Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: questions yo

1. 08-08-2012 10:38 PM #1
      So i pulled the engine completely apart, is there a way to test this oil pump? After overheating, and oil light blinking, and smoke coming out of the valve cover i pulled it apart. Rod bearings looked fine, i will be replacing them though, i dont think they should be re-used, right? I will be replacing the oil pump with another one i have from my other engine.

Buttt. Heres the deal.

I measured the ring end gap and the 1st was .026, 2nd was .025

Are these numbers okay? I want as little blow by as possible. And that seems a little large for my tastes. I have aeb pistons, stock bore. Also, my compression, last time i tested was a little weak sauce, i believe it was just over 100 psi per cylinder.
      Unitronic830cc/Racetronix 846cc flowmatched injectors/HP6262SP-b/ TurboSmart Race Port/PrecisionPW39/TurboSmart MBC/Snow W/M Injection/IE Rods/AEB pistons/ARP Main cap studs/ARP headstuds/3" turboback/ FMIC/Custom fuel surge tank/ Wally 255/AEB head/supertech single keeper valves/ IECVA1 cams/IE valve springs and retainers/034 motor mounts. SPEC Stg 4 6 puck clutch, Vr6 lightweight flywheel. KRM intake manifold/80mm tb

2. 08-09-2012 10:30 AM #2
      ?anyone?
      Unitronic830cc/Racetronix 846cc flowmatched injectors/HP6262SP-b/ TurboSmart Race Port/PrecisionPW39/TurboSmart MBC/Snow W/M Injection/IE Rods/AEB pistons/ARP Main cap studs/ARP headstuds/3" turboback/ FMIC/Custom fuel surge tank/ Wally 255/AEB head/supertech single keeper valves/ IECVA1 cams/IE valve springs and retainers/034 motor mounts. SPEC Stg 4 6 puck clutch, Vr6 lightweight flywheel. KRM intake manifold/80mm tb

08-09-2012 01:37 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Mindfault View Post
      ?anyone?
      Ring gap is a little big.

For big boost motors, i run 20 and 17....which are right at the top of the bentley spec

spec is 4 to 20 thousandths.

on the AEB, low oil pressure could have been caused by the intermediate shaft bearings....check the clearance on those.....chances are they need to be replaced.

4. 08-09-2012 02:15 PM #4
      Intermediate shaft? Wtf is that? I have 06a block and aeb head

5. 08-09-2012 05:10 PM #5
      Intermediate shaft? Wtf is that?
      Its right next to your muffler bearings.

6. 08-10-2012 02:15 AM #6
      U funny? Is that right next to my 6262? Weird. ^

7. 08-10-2012 03:04 PM #7
      So i pulled the engine completely apart, is there a way to test this oil pump? After overheating, and oil light blinking, and smoke coming out of the valve cover i pulled it apart. Rod bearings looked fine, i will be replacing them though, i dont think they should be re-used, right? I will be replacing the oil pump with another one i have from my other engine.

Buttt. Heres the deal.

I measured the ring end gap and the 1st was .026, 2nd was .025

Are these numbers okay? I want as little blow by as possible. And that seems a little large for my tastes. I have aeb pistons, stock bore. Also, my compression, last time i tested was a little weak sauce, i believe it was just over 100 psi per cylinder.
      You need to measure the bore and compare to spec. It might be close to out of tolerance and need to go next size up. Easiest way is to get a set of new rings (1 single set for one piston is fine for measuring only) and measure the end gap in the bore before any filing is done (if any is needed) and see where you are. If you can't meet a minimum middle of the specs it will have to be bored next size up. Proceed from there.
      Low oil pressure on the 06a blocks almost always point to worn main bearings, unless the oil pump pickup screen is clogged with contaminants or the pump is bad (unlikely due to the design of the pump mechanism).
      Tighter ring gaps are the only way to get control of blowby, especially on turbocharged/supercharged engines.
      Low compression can be caused by not only poor ring seal/gaps but poor sealing valves due to seat warpage, bent valves, worn valve guides, etc.
      "I am for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for Justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole" - Malcom X

8. 08-11-2012 07:27 PM #8
      Yeah, understandable. The cylinder has only 3k miles on it, fully built, seats were lapped, and checked sealing of the valves with alcohol dumped down the lifter bore. The head was also decked. It is def. A bottom end problem, all bearings look great though. I am honestly leaning towards a failed oil pump. Pickup screen looked good as well when pulled it off.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      08-12-2012 06:27 AM #9
      you could've used bag com to check pressure cold, warm and operating etc.

get a bosch oil pressure gauge and such. never hurts to be able to see it.the 20v has pretty high pressure, so don't be alarmed when you see 90 psi lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.

10. 08-12-2012 12:12 PM #10
      What measuring block is oil pressure?