Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 193

    Thread: C & D test drives the 3.6 ATS!

    1. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      588
      Vehicles
      Acura TSX
      08-07-2012 08:10 PM #1
      http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review

      "But let’s not quibble. The ATS won us over with its performance. We can’t wait to drive the manual-transmission turbo version, and we’re eager to find out if the smallest, lightest Cadillac in ages can smite the giants in a comparo"

    2. Member dmorrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2000
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      3,362
      Vehicles
      '06 Audi A3, '06 BMW Z4M Coupe
      08-07-2012 10:40 PM #2
      Interesting review, also look forward to the 2.0T and comparison tests.

    3. Member Kandiru's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2004
      Posts
      704
      Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2008 TurboX, 2006 S60R, 2004 R32, All 6MT-AWD!
      08-07-2012 10:46 PM #3
      6MT delete mandatory with AWD as usual with lazy engineering departments of automakers ran by profiteers.

      Sticking with my 4.4s 0-60 AWD 6MT VAG-mobile for now.

    4. 08-07-2012 11:14 PM #4
      Those are pretty good numbers, but the price gets up there quickly when you check a few options. Also it will be interesting to see what Infiniti and Lexus will bring to the market with their new models just around the corner.

    5. Member Zyoid's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2008
      Location
      Hudsonville, MI
      Posts
      4,024
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI, 2010 Mazda 3 S Sport
      08-07-2012 11:14 PM #5
      Saw 3 of those driving in between Detroit and Flint last week. Not a bad looking car.
      -Obama Sucks-

    6. 08-07-2012 11:47 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Kandiru View Post
      6MT delete mandatory with AWD as usual with lazy engineering departments of automakers ran by profiteers.

      Sticking with my 4.4s 0-60 AWD 6MT VAG-mobile for now.
      so wait, VAG isn't a for-profit company?

      and the SAAB you have wasn't built and engineered by the same company you are now saying is lazy?

    7. 08-07-2012 11:51 PM #7
      Weak figures. Overly complex looking. Stopped reading at .88g's. Really?
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

    8. Banned Chris Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      'Murica. F yeah.
      Posts
      11,637
      Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      08-08-2012 12:09 AM #8
      I heard the gauges suck.






      This might be my next car. Looks hot. And I like the ads. Something about Caddys and good ads, remember the Kate Walsh CTS spots?

    9. 08-08-2012 12:26 AM #9
      Funny how there are so many people not willing to give the ATS credit simply b/c it's a GM product.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

      Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      .
      - LeftLaneNews

    10. Member SuperFly_Mofo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2010
      Location
      Palm Beach County, FL
      Posts
      166
      Vehicles
      2005 Pontiac GTO M6
      08-08-2012 12:41 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by emkaytree View Post
      Weak figures. Overly complex looking. Stopped reading at .88g's. Really?
      It's "figures" are nearly identical to this:

      http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review

      If the "gold standard" of this class pulls .89g's, than a .88g performance doesn't seem so unreasonable.

    11. Member deftonesfan867's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2009
      Location
      Henryville, PA
      Posts
      2,535
      Vehicles
      2008 Chevy Cobalt LS
      08-08-2012 12:43 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by emkaytree View Post
      Weak figures. Overly complex looking. Stopped reading at .88g's. Really?
      Numbers aren't everything and even so they said the ATS does have great grip.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      troll troll troll your boat, gently down the stream, merrily merrily merrily, life is about extremes.

    12. Senior Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      US 129
      Posts
      31,683
      Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal. Ferrari.
      08-08-2012 12:45 AM #12
      I would totally get one.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'13 | 0311 | 0331| 0933 | '14- Soldier of Fortune
      Wagon Aficionado | Brodozer Brocionado | BMW Motorrad
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Wagon GTG SoWo '14

    13. Member dmorrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2000
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      3,362
      Vehicles
      '06 Audi A3, '06 BMW Z4M Coupe
      08-08-2012 09:16 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Kandiru View Post
      6MT delete mandatory with AWD as usual with lazy engineering departments of automakers ran by profiteers.

      Sticking with my 4.4s 0-60 AWD 6MT VAG-mobile for now.
      Yes you're right, GM shouldn't worry about profits.

    14. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,375
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      08-08-2012 09:18 AM #14
      I love the way the ATS looks, but am saddened byu the lack of a V6, AWD, Manual combo
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    15. Member
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta
      Posts
      670
      08-08-2012 09:46 AM #15
      How many companies offer a V6 AWD MT combo?

    16. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Jersey City
      Posts
      12,231
      Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      08-08-2012 09:51 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      Those are pretty good numbers, but the price gets up there quickly when you check a few options. Also it will be interesting to see what Infiniti and Lexus will bring to the market with their new models just around the corner.
      Price seems very reasonable if the lease specials are in line with the rest of the segment.

      Looking at just sticker price.
      Comparable S-line A4 with summer tires cost me $51,795 on the Audi website.
      Comparable BMW 328xi... I just stopped when clicking 2/3 the packages brought to to $52,000....

      The ATS is a better value. The S4 is only a comparable value if you are only interested in the starting trim without navigation, Audi suspension, or other options and 6MT.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

    17. Member
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2006
      Location
      Chattaboogie, TN
      Posts
      1,029
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI #yolo
      08-08-2012 09:59 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      Those are pretty good numbers, but the price gets up there quickly when you check a few options.
      Wow, and that certainly isn't the case with any of the ATS' competitors.
      Call To Order Pizza But Too Shy To Answer The Door When It Arrives Crew

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2011
      Location
      The Volt Bar
      Posts
      869
      Vehicles
      2015 Buick Regal GS, 2015 Cadillac Escalade
      08-08-2012 10:33 AM #18
      This thread is awesome.

    19. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,429
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '12 Regal GS 6MT
      08-08-2012 10:35 AM #19
      With or without traction control enabled, the ATS bolts from rest with a growl. The 3.6-liter, DOHC V-6 makes 321 horsepower (21 more than a 335i) and 267 pound-feet of torque (33 less than the BMW’s turbocharged 3.0-liter six). The Hydra-Matic transmission upshifts crisply at the engine’s 7000-rpm redline, pushing the ATS to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 14 flat with a trap speed of 102 mph. Those figures are dead even with the Infiniti G37 Sport’s and within a couple of tenths of the aforementioned 335i’s, though well behind the performance of the torque-and-traction-rich Audi S4.
      The article is trying to make the ATS look better here. Since when are the G37's only getting 14 flat and 102 in the 1/4? It's usually mid 13's and 104-105. 3mph is a decent difference in power. The 335i typically puts up better numbers still than the G37, so no idea why they're making these statements.

      I was really looking forward to the ATS as a potential new car after the G37, but performance wise it looks to leave a bit desired..especially considering the upcoming 2014 G. I think Cadillac fell behind the curve a bit here. I like the styling a lot but since I lean more towards performance, I want my next car to be an upgrade not a downgrade.
      Last edited by jepva; 08-08-2012 at 10:38 AM.

    20. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      588
      Vehicles
      Acura TSX
      08-08-2012 10:41 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      The article is trying to make the ATS look better here. Since when are the G37's only getting 14 flat and 102 in the 1/4? It's usually mid 13's and 104-105. 3mph is a decent difference in power. The 335i typically puts up better numbers still than the G37, so no idea why they're making these statements.

      I was really looking forward to the ATS as a potential new car after the G37, but performance wise it looks to leave a bit desired..especially considering the upcoming 2014 G. I think Cadillac fell behind the curve a bit here. I like the styling a lot but since I lean more towards performance, I want my next car to be an upgrade not a downgrade.
      Ummm they test the car and they post the numbers, whats so hard to understand. The 3.6 ATS is on pair with the 335i and the G37 when it comes to straight line acceleration, it does not fall behind any curve here. Who says you can't get better numbers from the 3.6?

      Here a 6 speed manual G37 is on pair with the 3.6 AUTO. And it actually lost a comparison to a 328i in this particular test. Seems to me like it is the Infiniti that fell behind the curve a bit here.
      http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...powertrain.pdf

      Here is a link to a 6 speed 335i, again minimal difference:
      http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review
      Last edited by MonsterM; 08-08-2012 at 10:46 AM.

    21. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,429
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '12 Regal GS 6MT
      08-08-2012 10:45 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Ummm they test the car and they post the numbers, whats so hard to understand. The 3.6 ATS is on pair with the 335i and the G37 when it comes to straight line acceleration, it does not fall behind any curve here. Who says you can't get better numbers from the 3.6?
      LOL. Because their previous tests of the G37's and 335i's are not at all on par with 14 flats and only 102 in the 1/4. Look up R&T or previous C&D test results of either of those cars..the Caddy is not as quick either way you cut it. 0-60 is fine but the trap speed tells me it won't feel nearly as quick on the highway or passing.

    22. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      588
      Vehicles
      Acura TSX
      08-08-2012 10:47 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      LOL. Because their previous tests of the G37's and 335i's are not at all on par with 14 flats and only 102 in the 1/4. Look up R&T or previous C&D test results of either of those cars..the Caddy is not as quick either way you cut it. 0-60 is fine but the trap speed tells me it won't feel nearly as quick on the highway or passing.
      LOL because they tested the Caddy once and that would be the final result. Its is just as fast in every way. Umm the G37 trap speed was 102 and 335i was 103.

    23. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,429
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '12 Regal GS 6MT
      08-08-2012 10:49 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      LOL because they tested the Caddy once and that would be the final result. Its is just as fast in every way. Umm the G37 trap speed was 102 and 335i was 103.
      Ok buddy. If there was a 6MT I could agree with you - but numbers will not vary much between auto's and C&D is normally the fastest of any publication when it comes to testing.

      Also, the thing that really gets me is because of its lighter weight (shy of 3600lbs) it should really be faster than its numbers would suggest.

      Here's some links for you:
      R&T, G37 trapped 105.6 - http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/...Sport_data.pdf

      Car and Driver test in '09, trapped 104 -
      http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test
      Last edited by jepva; 08-08-2012 at 10:54 AM.

    24. Senior Member Lwize's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2000
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      22,555
      Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      08-08-2012 10:50 AM #24
      The manual is only offered for magazines and forums to fap over.
      In realty, they'll sell 99.3% with the slushbox.
      :gift:

    25. Member Calcvictim's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16th, 2011
      Location
      most likely at work
      Posts
      810
      Vehicles
      2002 Maxima
      08-08-2012 10:51 AM #25
      I am a big fan, looks gorgeous.

    26. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      588
      Vehicles
      Acura TSX
      08-08-2012 10:51 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Ok buddy. If there was a 6MT I could agree with you - but numbers will not vary much between auto's and C&D is normally the fastest of any publication when it comes to testing.

      Also, the thing that really gets me is because of its lighter weight (shy of 3600lbs) it should really be faster than its numbers would suggest.
      Numbers don't lie, it is what it is. I am sorry if they offended you.

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2009
      Location
      Palm Beach County, FL
      Posts
      6,730
      08-08-2012 10:52 AM #27
      One wonders when magazines in the US will start posting the far more pertinent in gear acceleration and passing times.
      Jared
      Originally user 22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    28. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,429
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '12 Regal GS 6MT
      08-08-2012 10:56 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      One wonders when magazines in the US will start posting the far more pertinent in gear acceleration and passing times.
      Its 5-60 is 5.7s, which is pretty good. But its mostly its shorter lower gears in the auto that account for this, I just have a feeling it doesn't feel as fast up top. Cadillac probably tuned the top two gears for economy.

    29. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      588
      Vehicles
      Acura TSX
      08-08-2012 10:58 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Ok buddy. If there was a 6MT I could agree with you - but numbers will not vary much between auto's and C&D is normally the fastest of any publication when it comes to testing.

      Also, the thing that really gets me is because of its lighter weight (shy of 3600lbs) it should really be faster than its numbers would suggest.

      Here's some links for you:
      R&T, G37 trapped 105.6 - http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/...Sport_data.pdf

      Car and Driver test in '09, trapped 104 -
      http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test
      Different magazines. Will wait for a head to head comparison, same day and conditions. Caddy will be just as fast without a doubt.

    30. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      588
      Vehicles
      Acura TSX
      08-08-2012 10:59 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Its 5-60 is 5.7s, which is pretty good. But its mostly its shorter lower gears in the auto that account for this, I just have a feeling it doesn't feel as fast up top. Cadillac probably tuned the top two gears for economy.
      What makes you think it doesn't feel as fast up top?

    31. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Jersey City
      Posts
      12,231
      Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      08-08-2012 10:59 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      LOL. Because their previous tests of the G37's and 335i's are not at all on par with 14 flats and only 102 in the 1/4. Look up R&T or previous C&D test results of either of those cars..the Caddy is not as quick either way you cut it. 0-60 is fine but the trap speed tells me it won't feel nearly as quick on the highway or passing.
      So search out and compare the best test results for a vehicle that has been around for years vs the first test for a new model. Brilliant.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

    32. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      588
      Vehicles
      Acura TSX
      08-08-2012 11:00 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      One wonders when magazines in the US will start posting the far more pertinent in gear acceleration and passing times.
      It is actually faster than the others in those categories.

    33. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2009
      Location
      Palm Beach County, FL
      Posts
      6,730
      08-08-2012 11:00 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Its 5-60 is 5.7s, which is pretty good. But its mostly its shorter lower gears in the auto that account for this, I just have a feeling it doesn't feel as fast up top. Cadillac probably tuned the top two gears for economy.
      I don't drive balls out from 0-60 or 5-60; on MOST public roads that's dangerous. Other publications offer, say, 4th, 5th, and 6th gear acceleration times for 10-40, 20-50, 30-60, 30-70, 40-80; etc...things along those lines.
      Jared
      Originally user 22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

    34. Member locobaz23's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2003
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      1,504
      Vehicles
      11 Camry SE 4 cyl
      08-08-2012 11:01 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      LOL because they tested the Caddy once and that would be the final result. Its is just as fast in every way. Umm the G37 trap speed was 102 and 335i was 103.
      In fairness, the 6 speed manual is significantly slower than the auto in the BMW. So shouldn't we compare the auto 335 to the auto ATS 3.6?

    35. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      588
      Vehicles
      Acura TSX
      08-08-2012 11:03 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by locobaz23 View Post
      In fairness, the 6 speed manual is significantly slower than the auto in the BMW. So shouldn't we compare the auto 335 to the auto ATS 3.6?
      How so? There is less than .2 difference between the two. Please don't post MT times, we will have to wait for a direct comparison. Do you have the official 0-60 times posted by BMW, that would give us an idea of the difference between the auto and manual.

    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •