Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: APR ECU Tune and Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo /2011 Boxster Spyder
      08-08-2012 04:18 PM #1
      Drove to Opelika, Alabama today to have APR (Audi Performance Racing) tune my ECU and install a carbon fiber cold air intake system and all I can say is WOW! what a difference. Based on APR's dyno numbers stock horsepower of 200 has been increased to 254 with the tuning and to 265 with the addition of the cold air intake system. Some of you may argue with those numbers but all I can say is there is a very noticeable difference in power and some of the turbo lag is been erased. The carbon fiber cold air intake looks awesome. I will take pictures and post when I have a chance. Glad to be posting about something other than window issues.
      2012 Beetle Turbo/Platinum Grey Metallic
      Gloss Black Racing Stripes/Turbo Side Stripe
      Sunroof/Premium Fender Sound System
      Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake Stage II
      APR Stage 1 ECU Tune/Rear Deck APR badging

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-08-2012 04:41 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by cbugrun View Post
      Drove to Opelika, Alabama today to have APR (Audi Performance Racing) tune my ECU and install a carbon fiber cold air intake system and all I can say is WOW! what a difference. Based on APR's dyno numbers stock horsepower of 200 has been increased to 254 with the tuning and to 265 with the addition of the cold air intake system. Some of you may argue with those numbers but all I can say is there is a very noticeable difference in power and some of the turbo lag is been erased. The carbon fiber cold air intake looks awesome. I will take pictures and post when I have a chance. Glad to be posting about something other than window issues.
      All the APR products are great, including their 3" Downpipe and 'short' shifter for manual shift
      cars. Only thing I noticed after the ECU 'Flash' was that there was an abundance of 'wheel hop'
      with all that added hp and torque. Was able to eliminate that with upgrades to 75 durometer
      urethane bushings, as are in the Golf R, for the front lower control arms, the rear trailing arms,
      and the 'dog bone' mount from HPA. Idling is smooth and I get no vibrations during 'spirited'
      acceleration. Also swapped out the upper motor mount for the Golf R's and noticed the one in the
      Turbo Beetle is stamped VW in the metal whereas the one from VW Parts Dept for the Golf R has
      the four '0000' Audi rings stamped into it.

Vehicles
      08-08-2012 05:16 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by ridgemanron View Post
      All the APR products are great, including their 3" Downpipe and 'short' shifter for manual shift
      cars. Only thing I noticed after the ECU 'Flash' was that there was an abundance of 'wheel hop'
      with all that added hp and torque. Was able to eliminate that with upgrades to 75 durometer
      urethane bushings, as are in the Golf R, for the front lower control arms, the rear trailing arms,
      and the 'dog bone' mount from HPA. Idling is smooth and I get no vibrations during 'spirited'
      acceleration. Also swapped out the upper motor mount for the Golf R's and noticed the one in the
      Turbo Beetle is stamped VW in the metal whereas the one from VW Parts Dept for the Golf R has
      the four '0000' Audi rings stamped into it.
      Thanks for your input. I am not noticing any wheel hop at this point but I will see if it develops. I could not be happier with the APR products and would recommend them to anyone.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-08-2012 06:19 PM #4
      Thanks for your input. I am not noticing any wheel hop at this point but I will see if it develops. I could not be happier with the APR products and would recommend them to anyone.
      Since my car is a manual trany car, it could be more susceptible to wheel hop than the DSG.
      The car just stays more firmly planted to the ground with the upgraded bushings which by
      being stiffer than stock, adds to my performance during acceleration. I also replaced the
      oem intercooler with APR's since it has almost three time more capacity. On hot, muggy days
      when 'heat soak' robs power, my car runs much more as it normally does on non-humid says.
      With regard to braking, I simply added TyrolSport's brass caliper bushings which are far
      superior to the spongy 'rubber' oem bushings. Also, by replacing the rubber brake hoses with
      steel braided ones, the ability now to eliminate expansion in the hoses helps greatly to improve
      stopping distance when the brakes have been through all forms of stress which can even
      accompany daily street and highway driving.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-08-2012 07:44 PM #5
      I'm heading to a shop in Kansas city this weekend to do the same thing. My intake is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. It's great to hear how happy you are, i want to be that happy lol But that will mainly happen once these window issues are resolved.

Sent from Tapatalk
      DrTechy is now an Authorized E-Tuners Dealer (Check out DrT Tuning on Facebook or email mario@drtechy.com for details/questions)

2012 Turbo Beetle.... My thread

Vehicles
      08-08-2012 08:33 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by drtechy View Post
      I'm heading to a shop in Kansas city this weekend to do the same thing. My intake is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. It's great to hear how happy you are, i want to be that happy lol But that will mainly happen once these window issues are resolved.

Sent from Tapatalk

Let us know how you like the tune and intake. Ditto on the windows!

Vehicles
      2013 Harley "48", 2012 Fiat 500C, 2012 Beetle 2.5
      08-08-2012 09:48 PM #7
      So glad you guys are having great results with your 2.0s

C'mon APR get a 2.5 and make some upgrades for us non turbo owners.

And seriously my car has had very few window episodes. I LOVE my Bug!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-08-2012 10:26 PM #8
      The one thing APR is lagging behind in concerns their slowness in coming up with a
      cat back exhaust for the Turbo Beetle. However, I don't see how they could come up
      with one better than the Borla one recently released for sale. Whether you want to
      accelerate with a normal sounding exhaust, or get that 'throaty' growl throughout the
      gears, Borla is 'spot on'! Cruising in high gears on highways produces no annoying
      drone so you have the best of both world's. There is a YouTube video by Borla on their
      cat back but keep in mind that car is 'stock', and once you add an ECU 'Flash' it even
      produces more authoritative sounds. I don't think anyone can match Borla for experience
      in top rated exhausts and their prices are reasonable. Fitment also takes only about a 1/2 hour.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-08-2012 10:50 PM #9
      The one thing APR is lagging behind in concerns their slowness in coming up with a
      cat back exhaust for the Turbo Beetle. However, I don't see how they could come up
      with one better than the Borla one recently released for sale. Whether you want to
      accelerate with a normal sounding exhaust, or get that 'throaty' growl throughout the
      gears, Borla is 'spot on'! Cruising in high gears on highways produces no annoying
      drone so you have the best of both world's. There is a YouTube video by Borla on their
      cat back but keep in mind that car is 'stock', and once you add an ECU 'Flash' it even
      produces more authoritative sounds. I don't think anyone can match Borla for experience
      in top rated exhausts and their prices are reasonable. Fitment also takes only about a 1/2 hour.
      Funny you mention that, i placed an order last week, they are on back order, but at least they said it should only be a 3 week wait.

Sent from Tapatalk
      DrTechy is now an Authorized E-Tuners Dealer (Check out DrT Tuning on Facebook or email mario@drtechy.com for details/questions)

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      08-09-2012 01:37 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Dvdmoviemike View Post
      So glad you guys are having great results with your 2.0s

C'mon APR get a 2.5 and make some upgrades for us non turbo owners.

And seriously my car has had very few window episodes. I LOVE my Bug!
      C2Motorsports.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-09-2012 07:56 AM #11
      Funny you mention that, i placed an order last week, they are on back order, but at least they said it should only be a 3 week wait.

Sent from Tapatalk
      I 'jumped' on one one of the five pilot program ones they made in their California plant and
      offered up for sale at 20% less than the price regular stock ones would sell for out of their
      Tennessee facility.

Vehicles
      '15 GTI Autobahn
      08-09-2012 12:26 PM #12
      I installed the Carbonio intake a few days after I had gotten my car. That alone made a huge difference. I can't wait until I can chip it, if I even decide to keep it long enough to warrant it

Vehicles
      08-09-2012 01:54 PM #13
      Second day of driving and my face still looks like the cat that ate the family canary (grinning from ear to ear). Spoke with the APR rep today just to give him feedback and he told me the response will get even better as I continue to drive the car and the tuning gets dial in. Could not be happier with the results. To anyone who is sitting on the fence, go for it!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-10-2012 08:32 AM #14
      I 'jumped' on one one of the five pilot program ones they made in their California plant and
      offered up for sale at 20% less than the price regular stock ones would sell for out of their
      Tennessee facility.
      They actually just shipped mine out yesterday, I'll have it by tuesday. Faster than the 3 weeks they told me originally.

Second day of driving and my face still looks like the cat that ate the family canary (grinning from ear to ear). Spoke with the APR rep today just to give him feedback and he told me the response will get even better as I continue to drive the car and the tuning gets dial in. Could not be happier with the results. To anyone who is sitting on the fence, go for it!
      That's great to hear! I got the intake installed last night, and I'm heading for the tune tomorrow!

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 09:47 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      C2Motorsports.
      I spoke to them and also looked the site over. No upgrades for the 2.5 2012 Beetle yet. Unless you know or see something I don't. I also don't plan on making something work, it has to be for the 2012 Beetle or nothing.

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 09:52 AM #16
      Yes, we have C2 NA software available for all 2.5 equipped cars up and including 2012

Chris

C2

This was my reply from C2 today.

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 10:17 AM #17
      Just scheduled the 2.5 for a C2 Motorsports ECU on 8 Sep. The closest place is booked thru Labor Day weekend. I know I wont get gains like the 2.0 until someone makes a bolt on turbo but a little performance gain will be worth it.

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 02:42 PM #18
      Here are pictures of the Carbonio carbon fiber cold air intake system and APR badging on the rear trunk lid. Still extremely happy with the results.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-10-2012 03:47 PM #19
      You thinking about the stage II carbonio piece? It really completes it, here's mine I put in yesterday:

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 08:54 PM #20
      You thinking about the stage II carbonio piece? It really completes it, here's mine I put in yesterday:

Definitely. I did not realize that was a separate piece until I got home from APR. A bit pricey but definitely makes the engine bay look good and probably gives you a little more performance. Will get it on my next trip to Opelika, Alabama. Love the way yours looks.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-10-2012 09:10 PM #21
      Technically, APR states that to reach Stage II you need to include the 3' downpipe.
      Then you can add another I to your Stage I emblem. I shudder to think of the
      consequences you will be facing if the 'Downpipe Squad from APR' slides under your
      car, after seeing the II on your trunk, and notices that it is the 'stock' downpipe and
      your car cannot be more than a Stage I.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-11-2012 06:18 AM #22
      Technically, APR states that to reach Stage II you need to include the 3' downpipe.
      Then you can add another I to your Stage I emblem. I shudder to think of the
      consequences you will be facing if the 'Downpipe Squad from APR' slides under your
      car, after seeing the II on your trunk, and notices that it is the 'stock' downpipe and
      your car cannot be more than a Stage I.
      He only has the I badge bro, he doesn't have the II on there. Zoom in and you'll see

Sent from Tapatalk

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-11-2012 06:20 AM #23
      Definitely. I did not realize that was a separate piece until I got home from APR. A bit pricey but definitely makes the engine bay look good and probably gives you a little more performance. Will get it on my next trip to Opelika, Alabama. Love the way yours looks.
      Yea definitely a bit pricey, and honestly i doubt it gives any performance increase over the stock pipe but you never know. I admit i only bought it to complete the look lol

Sent from Tapatalk

Vehicles
      08-11-2012 07:21 AM #24
      Yea definitely a bit pricey, and honestly i doubt it gives any performance increase over the stock pipe but you never know. I admit i only bought it to complete the look lol

Sent from Tapatalk
      Spoke with a APR rep yesterday and he told me that the performance gains with the Stage 11 are marginal at best without the 3" down pipe but it does look good so I will probably still do it. He also told me if I install the Stage 11 without the 3" down pipe they would not send the " Goon Squad " after me.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-11-2012 08:39 AM #25
      Spoke with a APR rep yesterday and he told me that the performance gains with the Stage 11 are marginal at best without the 3" down pipe but it does look good so I will probably still do it. He also told me if I install the Stage 11 without the 3" down pipe they would not send the " Goon Squad " after me.
      On the 'plus side', going from 2-1/2" to the 3" downpipe will allow you to attain better air flow.
      On the 'minus side', the only thing would be CEL's associated with the non OEM CAT you have
      added. Would then require adding 02 sensor spacers to tweak the air flow to remove the 'light'
      or have it done through an APR program your 'Tuner' can get access to if the 'spacers' don't
      achieve the desired result.

Vehicles
      08-11-2012 09:01 AM #26
      On the 'plus side', going from 2-1/2" to the 3" downpipe will allow you to attain better air flow.
      On the 'minus side', the only thing would be CEL's associated with the non OEM CAT you have
      added. Would then require adding 02 sensor spacers to tweak the air flow to remove the 'light'
      or have it done through an APR program your 'Tuner' can get access to if the 'spacers' don't
      achieve the desired result.

Thanks for the info. The Beetle is my wife's car. Not sure have far I can go without her pitching a fit! She keeps telling me I have a Porsche Cayman S so stop fooling with her car. I keep telling her modding cars is a decease for which there is no cure. She tells me she definitely has the cure. No sex. Maybe she has a point!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      08-11-2012 10:58 AM #27
      Thanks for the info. The Beetle is my wife's car. Not sure have far I can go without her pitching a fit! She keeps telling me I have a Porsche Cayman S so stop fooling with her car. I keep telling her modding cars is a decease for which there is no cure. She tells me she definitely has the cure. No sex. Maybe she has a point!
      When we get through with her Beetle she will have a little rocket that will get so many of
      her juices flowing that she will be all over you in the bedroom like 'stink on a monkey'!

Vehicles
      08-11-2012 02:27 PM #28
      When we get through with her Beetle she will have a little rocket that will get so many of
      her juices flowing that she will be all over you in the bedroom like 'stink on a monkey'!

One can only hope!

29. 08-11-2012 04:42 PM #29
      idk about the 9hp jump on the carbino... by u saying 265 i would have to assume ur running stage 2??? but yea stg 2 tune, bsh true seal race intake and ghl turbo back exhaust is what i have on my bug and DAM!!!! im doin 310 to the crank and 265 to the wheels.... so i would say unless ur running that i would argue ur numbers all day....but dam mine ran a 13.4 with 2500 miles on the engine and no traction....im going to run it at the track again very soon and see what kind of numbers i put down....should be exciting expecially since i expect it will break 12s

Vehicles
      08-11-2012 05:30 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 210thumper View Post
      idk about the 9hp jump on the carbino... by u saying 265 i would have to assume ur running stage 2??? but yea stg 2 tune, bsh true seal race intake and ghl turbo back exhaust is what i have on my bug and DAM!!!! im doin 310 to the crank and 265 to the wheels.... so i would say unless ur running that i would argue ur numbers all day....but dam mine ran a 13.4 with 2500 miles on the engine and no traction....im going to run it at the track again very soon and see what kind of numbers i put down....should be exciting expecially since i expect it will break 12s

First of all I did not say 265. I clearly stated that APR claims that a 2.0 TSI with a Stage 1 ECU tune and a Carbino cold air intake dyno's out at 265 at the crank. My point was whether you agree with the numbers or not, the power increase is very noticeable and enough to satisfy me.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      08-12-2012 08:32 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by 210thumper View Post
      I'd love too see that track slip for the 13.4

Sent from Tapatalk
      Last edited by drtechy; 08-12-2012 at 01:19 PM.

32. 08-13-2012 09:32 PM #32
      First of all I did not say 265. I clearly stated that APR claims that a 2.0 TSI with a Stage 1 ECU tune and a Carbino cold air intake dyno's out at 265 at the crank. My point was whether you agree with the numbers or not, the power increase is very noticeable and enough to satisfy me.
      sorry i read it wrong....but yea th increase is substantial and it handles it very well

33. 08-13-2012 10:08 PM #33
      I'd love too see that track slip for the 13.4

Sent from Tapatalk
      13.498 @101.49