Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 034Motorsport is off to the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb!

1. Banner Advertiser Laszlo@034's Avatar
      Vehicles
      B7 Audi A4 2.0T FSI Quattro
      08-07-2012 08:14 PM #1

The rescheduled 2012 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is finally here!

034Motorsport is campaigning their Time Attack Audi A4 in the 2012 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb’s Time Attack class, with friend and veteran pro driver Randy Pobst behind the wheel. The new race date of August 12th, 2012 posed scheduling challenges for both 034Motorsport and former driver Robb Holland.

Luckily, professional driver Randy Pobst was ready and willing to get behind the wheel of 034Motorsport's infamous Time Attack Audi A4. Pobst, a long-time friend of 034Motorsport who had raced to victory with 034Motorsport's Christian Miller in the 2009 Grand-Am Koni Challenge, is enthusiastic to be racing up Pikes Peak in the team's Audi.

"We are very excited to have the honor of working with a motorsport legend like Randy. We've been wanting to join forces for years and finally, out of the crazy events of the past month, we have the chance. We look forward to seeing what his driving, and our car preparation, bring to this incredible event," explained Javad Shadzi.

"I'm thrilled to return to The Pikes Peak Hill Climb with 034 Motorsport and my good friends Javad Shadzi and Christian Miller. Christian and I co-drove to a Grand Am Continental Series S/T championship recently, and I will be driving the Audi he normally runs for 034Motorsport in Time Attack, so I know it's a fast car. Ever since tackling The Peak in 1995, I have been yearning for a way to drive that steep and twisting mountain road at full speed again," said Pobst.

Randy Pobst drives the K-PAX Racing Volvo S60R in World Challenge GT.

This marks the 90th year of the "Race to the Clouds," and the first year the entire run up the mountain is completely paved, giving 034Motorsport the opportunity to run their Time Attack A4 in this legendary race.

“We aren’t a rally company, so with the course being paved it gives our team a new challenge to test our products and our will on such an amazing course,” said Javad Shadzi, President of 034Motorsport.

Preliminary Testing:

034Motorsport headed to Pikes Peak in early June for preliminary testing, and had a very successful weekend getting the car dialed in on the mountain.
      Along with testing, high altitude tuning was done at 6,500 feet in Colorado Springs, to fine tune the ECU's barometric compensation mapping.

“We ran great all day Saturday with our test driver Robb Holland; it was actually his first time on the course and in the car. Robb was getting faster by 5-10 seconds each run he took,” noted Javad Shadzi.

The 034Motorsport Time Attack Audi A4 was fastest car in its class by the end of the testing weekend, running 5 seconds ahead of the other vehicles competing in the Time Attack class.

As this was 034Motorsport's first time on the course, some improvements needed to be made, including a new transmission with 1-2 dog gears built by Advanced Automotion. "We didn't realize how slow some of the corners on this course were. Once we heard Robb was downshifting into 1st for several corners, we knew the synchros wouldn't hold up. Dogs in 1st and 2nd will greatly improve both shift speed and transmission durability,” explained Javad.

Another addition will be a water spray system on the radiator and intercooler to help combat the heat produced by high loads and thin air at increased elevation. Parts for this system are provided by AEM and include atomizing nozzles, a water tank, and a high pressure pump. The system will be controlled with the 034EFI Stage IIc ECU.

Since 034Motorsport is from California, their Time Attack A4 was left at 3ZERO3 Motorsports in Denver, Colorado, where some work and modifications are being performed. "We couldn't have done this without the help of Scott Simpson and his crew at 3ZERO3 Motorsports. Being able to 'headquarter' out of their facility has really given us the resources to tackle a motorsport event like this so far from home," said Javad Shadzi.

About the 034Motorsport Time Attack Audi A4:

The 034Motorsport Time Attack Audi will be tackling the Hill Climb with its heavily modified 2.0L 20-valve 4-cylinder engine, making over 600 horsepower with the help of a Precision 5858 turbocharger and 034Motorsport’s own 034EFI standalone engine management system.
      The car’s aerodynamics, brakes, chassis, suspension, and transmission have been completely overhauled by 034Motorsport with race-engineered components to deal with the rigors of competitive racing. Pirelli competition tires will be used for the event.

About the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb:

Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is a 12.42 mile course with 156 turns that begins at 9,390 feet and finishes at the 14,110 foot summit. As drivers climb toward the summit reflexes are slowed and muscle strength fades from the thinning air. The thin air also robs engines of 30% of their power at the summit. Competitors and vehicles must be in top shape simply to finish...let alone win!

Event Coverage:

More Information:

Sponsors:

1.8T Money Shot:

Please Note:

Javad, Christian, Nate, and Laszlo will be out of the office until Tuesday, August 14th. Customer Service, Sales, and Technical Support will not be affected during this time. Feel free to call us at 510-657-6707 or email us at contact@034motorsport.com if you need any assistance.
      Last edited by Laszlo@034; 08-08-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI; 05 VW Jetta GLI 5857BT
      08-07-2012 10:10 PM #2
      Congrats and good luck!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

3. 08-08-2012 09:26 AM #3
      Good luck at PP 034, Randy is the man!

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      08-08-2012 11:46 AM #4
      Congrats Guys, The Car Is Sick
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      04 hpa r32 flat/wood
      08-09-2012 11:42 PM #5
      Good luck I will be there watching

6. Banner Advertiser Laszlo@034's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-10-2012 09:25 AM #6
      Update 1 - Thursday Test Day

We're having some connection issues on the mountain, so I apologize for the slow updates.

We missed Wednesday's practice due to transmission issues with our tow vehicle, so Randy's first time out in the car was yesterday morning at qualifying. Times can be seen here: http://www.usacracing.com/ppihc/ts/2012

Our time is under Randy Pobst's name.

We got two runs in, and qualified 2nd in our class and 7th overall on the bottom portion of the race. We're very excited with the results, and Randy is having a blast in the car.

We were behind Rhys Millen's factory-backed Hyundai Genesis (3.0L V6 Turbo) sponsored by Red Bull.

We wanted to do some more tire testing with Randy, so we headed to the Autocross Course at Pikes Peak International Raceway. We got some good data there, and decided on which compound of tires to run from our Tire Sponsor, Pirelli.

One of the major challenges we have that we are not used to is warming up the tires on the car. In Time Attack on racetracks, we normally get a warm-up lap before the Time Attack, so that the tires are nice and sticky.

At Pikes Peak, the cars are just sitting waiting to run, and the tires don't warm up until many minutes into the race. Most of the larger teams including Rhys Millen's are using electric tire warming blankets to heat up the tires immediately before they run. Unfortunately this is a luxury that we do not have.

We're testing in the middle section today, which starts at approximately 12,000 feet. Elevation and the thin air continue to be obstacles to us, as well as the relatively tall gearing in the car.

Randy is a world-class driver, and his times should continue to improve on this last day of testing. The rest of the Time Attack class is pretty close behind us, so we need to continue pushing our car and perfecting the setup if we plan to stay competitive in the event.

We'll have a lot more pictures and videos after the event!

See our full Photo Album on the 034Motorsport Facebook Page for more pictures!

7. 08-10-2012 09:49 AM #7
      Randy must have had a blast testing on the autocross course. He started his racing career as an autocrosser (no wonder he has so much car control). What tires/compound are you guys using?

PS: (I could have lent you guys tire warmer blankets, so next time let me know! I hardly use them since they are not legal in SCCA national events).

Vehicles
      05' VW GLI
      08-10-2012 10:41 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      ...PS: (I could have lent you guys tire warmer blankets, so next time let me know! I hardly use them since they are not legal in SCCA national events).
      Greyhound to the nearest town

Edit: Haha, forgot something... nice work so far guys! Watching this one closely
      Last edited by All_Euro; 08-10-2012 at 10:44 AM.
      KO3 @ 30psi...
      Floor Pan Swap

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '02 TTQ (RIP); '06 3.2Q A3
      08-10-2012 02:42 PM #9
      Good ****ing job, guys! And Randy Pobst for a driver - nice. Huge kudos to 034!
      Jeremy Brehm: Regina Wedding Photographer

'02 Audi TT 225 Build Thread - 2.0L - PTE6262 Daily @ 30PSI - 10.0:1CR - AEB @ 9000RPM - Maestro - RIP
      '06 3.2Q A3

10. Banner Advertiser Laszlo@034's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-11-2012 12:23 AM #10
      This is what Pikes Peak looks like if you're the splitter on our car.