Thread: Consumer Reports - Five popular cars to avoid

Vehicles
      TT | Excursion | Touareg
      08-07-2012 11:23 PM #26
      Didn't see a VW on that list...must not be popular

Vehicles
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      08-07-2012 11:23 PM #27
      anyone have beef with the prius c comment? I remember when one person here bought it and everyone was orgasming over it
      pardon my 'merican

3. 08-07-2012 11:36 PM #28
      as always, and in regards to cars, if you can overlook certain characteristics, its up to the driver of the car to find the compromise

however, things like reliability can be a bigger factor

i was seriously considering the edge, but might have to look for the sorrento/santa fe/escape now

as for cheaper interior, ehh, i dont have a fetish with the dash, and i could live with a cheapened interior a little

(just don't give me cupholders or glove compartments that break ..... yes, i'm talking about the mk4)

for the civic, if you can overlook its concessions, you get a car much more fuel efficient and reliable

conversely, someone else may want more sportiness and unlreliability instead

4. 08-07-2012 11:49 PM #29
      I hope you guys realize just how much influence Consumer Reports has on the public.

It's a lot more than our community... let alone Motor Trend/etc.

5. 08-08-2012 12:12 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      It sounds just like old GM
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      Yep. It's not exactly a good sign when you have to discount the crap out of a car in order to move them off lots.
      This.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
      Well, once more, CR is full of it. The 2012 Civic is currently the best selling car in the compact/sub-compact. And as one owner, I would buy it again specially with the current rebates. Vague steering and questionable interior details are true, though. Not enough to kill the car.
      So what about all the other less than stellar reviews of the Civic?

Besides all the commentary here on TCL when the Civic launched, the "new" Civic didn't exactly get a warm reception in Honda/Acura forums either.

And if there wasn't an issue, then why would Honda have to put incentives on a newish Civic model and fast-track the refresh?

Honda has no such issues w/ the new CR-V.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Good thing there were no Hyundais or Kias on that list, or Hyundai marketing wouldn't have posted it for us.

Good thing that you still have somethink up your butthole about me and/or Hyundai/Kia, otherwise, your posts (which add zero to the discussion) look even more moronic.

Get over it.
      Last edited by CP1; 08-08-2012 at 12:18 AM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Brooklyn NYC - Current Cars: - '15 VW Touareg TDI Lux '14 VW Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '12 Odyssey EX-L '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT -
      08-08-2012 12:13 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
      Yes I read it and you are misinformed, "For the money", with rebates, there was no better buy than a Civic. Bottom line we got a Civic, a compact, at a Fiesta or Accent price.
      vw fanboi, i present to you. the civic fanboi

i agree the civic is a good value for the price, but is it going on its namesake and record? or if this were a clean slate would it still be held in the same regard as say a Hyundai Elantra? I think not. you can only let your record speak for itself for so long before people have had enough and turn to other car makers.
      Looking for a new or used Volkswagen in NY/NJ/CT? PM me! I offer bottom line pricing! GTI Monster Mats & Gorilla Liner for Sale! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...la-Trunk-Liner

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      08-08-2012 12:13 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      This.

Good thing that you still have somethink up your butthole about me and/or Hyundai/Kia, otherwise, your posts (which add zero to the discussion) look even more moronic.

Get over your obsession and stop acting like a whiny baby.
      Can you use "butthole" when posting from your work account?

8. 08-08-2012 12:19 AM #33
      Can you use "butthole" when posting from your work account?
      Nothing stops the truth (if that were the case).

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      08-08-2012 12:20 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      Nothing stops the "truth."
      Fixed to comply with advertising laws. Do you get paid overtime to post at night? Or reimbursed on a per-post basis?

10. 08-08-2012 12:42 AM #35
      Fixed to comply with advertising laws. Do you get paid overtime to post at night? Or reimbursed on a per-post basis?
      I'm hoping to get a part-time gig w/ Honda, since they are known to actually pay for this kind of stuff.

The new Honda Civic is so boring you'd probably have to pay me to write something positive about it, which is exactly what Honda attempted to do via a third-party European company. Welcome back to the world of pay-for-post blogging where automakers desperately try to generate positive social media buzz — and fail.

Honda appears to be an active client with multiple campaigns running in three different countries based around these same promotional videos.
      http://jalopnik.com/5893022/how-hond...out-their-cars

- LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      08-08-2012 02:03 AM #36
      (Old gen) Honda was a good buy because it was a car better than competition. Nowadays Honda is a good buy because it is cheap.
      Windows Vista (32bit only)/7/8 "God Mode"
      - Create new folder on desktop
      - rename folder to the following:
      GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

12. 08-08-2012 02:18 AM #37
      ^ The current Civic yeah, but not the new CR-V (and the Accord understandably b/c it is on its last legs, but the new Accord seems very promising and will likely be more like the CR-V than the Civic when it comes to sales and price).

- LeftLaneNews

13. 08-08-2012 02:32 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      I hope you guys realize just how much influence Consumer Reports has on the public.

It's a lot more than our community... let alone Motor Trend/etc.
      yep they single handedly made Toyota spend 100s of millions to fix a problem they never really had.

14. Senior Member
      08-08-2012 02:51 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      CR isn't aimed at enthusiasts but it is aimed at people who are willing to do more research than just wandering into a Honda/Toyota dealer and picking one, and for those people, CR is saying - buy a 3, buy an Impreza, buy an Elantra... they deliver on the promises that Honda made a decade ago.
      Or buy a Fit if you want something from the Honda dealer.

15. Member
      08-08-2012 07:12 AM #40
      FR-S cuz no torx.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW GTI, 2007 Jetta
      08-08-2012 09:25 AM #41
      What is so awful about the current civic? I drove the previous generation as a rental, MY 2010 I think, and I thought it was a fine little car. I even got over the unconventional dash quickly. How much worse can the new version be?

Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2015.5 Volvo XC-60
      08-08-2012 09:35 AM #42
      Hmmm....just got a great lease deal on a fully loaded leftover 2012 Edge Limited since the Volvo lease is up in a few weeks. It's definitely more "trucky" than the Volvo, which has a car-like ride, but the Limited with 18" wheels has a much better ride than the Sport with the 22" wheels or even the Limited with the 20" wheel "upgrade". I initially went for the Sport because I liked the looks better but changed to the Limited as we did not want to deal with the ride quality of the Sport model. IMO the Sport ride comfort ranks just above that of a Roman Chariot. Only has it for a week but so far so good. MyTouch/Sync does have a learning curve associated with it but we're making progress. The problem is that it can do so many things that you need some time to decipher. My dealership actually has familiarization classes once a month for new owners.

08-08-2012 09:54 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      Has there ever been a time when the best selling car was actually the best car? The best selling car is usually the car that used to be the best car, but nobody makes a car that is "the best" for long enough to get the title of best selling car while still being "the best."
      Perception often lags behind reality, both on the upswing and the downfall.

08-08-2012 10:10 AM #44
      Funny how they bash the liberty. It's the oldest model of the CUV bunch and may not be brought back with the restructering of the MOPAR group. Why to go Capt. Obvious CR

And what's with no explanation to the Grand Caravan!?!

CR can be such a joke.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      08-08-2012 10:33 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by That1njguy View Post
      Funny how they bash the liberty. It's the oldest model of the CUV bunch and may not be brought back with the restructering of the MOPAR group. Why to go Capt. Obvious CR

CR can be such a joke.
      It's not funny or a joke. CR doesn't give good reviews to trucks that drive like trucks, with poor space efficiency, jarring rides, and poor emergency handling. They don't find them ideal for, well, most consumers. You should read their glowing review of the Wrangler. I'm surprised it wasn't on the list, as I thought it was more popular than the Liberty right now.

Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      08-08-2012 10:41 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by That1njguy View Post

CR can be such a joke.
      If you click the link, you can read the Caravan explanation. I don't know why it's not in the OP.

How many typical consumers are intimately familiar with the internal restructuring of Chrysler? All most people know is that they were "bailed out," if they even know that. The average enlightened consumer may be vaguely aware that Fiat was involved and know that they're from somewhere in Europeland. That's it.

Remember, much of CR's audience knows nothing at all about cars or the industry.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

08-08-2012 10:47 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by shepherdgti View Post
      Didn't see a VW on that list...must not be popular
      Jetta is very popular, and so is the new Passat.

08-08-2012 11:01 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Among the 22-45 year old women ''I want a small SUV crowd'', yes.

Libertys are horrid, horrid vehicles. Always have been.
      Aka my mother. She gets atrocious MPG and she drives it gently.

I agree with that list.

The Liberty needs the Pentastar with a ZF auto, as well as an interior redesign.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      08-08-2012 11:15 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Aka my mother. She gets atrocious MPG and she drives it gently.

I agree with that list.

The Liberty needs the Pentastar with a ZF auto, as well as an interior redesign.
      The Liberty needs either a ground-up redesign or a one-way ticket to donesville.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      08-08-2012 11:22 AM #50
      Consumer Reports is speaking to buyers that don't read Consumer Reports.... What's the point?

Would this story make the 'five articles by popular consumer magazines you should ignore' list?
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast