Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Stains on wheels

1. 08-06-2012 02:53 PM #1
      My girlfriend's Lexus IS250 has terrible black stains on the wheels. I asked her when the stains appeared and of course she has no clue. Asked her if it was after she took her car to get washed and she had no idea.

I tried to remove with Mother's Mag polish, clay bar and detailer spray, and bug and tar remover with no luck.

Can anyone suggest something to try and remove these stains?

2. 08-08-2012 07:53 PM #2
      Nobody has any suggestions?

Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      08-09-2012 07:34 AM #3
      "Mag" polish?

That's for bare metal wheels, not painted/clearcoated wheels.

That looks like a mix of water, brake dust, some tire shine that turned corrosive and stained the clearcoat.

Try a cleaner wax and from there, work "up" to various levels of polish to get it out.

4. 08-09-2012 09:43 AM #4
      Like jman5000 said, those rims are coated. Mag &Aluminum Polish isn't the correct product to use. It should turn black when rubbed on metal, and as you saw, it didn't.

A cleaner wax would be a good place to start. Personally, I use a plastic polish on a coated rim. When used with a PowerBall or PowerCone, it only takes a few minutes.

5. 08-09-2012 04:41 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by forrest View Post
      Like jman5000 said, those rims are coated. Mag &Aluminum Polish isn't the correct product to use. It should turn black when rubbed on metal, and as you saw, it didn't.

A cleaner wax would be a good place to start. Personally, I use a plastic polish on a coated rim. When used with a PowerBall or PowerCone, it only takes a few minutes.
      Thanks guys, will give it a shot and see how it goes.