Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Best thing to do for Cedar Deck

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      08-06-2012 09:22 AM #1
      Ok, so we put on a Cedar deck that is around 700 sq ft. We haven't stained it or done anything with it.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I'm worried if we do stain it that in 2 years the nightmare will return and I'll be doing it all over again.

What else can you do? I'm assuming nothing will just cause the deck to grey overtime, no?

Any help appreciated..
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

08-06-2012 09:57 AM #2
      Why did you spend the money on cedar if you're just going to treat it? It's naturally weather and bug resistant.

Let it gray and power-wash it every couple of years.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 12:39 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Why did you spend the money on cedar if you're just going to treat it? It's naturally weather and bug resistant.

Let it gray and power-wash it every couple of years.
      Assumed you had to treat it (I knew it was "rot" resistant naturally).

What do you need to put on before a gentle pressure wash?
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

08-06-2012 12:44 PM #4
      It has natural oils that make it water resistant. You could seal it. I don't think that will do any harm, but don't expect that to keep it from turning gray.

You're probably better off not using a power-washer on cedar as it's very, very, soft and high-pressure water could easily remove material. They make deck wash that you brush on and hose off. That would be better.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 12:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      It has natural oils that make it water resistant. You could seal it. I don't think that will do any harm, but don't expect that to keep it from turning gray.

You're probably better off not using a power-washer on cedar as it's very, very, soft and high-pressure water could easily remove material. They make deck wash that you brush on and hose off. That would be better.
      So in a couple of years simply brush on special deck wash, hose off and it should look like new again?

Seems to good to be true..
      -Akio Toyoda

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      08-06-2012 03:36 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by SteveMKIIDub View Post
      So in a couple of years simply brush on special deck wash, hose off and it should look like new again?
      Sort of. Any wood in the sun is going to fade and wear, regardless of deck stain or not. Cedar just happens to be a little more resilient depending on your area. NO deck stain is going to last more than a few seasons without needing reapplication or cleaning.

Also, pressure washing is OK, but you need to make sure you use the low PSI nozzles or you'll remove the soft wood on top and it will leave ridges (ask me how I know).

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 06:05 PM #7
      So by doing nothing, but every year or so just cleaning and washing off (no sanding) it should "return" back to normal?

I only splurged for cedar because it was $0.86 / LF. Didn't seem so bad!
      -Akio Toyoda

08-09-2012 05:22 PM #8
      I used this stuff on my Cedar deck it's awesome http://www.penofin.com/products_rl.shtml

it works like a charm you can simply spray it on its all natural and it keeps the Cedar from turning grey.

9. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      08-09-2012 07:49 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by drhavoc View Post

What is that, knotty pine? I'd be afraid I was stepping on something or going to trip over something.