Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: I just watched the Bolivia Special (again) - Tell me about Toyota Land Cruisers

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      08-07-2012 02:06 AM #1
      Loved Richard's FJ40, and although I have Google and the goodness of Wikipedia, I'd like to know if anyone has personal experience with them, and what kind of cluster**** I'd be getting into if I decided to pick one up wheneverthehell the TT is finally sorted. I suppose I could get a Wrangler, and I know newer trucks out there are better, but an old 4x4 is almost certainly going to be a toy as compared to my rebodied mk4, so I'm not worried about daily driver anything. No way am I interested in the latest ones either, far too tubby and expensive, and I also don't need to see portaFJ. Thanks for any input, let me know if there is anything basically comparable that I should also waste time looking up on teh internetz...

Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      08-07-2012 04:14 PM #2
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      08-07-2012 04:20 PM #3
      Figure you will pay 5-8 grand for a decently sorted FJ40 and that will still need plenty of tinkering.

• Solid trucks, different years have different foibles
      • Rust is a problem for all of them, particularly the body mounts and rear sill.
      • Many have had Chevy V8's dropped in them which can be nice if you are running extra big tires... but really isn't necessary. The old 2F Inline-6 is basically a tractor engine, gobs of low end torque.

You will really be better served by going to IH8MUD and reading through their forums and FAQs.
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Furthermore Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this purveyor of bleep-bloop music was in fact staging a farce.
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      '08 LR3 HSE, '04 A4 3.0Q, '94 Golf Rally Car
      08-07-2012 04:35 PM #4
      Didn't you learn anything by that episode? The Land Cruiser is the least reliable car in the world and the Range Rover classic is the most
      '08 LR3 HSE: The Daily/Off-Roader
      '04 A4 3.0Q: The Wife's Ride
      '94 Golf Rally Car: A long long Project

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      08-07-2012 04:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Figure you will pay 5-8 grand for a decently sorted FJ40 and that will still need plenty of tinkering.

You will really be better served by going to IH8MUD and reading through their forums and FAQs.

Definitely go to Mud and read up. 5 to 8 grand will get you one that runs but itll probably be a rusty mess. Id love to get a 43 instead of a 40.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      08-07-2012 05:08 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Definitely go to Mud and read up. 5 to 8 grand will get you one that runs but itll probably be a rusty mess. Id love to get a 43 instead of a 40.
      it will be one you can drive and enjoy while you fix it, but yes, will need some rust repair and a bunch of TLC. The value of these trucks hasn't gone down in a decade, and nice ones have appreciated.

Of course you can always drop $15-20 grand on a nice restored one (well sorted, repainted, backyard frame-off). Or $100k on an insanely nice restored one (Cruiser Solutions, Profitt's, TLC4x4, Cool Cruisers of Texas, etc).

When I sold my FZJ80 I swore I wouldn't buy another Cruiser (I've had 3, plus 3, 4Runners) until I could afford a decent, driveable FJ40. I'm still sticking with that goal.
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Furthermore Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this purveyor of bleep-bloop music was in fact staging a farce.
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      1996 FZJ80
      08-07-2012 05:19 PM #7
      Ill tell you that i mine to no end

104,xxx miles owned it for 2 years this September, every single thing works and it looks nearly new inside and out.

Stock besides
      - front corner lights and turn signals
      - rear brake lights turn signals
      - 305 70 R16 tires
      - Scion head unit
      - upgraded speakers

Ill have this thing for ever!
      Car lounge Rule #1 : "If you don't agree with me then you are clearly wrong."