Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU Tuning

Vehicles
      06 Passat V6 4Motion Sport
      08-06-2012 08:14 PM #1
      I've been considering getting this done but I still have some questions. I have had experience with GIAC and APR on my past 1.8T cars, but there doesn't seem to be much info on the interwebs about the 3.6l (understandably). Has anyone here had this done to their car, and what are your impressions? Any opinions as to the best tuner? Thanks!
      2006 Passat V6 4Motion
      United Gray, Black Leather, Sport Pkg 2, Dynaudio-600W, paddle shifters, 18" Matte Black Samarkands, Hi Def rear lip, K&N, Magnaflow center muffler - deleted rears, 4" Magnaflow tips, H&R Sport Springs, Plasti-dipped grille & trunk panel, LEDs.

08-10-2012 07:52 PM #2
      Im going to be doing a 3.6 swap into our 98 jetta vr and doing the immo defeat and tuning myself, also im going to make a nitrous tune and im thinking about a low boost turbo tune also possibly with rs4 injectors similar to what big turbo 2.0t guys do for more fuel. I guess ill let you know when i get finished with my n/a tune.
      ME7 MK4 1.8T/VR6 IMMOBILIZER DEFEATS available, NJ local, IM for details or call 908 887 0265
      Launch control NOW Available for most ME7 ECU's. MK4 VR6 Turbo Software with Launch Control and No Lift Shift!!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      08-10-2012 09:32 PM #3
      Only revo and unitronic offer flashes for the 3.6. If you have an 06-07 with throttle lag, either flash will resolve the lag.

Revo and Uni tuned owners both report much improved throttle response and a more lively feel. Uni claims higher hp gains than revo. Revo claims a range of 15-25hp and 15-25 lb depending on the condition of the engine.

Uni claims 28hp 24tq.

I've dealt with both companies (other cars) and IMO, Uni offered much better customer service. I actually have 2 unanswered emails out to Revo right now. 2 weeks and zero response.

That being said, the Uni claims on this one seem high. That's a big gain for a naturally aspirated engine.

I dont recall reading where anyone was unhappy with either tune. Best thing is to look for the nearest dealer and go with what's closest.

FYI...I plan to get the Uni flash soon.
      Last edited by Incrementalg; 08-10-2012 at 09:36 PM.

08-11-2012 11:05 AM #4
      Well i dont see those numbers being off at all. The Cayanne, comes with 300hp and 295tq, so more than likely they are flashing a modified version of that and eliminating the throttle lag.
      ME7 MK4 1.8T/VR6 IMMOBILIZER DEFEATS available, NJ local, IM for details or call 908 887 0265
      Launch control NOW Available for most ME7 ECU's. MK4 VR6 Turbo Software with Launch Control and No Lift Shift!!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 24v jetta
      08-12-2012 12:20 AM #5
      I think UM does tunes as well. At least they will do the immo delete last time I talked to them.

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 4Mo 3.6L Wagon, 98 VRt, 2010 Routan/Caravan :)
      08-12-2012 12:05 PM #6
      Jeff Atwood (United Motorsports) has one in the works.

08-13-2012 12:48 AM #7
      Well i should be getting an ecu to work with soon and i am planning on writing my own tune for the 3.6 swap ill be doing in mine an my fiances 98 jetta vr6. Currently have ME7 from a mk4 12v vr6 and have already written my own tune for that and we both like it better than the off the shelf GIAC tune considering all the mods we have done to our motor and trans. Really looking forward to writing a tune for the 3.6 and im really thinking the low boost turbo tune will be a cool option to have, im just doing the research now to see what are the limits of the fuel injectors also as i mentioned before we will have a nitrous setup too and ill make a great tune for that also since nobody offers one for any vr6. I already have one for our 12v. So if this thread stays alive ill post back in here when i start working on it.

Vehicles
      08-13-2012 05:40 PM #8
      Jeff Atwood (United Motorsports) has one in the works.
      Thanks! I sent an email to UM and am awaiting a response. I'm not as interested in Revo based on testimonials from various people, but I can't seem to find any dyno sheets on the Unitronic. I'm not big on dropping $4-500 on a product that I haven't fully researched.
      2006 Passat V6 4Motion
      United Gray, Black Leather, Sport Pkg 2, Dynaudio-600W, paddle shifters, 18" Matte Black Samarkands, Hi Def rear lip, K&N, Magnaflow center muffler - deleted rears, 4" Magnaflow tips, H&R Sport Springs, Plasti-dipped grille & trunk panel, LEDs.

08-13-2012 06:54 PM #9
      I totally understand that, um is the better of the tuning company's for sure and I dont charge Anything near what the big company's charge when i tune. Let me know how th UM tune works out.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      08-13-2012 11:11 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
      Thanks! I sent an email to UM and am awaiting a response. I'm not as interested in Revo based on testimonials from various people, but I can't seem to find any dyno sheets on the Unitronic. I'm not big on dropping $4-500 on a product that I haven't fully researched.
      I'd like to hear what UM has to offer. Am I right in thinking a UM tune would require shipping the ECU to them?

Vehicles
      08-14-2012 02:35 PM #11
      I dont charge Anything near what the big company's charge when i tune.
      Am I understanding you correctly that you actually do CPU tuning, as well?
      2006 Passat V6 4Motion

Vehicles
      His: '08 B6 3.6 4mo Wagon Hers: '10 CC Sport 6MT + '03 GTI 1.8T/5MT
      08-14-2012 04:37 PM #12
      UM is working on a tune.

And good luck getting info from Unitronic about their tune. (which is an exact 10% increase from the stock numbers) Ive been waiting for 5 months to hear back from them. I dont think a response is coming. I contacted them directly, and had my local dealer ask. Never heard back about official gains.

Keep in mind; 06-07 cars have a dual stage manifold like the r32's. 08's and newer 3.6's have a single stage top end manifold.

see here: Intake Mani Comparison

Each manifold has its own pros/cons, but the fact that uni and revo state the 06-08 passats can use the same off the shelf ,tune to me, is a red flag. a variable intake manifold plenum/port at certain rpms is not something that the car should be able to adapt for. So an 06 tune, i wouldn't feel comfortable putting on an 08 if its looking for that changeover process. and vice versa.

These cars also have the ability to adjust cam timing/profiling, along with the typical govener, tps, and timing changes most nat asp. tuners make.

wait for an official UM tune, it will be your best bet. They have been tuning the mkv r32 with a 3.6l 6spd swap. I'm positive it wont dissappoint.
      -Devin :: Bt/shaved bay Jetta, never running:: PART OUT THREAD
      :: B6 3.6 4MO Passat Wagon ::

Vehicles
      08-14-2012 06:03 PM #13
      Great link. Thanks, Devin!
      2006 Passat V6 4Motion

08-15-2012 04:22 AM #14
      Yes i do my own tuning and immobilizer defeats. So I will be tuning my 3.6 ECU when i get it. Also will be setting it up for the swap into the fiances andy 98 Jetta GLX. Ill make an n/a tune first amd the make a nos tune for a 75 shot then one more for duel stage 75 shots. This will a brutally fast Jetta when im done with it. Im gping to have to get rid of the rev hang, small which will be taken care of with a light weight fly wheel and stage 4 clutchmasters clutch. Im also having the crank pulley lightened (taking the 1" lip off). To balance the effect of the l/w flywheel. Im going to add lsd to my custom geared trans. Ill continue to update after i receive my ecu for my swap.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01 24v jetta
      08-16-2012 10:06 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by vwmaniac16vr6 View Post
      Yes i do my own tuning and immobilizer defeats. So I will be tuning my 3.6 ECU when i get it. Also will be setting it up for the swap into the fiances andy 98 Jetta GLX. Ill make an n/a tune first amd the make a nos tune for a 75 shot then one more for duel stage 75 shots. This will a brutally fast Jetta when im done with it. Im gping to have to get rid of the rev hang, small which will be taken care of with a light weight fly wheel and stage 4 clutchmasters clutch. Im also having the crank pulley lightened (taking the 1" lip off). To balance the effect of the l/w flywheel. Im going to add lsd to my custom geared trans. Ill continue to update after i receive my ecu for my swap.
      So just curious. I'm looking at doing the 3.6 on ITBs. Are you using the full fsi setup? How are you controlling the fsi? I'm looking at doing standalone. So just looking at the other side.

08-18-2012 05:52 PM #16
      i will be running the full FSI setup on with the factory ecu as far as ITB's go you would have the eliminate the maf and error code and use the o2 sensor and air temp sensor as the primary fueling maps. as i have not received my ecu as of yet i dont know if its possible with the structure of the MED9 ecu to modify it to that point. ill let you know as i get farther along, also you would have to over come the DBW aspect of this management system too.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      08-20-2012 03:59 PM #17
      After reading these posts and doing some online searching for UM, I'm getting more and more interested in a UM tune for my 3.6. There are a couple of dealers nearby, so once the details become available, I'll consider taking the UM plunge.

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 04:10 PM #18
      Ill give a good write up soon on the tune once I get some more drive time, and hopefully go back to the track to compare differences in 1/4 et, and trap speed. I believe Me and Jessie are the only ones who have it currently for a 3.6.

I can say that the UM tune has made the car more linear, smoother, overall great car to drive. The power is literally at my foot whenever I want, and upper rpms are GREAT. Zero buyers remorse at this point in time. The power curve is great and the car is super super smooth. My file was written for the black single stage manifold, which I think has a bit more top end potential. The car doesn't stop pulling all the way to redline.

Normal driving is great and reserved, with plenty of power for just getting around, and WOT is like unleashing beast mode. Its how the car should've been

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 03:15 PM #19
      I look forward very much to both your write-up and more info from UM.
      2006 Passat V6 4Motion

08-23-2012 10:14 AM #20
      the cayenne file isnt much different than the Passat 3.6 file. (my opinion)

pedal ouput table is steeper: to deal with the larger vehicle. You end up with a bit less pedal vs throttle resolution, it 'seems' more agressive.
      Drive a Cayenne: its not exactly 'fast'.
      Intake manifold tuning is different.
      (different manifold)
      The 'feel' of the tuning is more Porsche like, kinda snappy. Where the Passat is taylored for VW feel.
      Transmission tuning plays a part in how the car feels too.

None of these really add up to a lot 'more' power. (my opinion)

The key difference to making more power is hardware. US spec cars dont get all the goodies.

If anyone wants to feel the Cayenne vs Passat tune difference: Come to my shop in CT. We can try it on my spare ecu.

Jeffrey Atwood
      UnitedMotorsport.net
      Email UnitedMotorsport
      Funny how launch control and NLS were gimmicks when Matt bought it to med9.
      Now others are using it to make people think the sun shines out of their 4$$.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2012 10:55 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by DBVeeDB View Post
      Ill give a good write up soon on the tune once I get some more drive time, and hopefully go back to the track to compare differences in 1/4 et, and trap speed. I believe Me and Jessie are the only ones who have it currently for a 3.6.

I can say that the UM tune has made the car more linear, smoother, overall great car to drive. The power is literally at my foot whenever I want, and upper rpms are GREAT. Zero buyers remorse at this point in time. The power curve is great and the car is super super smooth. My file was written for the black single stage manifold, which I think has a bit more top end potential. The car doesn't stop pulling all the way to redline.

Normal driving is great and reserved, with plenty of power for just getting around, and WOT is like unleashing beast mode. Its how the car should've been
      Thanks for the comments. Was the pricing for the UM tune in the realm of Revo ($400)and Unitrinic($550) pricing?

Thanks

Vehicles
      08-23-2012 02:44 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Jefnes3 View Post
      the cayenne file isnt much different than the Passat 3.6 file. (my opinion)

Intake manifold tuning is different.
      (different manifold)

Jeffrey Atwood
      How different are the intake manifolds? I've always wondered if any of the Cayenne parts would be worthwhile upgrades on the Passat.

Any news on pricing, availability or numbers on the Passat 3.6 tune? I'm dyin' over here!
      2006 Passat V6 4Motion

23. Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2012 11:25 PM #23
      Emailed UM this evening re price and availability. I'll share details unless they post here first or say they're not ready to release.

I'm more interested in better throttle response than power increase. The throttle lag and sudden tip in at low rpm and rolling starts drives me nuts. Hit some traffic today on the highway and the herky jerky throttle has finally convinced me to get a tune.

Vehicles
      08-24-2012 02:40 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Incrementalg View Post
      Emailed UM this evening re price and availability. I'll share details unless they post here first or say they're not ready to release.

I'm more interested in better throttle response than power increase. The throttle lag and sudden tip in at low rpm and rolling starts drives me nuts. Hit some traffic today on the highway and the herky jerky throttle has finally convinced me to get a tune.
      stop over analyzing and just buy the damn software.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      08-24-2012 06:31 PM #25
      stop over analyzing and just buy the damn software.
      I'd love to, but no word how much, when and where it can be done. The previous posts make it seem as though it's not widely available yet.
      Last edited by Incrementalg; 08-24-2012 at 07:01 PM.

08-27-2012 09:05 PM #26
      I think i may have lost (or simply cannot find) your email, so I will post some info here.

We have a nice line of 3.6L FSI tuning available:

N/A tune for native 3.6L FSi cars: Passat, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne
      Devin (now)
      Nater (next time I see him)

Turbo 3.6 FSI tuning:
      Keep OEM FSI fuel system, other swap over to R32-like port injection.
      Example: UM UK 3.6L Turbo Mk4 4Mo

Fully sorted 3.6 FSi swap:
      Immo defeat
      Vin cloning (i.e. so your swap car ecu vin matches the car)
      Proper error deletes for missing components
      Proper tuning changes for manual transmission vs tiptronic
      Examples:
      Mk3 3.6L FSI Swap at Waterfest 17
      Jesse's Mk5 R36

Standard tune: $450
      Swap tuning: $699
      Turbo tuning: Starting $999

Just ask if you have any more questions.

-Jeffrey Atwood
      UnitedMotorsport.net
      Email UnitedMotorsport
      Funny how launch control and NLS were gimmicks when Matt bought it to med9.
      Now others are using it to make people think the sun shines out of their 4$$.

Vehicles
      08-27-2012 09:36 PM #27
      Jeffrey,

Do you have estimates for gains on the native 3.6 tune?
      2006 Passat V6 4Motion

28. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2012 09:59 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Jefnes3 View Post
      I think i may have lost (or simply cannot find) your email, so I will post some info here.

We have a nice line of 3.6L FSI tuning available:

N/A tune for native 3.6L FSi cars: Passat, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne
      Devin (now)
      Nater (next time I see him)

Turbo 3.6 FSI tuning:
      Keep OEM FSI fuel system, other swap over to R32-like port injection.
      Example: UM UK 3.6L Turbo Mk4 4Mo

Fully sorted 3.6 FSi swap:
      Immo defeat
      Vin cloning (i.e. so your swap car ecu vin matches the car)
      Proper error deletes for missing components
      Proper tuning changes for manual transmission vs tiptronic
      Examples:
      Mk3 3.6L FSI Swap at Waterfest 17
      Jesse's Mk5 R36

Standard tune: $450
      Swap tuning: $699
      Turbo tuning: Starting $999

Just ask if you have any more questions.

-Jeffrey Atwood
      Thanks for the info! How much time is involved with the standard N/A tune? Would the dealer need the car for a while? I ask because it sounds more customized than both the Revo and Uni tunes.

Thanks again!

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 01:10 PM #29
      Thanks for the info! How much time is involved with the standard N/A tune? Would the dealer need the car for a while? I ask because it sounds more customized than both the Revo and Uni tunes.

Thanks again!
      they may need it for quite some time

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 04:54 PM #30
      they may need it for quite some time
      Not necessarily true. Different car, I know...but Jeff tuned my turbo vr6 from scratch back in '04 in a weekend. 6 hours on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Me driving...him tuning.
      Those were the good old days.

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 05:00 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by nater View Post
      Not necessarily true. Different car, I know...but Jeff tuned my turbo vr6 from scratch back in '04 in a weekend. 6 hours on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Me driving...him tuning.
      Those were the good old days.
      Sorry Nater I was being saracastic/poking at Jeff. Flashing my car took over 4 hours because of some data loss/rebuilding the file issues. I probably should have made it clear I was just joking

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 05:35 PM #32
      Estimated power gains? Anybody?
      2006 Passat V6 4Motion

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 05:51 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
      Estimated power gains? Anybody?
      [with pinky by corner of mouth] 1 MILLION HP!!!

34. 08-31-2012 10:28 PM #34
      I've had revo on my v6 4Mo for about two years now. I strongly suggest you get it too. While I have no idea whether there are any power gains, the throttle response its far superior with the chip.

Vehicles
      2006 Passat VR6 4Motion
      09-03-2012 02:04 AM #35
      I'm tempted to get a tune, but honestly, I can't get the thought of a supercharger out of my head.

My 3.6 with 4mo on a little boost would be nice, though I'm not sure how the automatic would handle the power in a DD role. I'm willing to try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast