VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Cars and/or brands that have been ruined for you because of people

25K views 156 replies 95 participants last post by  FissionMailed 
#1 ·
Whether you like to admit it or not, it happens to even the most open minded of us. What cars and/or brands do you just not like anymore or just don't want to hear anything about or just lose interest in as soon as they are brought up?

For me, and I'm sure many others will post the same thing it's VW and Audi. Why? This site. Over the years there has just been too many vw/audi fanboys that have squeezed out any excitement/interest I once had for these 2 really awesome companies. Now - that's not to say I hate VW and Audi, but I just can't get excited over them anymore. Please don't bring up the classic "but you're on a VDUBYA FORUM LOL IT SEZ VWWWWWWWW-VORTEX IDIOT LOLOL"...it's been explained time and time again.

The interest however is slowly...very slowly creeping back up but almost to the point of being negligable...it's a start though right? :laugh:

Anyway, what about you?

See less See more
#97 ·
i still love my A3 but i can't stand the forums that exist for it.

90% of the threads are "how doez i black out teh grillz", "painted my wheelz yo", "do i need BOV?" etc, so i stay away.

audizine.com is super childish now, the A3 forum on vortex is too slow, and the rest plain suck. hardly any tech knowledge, and hardly any people with intelligence left around the A3 nowadays.

i like my car, just not the retards that surround it. whatever.

however, i LOVE the BMW 2002 scene completely. bmw2002faq.com has lots of great people, tons of support, and many helpful tips. the community there is great. lots of knowledge, tech support, cheap part selling/swaps, etc. you really couldn't ask for more.

#99 ·
i still love my A3 but i can't stand the forums that exist for it.

90% of the threads are "how doez i black out teh grillz", "painted my wheelz yo", "do i need BOV?" etc, so i stay away.

audizine.com is super childish now, the A3 forum on vortex is too slow, and the rest plain suck. hardly any tech knowledge, and hardly any people with intelligence left around the A3 nowadays.[/IMG]
I wonder if this is where all the Honda people went.

#104 ·
Easily the Chrysler 300 for me.

Every brand has it's douche-bag following, and every type of car could potentially be owned by a douche.. Or a decent level-headed auto enthusiast.

But the only car to date that has unanimously been accompanied by douche-bags in my experience... Has been the Chrysler 300.

The other easy targets, are some of the extremists of every brand/type... But there are always the exceptions of cool guys that run the same cars.. Sort of keeping the balance..

But I have yet to ever cross path's with a non douchey 300 owner. :thumbdown:

#105 ·
I don't know so much that it's the people (as much I'd like to blame it on a lot of the young crowd) but cars in general are just boring to me now. I'm 36 and am wondering how I got so bored and am not nearly impressed by a BMW "M" series anymore. Or an Audi "S" series. They're too common now. You can buy an ordinary 3 series and get the "M package" to be faux. Boring.

The proliferation of attractive leases for premium vehicles like the A4, 3 series, G37, etc just turned them into ordinary cars. Just about anybody with a decent credit score can go lease a new one of said vehicles or you can buy an off lease for not a bad price and think your king of the hill in your base model BMW.

Thinking of buying a used or "classic" like a 1988 Jettta Carat or 1991 Honda Prelude Si 4WS? Don't bother because unless you are willing to ship them in from out of state, they are all: a) rotted with Northeast rust b) chopped up and glued back together by some dopey shade tree mechanic 17year old who blew his birthday money on ridiculous parts or c) most of those cars are living life as a Kenmore stainless steel fridge.

What do I miss? A mint condition 1991 Audi 200 20v quattro, manual, with color keyed wheels, Hella rounds mounted between the headlights, a set of cheap skis in the cheap ski rack and a driving blizzard.

#107 · (Edited)
Eh, I don't see why one should let others have such an effect on oneself where it changes your opinion on things.

Even if TCL were full of TornadoGT1's, it shouldn't affect how one feels about Audi/VW and most fanboys are anywhere close as bad as TornadoGT1.

I have a long relationship w/ BMWs, but still, it has been BMW drivers who have cut me off a no. of times (while driving rentals).

That's not what's been souring me on BMWs; it's the design language w/ those goofy/droopy front ends.

#110 ·
FV-QR

It's not that I wouldn't buy an Audi or VW...because they make some really desirable products..it's just that I don't really care about them anymore. Just like the song analogy I used earlier. When a song you really like comes on, and it gets played repeatedly over a long period of time, you become less interested in it.

For example, there's the whole guido douchebag attachment do the G35 coupe...I really like that car and it's not like I wouldn't drive it because of the stereotype. It's not nearly as prevalent as the amount of douchebaggery i've seen on these boards surrounding Audi and VW products. Because of that - I've simply just lost a majority of my interest for them.

#116 ·
Mustangs are definitely awesome, but I would NEVER own one. And, as a side note, how is it every single Mustang out there has exhaust that sounds exactly the same? A quiet Mustang would impress me more than the $600 cat-backs do, no one is impressed, you sound the same as every other pony owner :rolleyes:

#123 ·
Because I own it, and if there was a motor it it, you can bet that I would be driving it.

So you are telling me that a professional truck driver isn't a truck driver while he's on vacation? That would mean that I'm not an accountant if I'm not at work.
im just playing with words, relax.

#126 ·
If I let negative stereotypes determine what kinds of cars I woud or woudl not drive, then ther woudl be no cars left to choose from. As a car enthusiast, i cna't abide by that, so i choose to ignore any negative stereotypes and buy what I like THose that let others determine what kuind of car they like will miss out on a number of pretty cool cars that are fun to drive. I loved my BMW. I didn' tdrive it liek a dick so it doen' tmatter hwat OTHER BMW drivers are stereotyped as. I Love my Mustang even if there are a lot of other Mustangs. I liek the sound of the axleback exhaust, and I couldn't care less if there are a thousand others that soud the same. They all sound good and way better than any street Camry. I loved my VWs and would own another. I liked driving my stepson's STi. I've had Hondas and a first gen CRX Si would be high on the list of cars to find for a fun commuter if I didn't already have the MINI.

The only thing keeping me from driving all the cars I like are finances. Not stereotypes.

But hey, so many people here are proud of being closed minded in true TCL fashion.

#128 ·
If I let negative stereotypes determine what kinds of cars I woud or woudl not drive, then ther woudl be no cars left to choose from. As a car enthusiast, i cna't abide by that, so i choose to ignore any negative stereotypes and buy what I like THose that let others determine what kuind of car they like will miss out on a number of pretty cool cars that are fun to drive. I loved my BMW. I didn' tdrive it liek a dick so it doen' tmatter hwat OTHER BMW drivers are stereotyped as.
:what: Are you drunk?

#138 ·
Well like others have said, i'm not going to let a 'scene' void my perception of a car itself. But having said that and although my ownership phase of VWs is over, perhaps for good, i have a word to say about them. Of course many VWs have distasteful owners and modifications and whatnot. However, if anything was to sway my decision to own another vw, it's the parts/aftermarket market(run by people of course which makes this thread-relevant). I'm much more familiar with the aircooled side of things, but there's just so much non-caring in this regard. So much junk and defection in the parts industry. And the people who sell good parts tend to have lousy business practice(poor customer service, sending wrong stuff, atrocious wait times). This is for both the stock and modified markets IME. It's as if people figure cheap cars don't deserve quality parts or service.

But having said that, i do feel that ACVWs do have a slightly better and friendlier owner base but certainly not a great one overall. In terms of the modified 'scene', it's a different one from watercooleds for sure. The wcvw douche tends to be typical ubereuro fanboy fare, while the acvw douche is usually more like the pigheaded american v8 owner steeotype. Obviously not all owners are like this. But when i was a part of the acvw 'scene', i pretty much only got along with the engine builder and a local or two.

But times change and i'm now totally smitten by the jag bug. I haven't had much experience with other owners yet, but my perception thus far is pretty pleasent. If i see another older english car driving when i'm jagging about and throw a wave, i'll generally get one in return. But if i venture deeper into the english car scene, i'm not quite sure i'll fit in. I'm 28 for one thing, and the owners tend to be around double that! That's not a bad thing of course, but there's likely to be some sort of schism on some level. And there is a stereotype of snobbery in this vein, although i haven't come across any yet.

As for other cars:

Well, i'm not big on modern toyotas at all. But if i was, well..... Why the blazes are prius and camry owners almost always TERRIBLE lackadaisical drivers? It's a bloody enigma. In my experience, none of these cars' contemporaries have nearly as many dopey owners who treat the accelerator pedal and steering wheel as if the gods would kill a kitten if they were pressed or turned too hard.

And modern BMWs and the a**hole, overly aggressive driver, take two spaces to park and not care stereotype: often true from what i've seen. Same for lifted modern trucks from the big three.

#142 ·
I'm sure it's been said before, but

These guys ruined the nicest generation of Civics. I don't think I'll even get one. And it's too bad because I really do think Civics are all around great cars. I just won't get one now. That's fine though; I've got Volkswagen, as long as these guys don't ruin it.

#143 ·
I think that all brands have a "scene" that may or may not fit in with your personal style but you still like the cars but do not go to shows or GTG's or anything. For the most part I have made a lot of friends through the local/midwest VW clubs and I like those people but there are still a lot of douchers for sure. But so far most VW/Audi people that are mature are good people and usually into anything that is cool and unique.

So I guess I will say that I would never own vintage muscle because I enjoy them and so many other types of cars. The problem with almost any vintage muscle guy (old or young) that I have met is that they consider anything that isnt Murican and has a V8 driving in a straight line then its crap. Instead of listening to valid reasons why yours is a good/cool/fun vehicle they simply dismiss it and dismiss you; which is sad. I work with a lot of guys like this who completely disregard my opinion on cars because I drive an R and not some rumbling muscle. And eventhough I grew up working on American muscle cars and know quite a bit about them I am usually not allowed to have an opinion on thier conversations. All of my dads muscle car buddies are the same way. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

#146 ·
sounds likes this douche bag i work with from minnesota

my gti is faster than anything he owns and he still tries to mock everything... keep in mind he owns a stock v8 expedition and a old automatic porsche boxster im pretty sure he inherited from his mother or aunt..:laugh:

#147 ·
When I was younger, it used to bother me that the old school domestic muscle car crowd were so close minded and dismissive of anything that wasn't old school American iron.

Now I realize I was wasting my energy on these stupid, ignorant people.

That's not to say I dislike old muscle cars, mind you. I just loathe a certain mentality.

#150 ·
I'm mainly pissed and VW and Audi because they nerf the US market. They make cars here cheaper and cheaper to sell better and don't bring over the packages and options that are available everywhere else. They don't let you make a true custom order. They don't offer the models here that I want, namely the a6 avant tdi.

It's a very simple fix. Sell cheap **** to the morons who buy off the lots and let the enthusiasts and loyal customers order whatever they want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.