Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports - Five popular cars to avoid

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      08-08-2012 02:03 AM #36
      (Old gen) Honda was a good buy because it was a car better than competition. Nowadays Honda is a good buy because it is cheap.
      Windows Vista (32bit only)/7/8 "God Mode"
      - Create new folder on desktop
      - rename folder to the following:
      GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

2. 08-08-2012 02:18 AM #37
      ^ The current Civic yeah, but not the new CR-V (and the Accord understandably b/c it is on its last legs, but the new Accord seems very promising and will likely be more like the CR-V than the Civic when it comes to sales and price).
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

3. 08-08-2012 02:32 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      I hope you guys realize just how much influence Consumer Reports has on the public.

It's a lot more than our community... let alone Motor Trend/etc.
      yep they single handedly made Toyota spend 100s of millions to fix a problem they never really had.

4. Senior Member
      08-08-2012 02:51 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      CR isn't aimed at enthusiasts but it is aimed at people who are willing to do more research than just wandering into a Honda/Toyota dealer and picking one, and for those people, CR is saying - buy a 3, buy an Impreza, buy an Elantra... they deliver on the promises that Honda made a decade ago.
      Or buy a Fit if you want something from the Honda dealer.

5. Member
      08-08-2012 07:12 AM #40
      FR-S cuz no torx.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW GTI, 2007 Jetta
      08-08-2012 09:25 AM #41
      What is so awful about the current civic? I drove the previous generation as a rental, MY 2010 I think, and I thought it was a fine little car. I even got over the unconventional dash quickly. How much worse can the new version be?

Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2012 Edge
      08-08-2012 09:35 AM #42
      Hmmm....just got a great lease deal on a fully loaded leftover 2012 Edge Limited since the Volvo lease is up in a few weeks. It's definitely more "trucky" than the Volvo, which has a car-like ride, but the Limited with 18" wheels has a much better ride than the Sport with the 22" wheels or even the Limited with the 20" wheel "upgrade". I initially went for the Sport because I liked the looks better but changed to the Limited as we did not want to deal with the ride quality of the Sport model. IMO the Sport ride comfort ranks just above that of a Roman Chariot. Only has it for a week but so far so good. MyTouch/Sync does have a learning curve associated with it but we're making progress. The problem is that it can do so many things that you need some time to decipher. My dealership actually has familiarization classes once a month for new owners.

08-08-2012 09:54 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      Has there ever been a time when the best selling car was actually the best car? The best selling car is usually the car that used to be the best car, but nobody makes a car that is "the best" for long enough to get the title of best selling car while still being "the best."
      Perception often lags behind reality, both on the upswing and the downfall.

08-08-2012 10:10 AM #44
      Funny how they bash the liberty. It's the oldest model of the CUV bunch and may not be brought back with the restructering of the MOPAR group. Why to go Capt. Obvious CR

And what's with no explanation to the Grand Caravan!?!

CR can be such a joke.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      08-08-2012 10:33 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by That1njguy View Post
      Funny how they bash the liberty. It's the oldest model of the CUV bunch and may not be brought back with the restructering of the MOPAR group. Why to go Capt. Obvious CR

CR can be such a joke.
      It's not funny or a joke. CR doesn't give good reviews to trucks that drive like trucks, with poor space efficiency, jarring rides, and poor emergency handling. They don't find them ideal for, well, most consumers. You should read their glowing review of the Wrangler. I'm surprised it wasn't on the list, as I thought it was more popular than the Liberty right now.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      08-08-2012 10:41 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by That1njguy View Post

CR can be such a joke.
      If you click the link, you can read the Caravan explanation. I don't know why it's not in the OP.

How many typical consumers are intimately familiar with the internal restructuring of Chrysler? All most people know is that they were "bailed out," if they even know that. The average enlightened consumer may be vaguely aware that Fiat was involved and know that they're from somewhere in Europeland. That's it.

Remember, much of CR's audience knows nothing at all about cars or the industry.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

12. 08-08-2012 10:47 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by shepherdgti View Post
      Didn't see a VW on that list...must not be popular
      Jetta is very popular, and so is the new Passat.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      08-08-2012 11:01 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Among the 22-45 year old women ''I want a small SUV crowd'', yes.

Libertys are horrid, horrid vehicles. Always have been.
      Aka my mother. She gets atrocious MPG and she drives it gently.

I agree with that list.

The Liberty needs the Pentastar with a ZF auto, as well as an interior redesign.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      08-08-2012 11:15 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Aka my mother. She gets atrocious MPG and she drives it gently.

I agree with that list.

The Liberty needs the Pentastar with a ZF auto, as well as an interior redesign.
      The Liberty needs either a ground-up redesign or a one-way ticket to donesville.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      08-08-2012 11:22 AM #50
      Consumer Reports is speaking to buyers that don't read Consumer Reports.... What's the point?

Would this story make the 'five articles by popular consumer magazines you should ignore' list?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      08-08-2012 11:35 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by PA_Dub View Post
      What is so awful about the current civic? I drove the previous generation as a rental, MY 2010 I think, and I thought it was a fine little car. I even got over the unconventional dash quickly. How much worse can the new version be?
      Much worse. I thought the previous model and thought it was pretty decent. It was even a Consumer Reports top pick in small cars for a year or two. The new one was designed during carpocalypse and Honda thought people were going to want cheap, which they delivered on. I don't understand how, but the new car doesn't ride or handle as well as the old one. Why they didn't just keep the chassis of the old car is beyond me.

08-08-2012 12:14 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Cubster View Post
      I work at a Ford dealer.....don't understand the Edge at all. Sure the MyTouch is teething....and these things do eat batteries.....but we very rarely have one in for much more than that. I'm guessing they drove one with 20" wheels because the 17" and 18" wheel packages ride pretty good.
      I agree. The Edge is a great vehicle. Road noise is mostly based on the tire, so maybe the factory tires are crap (very typical, my Flex has horrible 18" Michelin factory tires which are very noisy).
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

18. 08-08-2012 12:16 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
      That is idiot because the Focus was like 2000$ more over term (4 years leasing). Stop buying nonsense Tdi, learn how to count and come back to us.

In the meantime, a Civic costs within 50$ of annual fuel cost according to EPA compared to a Tdi and like 4-5000$ less.
      You are the most insecure little man I have ever met. And that's when I can understand the unintelligble dribble you bang out onto a keyboard.

You keep defending the Civic, and your Base Model BMW, and everything else in your insecure little world that you hold dear.

In the meantime, Honda is fasttracking the Civic redesign because the reputation of the Civic is resembling the Hindenburg.
      2012 Toyota Prius 3, Blizzard White/Gray
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon

Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

19. 08-08-2012 12:24 PM #54
      1/2 of one generation isn't enough to kill the percieved quality of hte "Civic" nameplate.

When the Civic went to struts and came out with the minivan Civic, everybody thought it was all over and they were the worst cars ever.

Ten years later and most of those complaints have died off. It's just because the last generation was so good. Even then I remember the "spaceship dash" complaints. People will complain about anything, even other people complaining.

CP1 are you really being paid to post here yes or no?

If yes, you need to leave.

20. 08-08-2012 12:38 PM #55
      Its funny that when list better alternatives, they did no once suggest an american car.

21. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      08-08-2012 12:41 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Eightysixturbo View Post
      anyone have beef with the prius c comment? I remember when one person here bought it and everyone was orgasming over it
      My only beef about it is when I first heard it was going to be smaller than the Prius, I was thinking that would translate into a lot more MPG too. The difference in MPG between the 2 cars though is almost irrelevant.

Vehicles
      2006 Acura TSX 6MT Tech, 2013 Acura RDX Tech
      08-08-2012 12:47 PM #57
      I really don't understand all the flack over the Civic. Sure, bits of the interior are not as nice as the previous generation, and the competition has really stepped up over the past few years - but to call it a car to avoid?

No way.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      08-08-2012 12:51 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by rbloedow View Post
      I really don't understand all the flack over the Civic. Sure, bits of the interior are not as nice as the previous generation, and the competition has really stepped up over the past few years - but to call it a car to avoid?

No way.
      "Perfectly good cars that will give years of reliable service for a low price but aren't very sexy" doesnt generate a lot of clicks.

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI
      08-08-2012 01:03 PM #59
      Well, once more, CR is full of it. The 2012 Civic is currently the best selling car in the compact/sub-compact. And as one owner, I would buy it again specially with the current rebates. Vague steering and questionable interior details are true, though. Not enough to kill the car.
      That was their entire argument. but FWIW, I like the Civic. It's nice for the money.

08-08-2012 02:29 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by shepherdgti View Post
      Didn't see a VW on that list...must not be popular
      I think its popular cars....to avoid. No VW did not make it on list.
      "It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

08-08-2012 02:30 PM #61
      I like how Dodge Grand Caravan needs no explanation. It just is.
      "It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      08-08-2012 03:22 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      You are the most insecure little man I have ever met. And that's when I can understand the unintelligble dribble you bang out onto a keyboard.

You keep defending the Civic, and your Base Model BMW, and everything else in your insecure little world that you hold dear.

In the meantime, Honda is fasttracking the Civic redesign because the reputation of the Civic is resembling the Hindenburg.

Well done, my good sir.
      Teefy Buna

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      01 Neon (sold), 07 Caliber MTX, 07 Quest S
      08-08-2012 03:49 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Among the 22-45 year old women ''I want a small SUV crowd'', yes.

Libertys are horrid, horrid vehicles. Always have been.
      Tell me which other small suv can handle this :

then we'll talk, the Liberty may have bad in road manners, but offroad still hold better than similar priced SUV

Vehicles
      '11 BMW E90d
      08-08-2012 03:51 PM #64
      Well, once more, CR is full of it. The 2012 Civic is currently the best selling car in the compact/sub-compact. And as one owner, I would buy it again specially with the current rebates. Vague steering and questionable interior details are true, though. Not enough to kill the car.
      Man, you are just delusional. Do you just love buying ****ty cars? A base 3 series and a Civic? You're such a winner.

Vehicles
      '11 BMW E90d
      08-08-2012 03:51 PM #65

31. Member
      08-08-2012 03:54 PM #66
      Have Civics ever been used as rentals before this new gen fiasco? I was in Boston in June and Enterprise's lot was full of Civics.

Vehicles
      '11 BMW E90d
      08-08-2012 03:56 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by kimilein View Post
      Have Civics ever been used as rentals before this new gen fiasco? I was in Boston in June and Enterprise's lot was full of Civics.
      Someone has to buy all their lackluster cars

08-08-2012 07:05 PM #68

And like a few of your companions above, you are one f*cking imbecile attacking me personally despite I did *NOTHING* to you. Specially on my birthday.

08-08-2012 07:07 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsJunkie View Post
      That was their entire argument. but FWIW, I like the Civic. It's nice for the money.
      I agree. I wouldn't rank the Civic in my top three choices in compact/sub-compact but it is sheer incompetence from them to say that it is a car to avoid. Best selling car in Canada and best selling compact/sub-compact car in America can't be *that bad*.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M
      08-08-2012 07:10 PM #70
      And like a few of your companions above, you are one f*cking imbecile attacking me personally despite I did *NOTHING* to you. Specially on my birthday.
      lol

We need a cake emoticon
      Teefy Buna

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast