Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: They think I am crazy...

1. 08-06-2012 05:13 PM #1
      Ok, I am not quite sure where to start so please have patience with me. There seems to be several odd things going on with my 2006 2.0t. Last year my air conditioner would only do "frigidly" cold air. I would have to open the windows to warm up. I am a person who loves to be on the cold side, I freeze people out and yet my car froze me out. The VWdealer said this was normal. This year my air conditioner has ran on the warm side. The defroster has always seemed to struggle with condensation on the window , I don't know if this could be related?

Within the last couple of weeks, when I back up out of the garage and then drive forward, there is an almost "grrrr" coming from the engine, but within 30 seconds it disappears, stops if I take my foot off of the accelerator and won't happen again until the next day. I have been waiting to take it in because being female and taking it in to the shop only has them looking at me and not quite believing me.

Today, while driving a bong came on, a warning appeared on my dash and showed an oil can and warning that said low oil reassure, stop engine. By the time I could get over to the side, about 20 seconds, it was gone. It is still gone but I am a bit frightened to drive it.

I called my dealership and they have no openings until next week.....advice from those here would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      07 passat 2.0t wagon,09 vw cc vr6 4motion
      08-06-2012 06:49 PM #2
      check oil level might be low
      strictly a lower case poster Mods waaaaaaay too many to list

3. 08-06-2012 08:01 PM #3
      Thank you. I let the engine rest for about an hour and just checked. The dipstick is dry as a bone! I am in shock, it is not due for another oil change until about 500 more miles. This car let's me know when the windshield washer fluid is low, but I have low oil and it doesn't tell me until I am this low? Yikes! I guess I learned a lesson, I need to check more often. Do you suppose that the hundred degree temperatures in our area have affected the oil usage?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T
      08-06-2012 08:13 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Tamarahope View Post
      Thank you. I let the engine rest for about an hour and just checked. The dipstick is dry as a bone! I am in shock, it is not due for another oil change until about 500 more miles. This car let's me know when the windshield washer fluid is low, but I have low oil and it doesn't tell me until I am this low? Yikes! I guess I learned a lesson, I need to check more often. Do you suppose that the hundred degree temperatures in our area have affected the oil usage?
      2006 and 2007's are known for high oil consumption. I've had "little" issues with my newly purchased 2006, but I better knock wood. How often do you change the oil?

5. 08-06-2012 09:11 PM #5
      About every 3,000 miles.

6. 08-06-2012 09:28 PM #6
      You have to add anywhere from a half qt to a quart for every 1000 miles just about depending on your car

Vehicles
      2007 Sport 2, 6 speed
      08-07-2012 02:04 PM #7
      Do your own oil changes, use high quality synthetic VW approved oil 5W-40 and keep an eye on it

there is a lot of regurgitated "facts" that get tossed around that could be misleading if taken out of context. There are too many factors that affect oil consumption to lump whole model years into the equation.

I use Pentosin Synthetic 5W-40 and change at 7000 intervals, usage in that period is 1/2 quart or less and has been that way for 67000 miles.

I broke my engine in properly and have all the recalls done, you parobably cannot control the breakin at this point but you can use the right oil, dont overfill it and pay attention to your cars burn rate.
      2007 2.0T Sport 2, 6 speed, Dynaudio, Koni FSD