Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mk4 1.8t bad synchros?

Vehicles
      2013 STi hatch
      08-07-2012 01:44 PM #1
      At 4k from 1st to 2nd my car will grind into gear. I'm thinking bad synchros but I'm not sure. The car has 54k on it. Reverse sometimes grinds as well but it's been that way since I bought the car
      Quote Originally Posted by D.R.E.A.D. View Post
      Ok so I saw this turbo on ebay that says it produces 700HP

Vehicles
      #0047 JB Gti
      09-07-2012 09:10 PM #2
      bump
      _TheSteveGangBang11.21_ / RIP alrighty, im bored 2011_111/

instagram: @the_real_just4play_

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Euro View Post
      Instructions unclear; ended up locking myself in my trunk. Send help.

3. 09-27-2012 05:24 AM #3
      May want to try changing the transmission oil.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW GTI 1.8T
      09-27-2012 04:31 PM #4
      If you're still on your original gearbox oil, 54k is EXACTLY where mine became pretty unbearable. Also keep in mind that as your car ages, no matter how well maintained it is, you're going to have to be a little more patient with your shifting (the 02J in particular doesn't like to be rushed IMO)

If you've got fresh gear oil and it doesn't seem to be a temperature or overfill/underfill phenomenon or something you can smooth out with a smoother/gentler shifting technique, then you can start looking at synchros. If you do a gearbox oil change and you're suspicious that parts inside your gearbox are wearing or grenading, a Blackstone Labs oil analysis could give you some hints that something bad is happening without you having to pull your gearbox or open it up.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Best of luck!

Vehicles
      2013 STi hatch
      09-27-2012 04:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by clarkma5 View Post
      If you're still on your original gearbox oil, 54k is EXACTLY where mine became pretty unbearable. Also keep in mind that as your car ages, no matter how well maintained it is, you're going to have to be a little more patient with your shifting (the 02J in particular doesn't like to be rushed IMO)

If you've got fresh gear oil and it doesn't seem to be a temperature or overfill/underfill phenomenon or something you can smooth out with a smoother/gentler shifting technique, then you can start looking at synchros. If you do a gearbox oil change and you're suspicious that parts inside your gearbox are wearing or grenading, a Blackstone Labs oil analysis could give you some hints that something bad is happening without you having to pull your gearbox or open it up.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Best of luck!
      thank you sir! but i already fixed the problem, my dogbone mount is very worn out and i discovered that was the cause of my ailments
      Quote Originally Posted by D.R.E.A.D. View Post
      Ok so I saw this turbo on ebay that says it produces 700HP

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW GTI 1.8T
      09-28-2012 01:51 PM #6
      Ah ha excellent point, yes bad mounts or a failed clip at the end of your shift cable will also screw things up. The more you can button down your drivetrain the better it feels (love how much sharper my shifting is with the 034 Motorsport street line density engine mounts and the ECS tuning dogbone) so it makes perfect sense that a blown or damaged pendulum or engine mount would make it significantly worse! Cheers!