VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Official 2013 VW Beetle - All ok with my windows thread

14K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  sn0wyt 
#1 ·
Official 2013 VW Beetle - All ok with my windows thread

If you have a 13, let us know how you are doing.

#7 ·
Hi

I called 3 different dealers today with 13's and they say the window mechanics are different.

MMmmmm seeing is believing. But makes sense, No auto manufacture wants to carry over major problems to another model year, esp. the window issue.

One said the fix hit the assembly line first, then will trickle to the ones already out there.

#8 ·
One said the fix hit the assembly line first, then will trickle to the ones already out there.
^^^^THIS makes a lot of sense. If they have a fix, they'd get it to the factory first to keep 'bad' cars from reaching dealerships, while getting the fix to dealers ASAP after that.

#14 ·
PS

getting a 13 seems faster than what the salesperson said. I really think they are working to push all Beetles in front of the public. The more u see, no matter what year, the more interest there will be in the car.

But I do like that I don't see many, like the stupid Ford Focus. Just do the count car game on the new Focus, and you will see, you cant keep up. On every corner, at every light.

#17 · (Edited)
2013 Turbo Window problem

Well I've had the car for a week as of yesterday and today the damn drivers window started acting like the 2012's with issues. We kept from buying a 2012 because it had the issue after testing driving in hopes the issue was fixed in the 13's. Guess I got a weeks worth perfect window action.

MFD date is 7/12

#18 · (Edited)
Well I've had the car for a week as of yesterday and today the damn drivers window started acting like the 2012's with issues. We kept from buying a 2012 because it had the issue after testing driving in hopes the issue was fixed in the 13's. Guess I got a weeks worth perfect window action.

MFD date is 7/12
If it's not the dreaded 'upzy-downzy' that causes the driver's window to reverse direction from 1/2
way up after a simple 'touch' of the switch, then perhaps your window has an isue with a part other
than the motor (ex: guide gears). If it is the 'upzy-downzy' then perhaps your motor's software is
defective. Even with the new software motors it has to be realized that not every one is coming
out of Germany in perfect condition and your's might very well be a new software motor that just
was defective. There is no way every motor in the 2013 Beetles can be guaranteed to be in
perfect condition but the vast majority (99.9%) should be.

P.S. - My German motor continues to function perfectly through three weeks of use.

#20 ·
It's the upzy Downzy issue like I've heard regarding the 12's. I still love the car. One touch goes 1/2 way then down then about 3/4 then down. The 3 try the one touch seems to be deactivated so I have to hold the up switch to close the window. if the window didn't close this would be a problem for now it's an inconvenience.

#22 · (Edited)
A little more than three weeks back, VW Parts Central informed me that there were none,
zilch, driver's side window motors available anywhere with back ordered ones totaling in
the hundreds. Passenger side ones were readily available, undoubtedly due to the fact
that the driver's side is the huge problem. I am curious to know if someone visited a VW
dealer's parts dept and asked about the availabilty of # 5C5-959-801-D-Z01 (driver's side
motor), would the response come back that there are still none in stock......or if some
have actually filtered through? Keep in mind that if the part number is showing in VW Parts
Central Inventory, then it will have to be the new motor since the part number has not changed.
I know this for a fact since when my 'new software' motor arrived from Germany it was the
same number mentioned previously.

#23 ·
We have had our 2013 beetle for one week now and have noticed no problem with the windows. I even played around with it for about five minutes going up and down and had no problems with the window going all the way up on auto up.

#24 ·
The 13's have the new software motors so you shouldn't have the problems that the 12's
have. Again, this isn't to say that every '13' motor is perfect. Nothing, with regard to mechanical
parts......or any other parts for that matter will have 100% perfection. VW has corrected the
software problem and has to have stock for the 12's available soon.

#38 ·
build date, etc.

Our build date is 7/12 on the door post. In the engine compartment a sticker on the passenger side strut tower shows 7/7/12. Our 2013 red, sunroof, 2.5L, manual transmission with beige interior arrived in Erie, PA on August 24th. We ordered it Oct. 16th, 2011. We picked it up on Sept. 6th as we were traveling out of the country. Windows work perfectly. The car is flawless as far as we can tell. It feels very quiet and tight and much more lively that the 2.5L automatic that we test drove last year. Huge improvement over our 2001 2.0L GLS as well. 55 horsepower more really makes it scoot!

#41 · (Edited)
We just got our 2013 on Thursday, 1 Nov, so it is a relatively new build. They told us that the car was delayed at the port to have the windows done. I know this was a policy, but i don't know if it was actually the reason for the car arriving later than what the dealership told me or they were using that as a reason for the extra time required to get the vehicle. in any case, it wasn't a problem for me.

I did ask the service manager to check the Vin for any work, updates required or that had been done. He said there was nothing done nor outstanding to be done. He said he wasn't sure if the windows had been done, but the record showed no window work required or completed.

Could have been done at the factory before shipping or maybe we will experience problems in the future. I guess the movement of the window, pretty complex, always opening a little and closing a little with door movement. Neat, but complex.:)

#42 ·
2013 Beetle Convertible window problems

I've had my new convertible for about a week and it's been in for repairs already. They did not fixed the problem, but after reading about the window problem, it is probably associated with that problem. Putting the top up or down, often causes one of the windows to go back down and the message "Continue the covertible top operation" or "Error - convertible top service required". Picked the car up from service yesterday and same errors occur. While driving today with the top down, alarm and message "Speed is too fast" appears at 30 MPH.

This appears to be a continuation of the window problem. I hope they can fix it.

#43 ·
I've had my new convertible for about a week and it's been in for repairs already. They did not fixed the problem, but after reading about the window problem, it is probably associated with that problem. Putting the top up or down, often causes one of the windows to go back down and the message "Continue the covertible top operation" or "Error - convertible top service required". Picked the car up from service yesterday and same errors occur. While driving today with the top down, alarm and message "Speed is too fast" appears at 30 MPH.

This appears to be a continuation of the window problem. I hope they can fix it.
hold you ground with the dealer, that is crap..what a bummer..

#45 · (Edited)
My 2012 has been in every month for windows. It's in right now. Also, the paint peeling problem. As well as other little bug-a-boos.

My window issues are different. Popping, clicking, rubbing, clunking noises. They work, but not without a lot of noise. I have the newest window parts in mine, and they still aren't quite right. I would recommend that everyone thinking of buying one, hold off until you hear that the window hardware has been redesigned. I'm hoping for that, so that I can get the new design installed, instead of just new crap parts put in every month.

The paint problem on the bumpers is from the fact that there is no clearance between the bumper cover, and the fenders/tail lights, and the rubbing causes the paint to peel. Bad design. I had mine painted, but it had to go back, because the body shop can't put the bumper cover back on without rubbing the new paint off, due to the clearance issue.

VofA has been no help. What do they really do for anyone? All they do is call me to tell me what the service adviser said. Of course he's already called me by the time they do. Or he tells the service adviser what I said, which I have already done. Or he doesn't really have any info, and I end up informing him. But he has never actually done anything. Nothing different is getting done, that wouldn't be done by just dealing with the dealership. I get more useless phone calls. That's it.

The VofA adviser is just there for the same reason politicians are there. To give us the illusion that we are being listened to. In actuality, nothing I say gets relayed to anyone at VW corporate, and nothing changes because of any interactions I have with VofA. They just pay people to listen to you bitch, and call the dealership to repeat what you told them when you brought the car in. Very useful.

VW has never admitted a mistake. The fix them in their newer models, but do nothing for the current owners, except occasionally extending a warranty. See cam follower FSI issue.

But what do you do? Buy another kind of car? You can, but the issue is industry wide. Every manufacturer is playing the shell game. Hiding their mistakes, and hoping you won't notice while they fix them for the next guy, but not for you.

The problem is technology. There's too much of it in our cars. The VW window issue is because of all the stupid sensors. Take out the sensors. It needs to go up, and then down. If you want a safety feature, then make them non-automatic. Even the dumbest kid wouldn't strangle themselves by holding the button down while their head is stuck. And if they do, well, it was probably just a matter of time anyway.

I will pay $1000.00 U.S. to anyone who can figure out how to install an old fashioned crank system in my new bug. Maybe something older next time. A '68 Camaro maybe.

#47 ·
Window probs

Hi all. Posted most of the in the other window thread. 2013 turbo convertible purchased in May 2013. Had all kinds of window up/down issues about 3 weeks in. Got it repaired (3 hours at dealer). Went about 4 weeks ok and then started having probs again. Waited it out and went about 6 weeks with no issues. Has recently started up again. Doesn't happen all the time, about a 50/50 chance...

#48 ·
Hi all. Posted most of the in the other window thread. 2013 turbo convertible purchased in May 2013. Had all kinds of window up/down issues about 3 weeks in. Got it repaired (3 hours at dealer). Went about 4 weeks ok and then started having probs again. Waited it out and went about 6 weeks with no issues. Has recently started up again. Doesn't happen all the time, about a 50/50 chance...
there are some parts that if instaledl to loose or to tight, can fail. They should use the torque specs for repair. I was told this be someonw who really knows. Most dealer are lazy and do not know what torque specs mean..

like the guides, if to tight, the pinch sensor kicks in. Most re-do are just to check specs and loosen the guides. temperature and humidity have a lot to do with it do. It has to be right one

just some help.

#50 ·
I bought my 2013 in August. No problems until the **** ton of snow we got. Windows started freezing. Windows wouldnt drop down when i would unlock them and then they wouldnt close after i shut the down. This caused a layer of ice inside my car on the windshield. Bought it to vw multiple times. They said nothing was wrong. Finally they replaced the window regulator. They told me theres a certain way to open the car door. If you open it with one pull, it resets the windows. So you have to do two quick pulls. I was pissed cause no one told me that when i bought it. :mad::mad: such a headache.

#51 ·
Never heard that method, 2 pulls, strange.

I think your problem was that the windows were really frozen to the rubber and the motor had a hard time dropping down.

Closing, only if ice still frozen around tracks and it left a gap, where are you in Canada, Alaska, Michican?

My car doesn't stay out in the weather, my wife's does and each time it was frozen i generally waited til the sun was up beating on the car, melting the ice and
then carefully cleaned up the area on rubber tracks etc. (A perk of retirement, let the sun warm things up):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.