Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New to the Fox game

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta VR6 <-- Dead. 2003 Jetta 2.slow <-- Sold. 1988 Jetta GL
      08-08-2012 10:30 AM #1
      So yesterday I acquired a '93 Fox coupe, the Wolfsburg edition. 5spd, with the 1.8. Really good condition, 138,xxx on the clock. Interior is pretty much complete, minus a driver side lap belt missing. It's got some very miniscule rust speckles on the it, here and there. But I've already started sanding and priming it, so it should be ready for paint in no time.

My question lies here: The motor has a pretty nasty valve tap, and I think my headgasket is blown on it because there is wispy white smoke leaking from the exhaust (which is needing replacement). Also, the wipers dont move if they are on the windsheild, but when I lift them they move. And the shifter will not go into reverse at all. Previous owner said he had it checked out and it needed a bushing.

Where are some good places to get parts, what motors are the equivalent of it, and are they easily avaliable? I've seen the brazilian spot and its ridiculous on shipping. But still. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I already have a Haynes manual on its way here, as I'm getting ready to strip the interior and redo that (smells like old man).

I mean I only paid $700 for it, and it's pretty clean. I'll post some pictures up tonight of it.

Thanks in advance!
      2000 Jetta VR6 GLS <-- She's dead. | 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slowasballs | 1993 Fox Wolfsburg Edition Coupe

8v Society #8

Vehicles
      '87 VW Fox wagon turbo, '90 Fox 2-door, 2013 Fiesta
      08-08-2012 01:08 PM #2
      Welcome! Sounds like a pretty good car. My first Fox was a '93. Get yourself a Bentley manual; well worth it. And the reverse issue is probably a bushing; they're not too hard to find and to put in.
      Not red, not blue- red, white, and blue

Vehicles
      08-08-2012 01:33 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by reddfoxx View Post
      Welcome! Sounds like a pretty good car. My first Fox was a '93. Get yourself a Bentley manual; well worth it. And the reverse issue is probably a bushing; they're not too hard to find and to put in.

Bentley is enroute! Where should I begin looking for parts? It's all a little overwhelming at this point. I've come from two mk4's, and I know jack about this car. So I'm slowly reading and digesting as much as I can possibly take LOL.

It needs a new exhaust, but I've read that it'll need all new bolts for it and to take out the donut. Where would I find the hardwhere to remount the new exhaust?
      2000 Jetta VR6 GLS <-- She's dead. | 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slowasballs | 1993 Fox Wolfsburg Edition Coupe

8v Society #8

Vehicles
      2011 Golf 2.5 5MT
      08-08-2012 03:04 PM #4
      Another North Carolina Fox! Welcome to you good sir.

As far as new bolts are concerned- I went to the local hardware store for the new bolts for my donut removal. Let it be known- My car spent it's whole life away from salty roads and I was able to remove the old bolts easily. I could have re-used them, but chose to be thorough and replace them.

$200 would net you a Techtonics exhaust. I used their system on my first mk3 jetta and I can highly recommend them as a great company. If you need new rubber exhaust hangers, I got mine through work, but rockauto, napa, advanced, etc all should be able to get them for you. $10 got me all the rubber rings I needed to do the whole system. A Techtonics setup should include almost everything you need, sans those rubber rings. I also got my donut for $4 from advanced auto parts.

Do the donut while you're under there doing shift bushings. Same location under the car, you're already under there- so why not?

Use some PB Blaster and those bolts should come right out if your car was southern like mine.
      If not, cut them.

Welcome to the Fox forum, and if you're ever in the Charlotte area let me know- Fox meetup!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 VW Fox Turbo, '93 Grand Cherokee V8
      08-08-2012 06:46 PM #5
      Welcome to the forum! That's great that you have a Bentley manual - it will pay for itself over and over.

Most of the issues your Fox came with have also been widely discussed on the forum, and a read through the FAQs and searching previous threads will give you all the info you need. The valve ticking usually goes away after a fresh oil change with 20W50 and a new Mahle filter; I'd give that a try before anything.

As for the motor, pretty much any 8V will bolt in - the ABA and 3A would require some modification but many have done it successfully. If you dig deep enough searching older posts, you'll see info on most swaps imaginable, worth it or not.

Good luck!

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      08-08-2012 07:17 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6DUBcity View Post
      Bentley is enroute! Where should I begin looking for parts? It's all a little overwhelming at this point. I've come from two mk4's, and I know jack about this car. So I'm slowly reading and digesting as much as I can possibly take LOL.

It needs a new exhaust, but I've read that it'll need all new bolts for it and to take out the donut. Where would I find the hardwhere to remount the new exhaust?
      Good idea with the 20-50 to get rid of the tap.

Here is the link to the kit. Yes it will hurt paying that much money for such simple parts. Realize this will be the best thing you give to your 20~ year old fox.

http://www.partsplaceinc.com/product...-211&sku=15295

germanautoparts is good

autohausaz.com - is my favorite and cheaper

Vehicles
      08-08-2012 11:44 PM #7
      I've actually read through here to just leave the donut out, as it restricts a major amount of air.

8v Society #8