Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1990 Audi 80 - Missing Drive Flange

1. 08-06-2012 11:34 PM #1
      Bought a used engine & transmission from a 1990 Audi 80 (manual transmission, no ABS) to use in a project car. Coming up to the end of the project, only major job left is to fit the new drive shafts to the transmission... when I finally realize there's nothing to bolt them TO.

After doing much research and teeth gnashing, I think the problem is that I didn't get the "drive flanges" that connect the drive shafts to the transmission. The sides of the tranny have the holes where a shaft goes into them, and I can see deep inside where the toothed gear (that I don't have) slots in, but the drive shafts I bought don't have the rod/shaft that goes in that hole; it just ends in a short cylinder with bolt holes around it. Did some Googling, and if I'm not mistaken the part I need is Audi part #012409355B... which I can't find listed for less than $350 apiece.

This is the first time I've ever worked on this kind of tranny so I could be mistaken. Does my self-diagnosis (and part numbers) sound correct, and if so, does anyone have a suggestion where I should go looking to get the flanges? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

If it makes a difference, here's pictures and serial numbers off of the transmission & the new drive shafts:

Transmission:
      Picture of transmission in question
      AKL 19107
      012301103C

Drive Shafts:
      NAPA - NMD 952176 (Right)& NMD 952174 (Left)

What I THINK is the part I need:
      Flange Shaft for Audi (012409355B)

2. Member
      08-11-2012 03:24 PM #2
      I have a Quattro Trans from a 1989 100, 5Cyl With flanges.
      I have a Quattro trans from a 1988 5000TQCS, With flanges.

Are these, Your looking for, for 100mm inside C/V joints or 108MM?

could picture them up. if you PM. or?

J.B. in ID.

3. 08-11-2012 08:50 PM #3
      Thanks for responding. Just today, I found a 1988 Audi 90 in a junkyard with the same transmission (same code) and succeeded in pulling the drive shafts with the flanges out of. I do appreciate the offer.