbane before Friday.. ?

11. Senior Member
      08-06-2012 07:13 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      You don't know whether you have an ipad 3 or not? And Craig is going to take iphone from advice from this guy??!

It's a 2 min, single app job to jailbreak, 5 mins later and you'll have the required app of your choice. Whenever I travel, I download it, it's convenient and works well. Only downside is battery life, but not a problem if you've got a car charger. Means one less thing to get stolen/lose.
      No I meant I have an iPad 3 - actually I have two, just don't know if I want to keep or sell one.

12. Senior Member
      08-06-2012 07:14 AM #12
      Wayne just went down another rung in my estimation.
      Hahaha all my friends bug me to jailbreak my Apple stuff but I refuse too on ethical grounds.

13. Senior Member
      08-06-2012 07:19 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by craig_m5 View Post
      Cathy (ABC RN) has Waynes old iphone4. I have a work iPhone 4s and whilst i could easily jailbreak it (or have my minions do it ).. i can't be arsed. I'm not touching Cathys phone, i don't think anybody would suggest i phuck with that.

Question really goes to how good is the tomtom app, i'm happy to pay.
      Does it need a cradle booster thingy ?
      Does it need a permanent iNet connection, or can it work stand alone ?

the iNet vacilliates between it's okay or it sucksballs as it keeps wanting to geotagmyarsetofacebookcontacts etc.

I just want somethign that works, the idea of one less thing to lose is appealing if it works standalone and is just as good as a tomtom.

Way - how much you want for the iPad two or three, do they have 3G sim thingies (or is that what the 4G comment means) and can you overnight it to Brisbane before Friday.. ?
      I can overnight it to you tomorrow no prob. The iPad3 that I am thinking of replacing with the Samsung Galaxy 4G doesn't have the 3G sim card thingy, but the iPad 2 does. It is a 64GB 3G (top of the range) in white. $450 will do me which is much cheaper than anything on fleabay etc I believe. By quite a margin.

14. 08-06-2012 07:30 AM #14
      Hahaha all my friends bug me to jailbreak my Apple stuff but I refuse too on ethical grounds.
      what ethical grounds?

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...-jailbreaking/

15. Senior Member
      08-06-2012 07:38 AM #15
      Oh I see...time to do it then.

16. 08-07-2012 06:18 AM #16
      Need an Auckland hotel recommendation, just the one night before we pick up the motor home and then again when we leave. Cathy is having no luck/confidence finding anything mid budget nice.... Recommendations business travelers please

Edit: Sorted exec decision taken (forbetterorworse). Crown plaza marina view
      Last edited by craig_m5; 08-07-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      08-07-2012 07:42 AM #17
      You don't need a GPS in NZ. There are 3 roads that run north south (one on each side and another in the middle) and some cross streets.