Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '88 Rocco to join the ranks

Vehicles
      1983 Scirocco / 1998 Jeep Cherokee
      09-30-2012 09:53 AM #26
      LOL! dont you love those moments in your scirocco? my interior light stopped working the first year i had it and one night earlier this year i opened the door and it came on! needless to say my friend didnt quite understand why i was so excited. hahaha. same happened with my reverse lights and tach light.

2. 10-01-2012 07:39 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by KRaddatz View Post
      Well I must say Seafoam works wonders! I finally got around to using the rest on the vacuum lines before I changed the fuel filter and after I got dont with my smoke filled drive, lo and behold the horn works!

any ideas on why such a thing would happen?
      Sometimes just moving a wire will trigger a connection. You may have bumped a wire while fiddling and knocked some of the green corrosion off.

or.....deus ex machina.

Vehicles
      '88 VW Scirocco 16v
      10-02-2012 11:16 PM #28
      And now time for another question!

earlier today I saw a picture in a thread with a tube coming from below the c0 tap tube on the bottom of the engine in the rear, what looks like some kind of exhaust. Ill try to take a pic of my own tomorrow, but any ideas?
      Last edited by KRaddatz; 10-15-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Vehicles
      '88 VW Scirocco 16v
      10-15-2012 02:25 PM #29
      Today the charging light came on, last time it happened it turned off when I restarted the car.
      I checked the belt deflection which was approx 5mm.
      I then took a voltage reading off the battery, and it read 11.xx at 3000rpm, then with all electrical components on and @ 3k the reading was the same, so the book says its the regulator.
      I took a short 5 min drive to the bank and on the way back the light magically turns off!
      So I immediately check the battery voltage and its reading 13.5v now.

I would like to replace the old wires with a heavier gauge and run some better grounds, but does anyone have an idea what could be happening? Could it still be the alt?

Vehicles
      '88 VW Scirocco 16v
      11-09-2012 03:14 PM #30
      Got some new much needed parts installed today, im ready for beer and time in the hot tub!

Germanautoparts sent me
      a set of new sway bar bushing brackets, old ones were rusted off.
      oil filter, and a new hd front engine mount.

and from ebay, a delrin shifter bushing.

Everything except the shifter bushing went in relatively painless. That was a total bitch to get to, squeeze in, and re align linkage but in the end I think all is right, I just hope I didn't stab up the rubber too bad trying to pry it in..

Vehicles
      '88 VW Scirocco 16v
      08-05-2013 04:46 PM #31
      Well i'm back and after a full year of ownership much has been replaced on the car, but still much more to be done. Ive recently just hit 71k too! Some of the things off the top of my head are:
      Replaced front and transmission motor mount
      Relayed Headlights
      Replaced Front and Rear wheel bearings
      New Ball joints
      Changed Alternator and Belt
      New shifter linkage and bushings
      Rear hatch shocks
      Hack lock seal
      Inner CV Joints

The biggest things im going to be needing help on is a Clutch change and more-so the Drivers and Passenger Engine mounts, my shifter can get mushy going into first.

Another oddity is the horn will blip on a left turn with turn signal on usually when hitting a bump, I believe this to be some way the relay harness got hooked up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12