VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

So that's it, that's your theory? We get old and can'a hack it anymore?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  clutchpack 
#1 ·
At 228k miles, the transmission needs to come out for the third time in 30k miles. I'm no mechanic, but mine said its fatal. The bearings need to be replaced, the transmission split and all those beads of sweat in between.

I didn't give up when the heater core and spider gears nearly explosively blew on the same work commute at 197,197 miles.

I kept at it when some misaligned clutch part nearly explosively disintegrated 12k miles later.

I can't in good faith pay for a third transmission limbo at 228k miles. My dramatic plea for help would go here, but even then I'd probably sell it next year.

From 12/12/2000 to today, you've been my faithful daily. The car I met my wife in. The car that served through a decade of I-90 sprints to Alpental. We even drove coast to coast that one time.

Dusting Whale will find a new home, hopefully one that lasts another decade. I built, and payed for it to last so. Too bad for that "budget" transmission rebuild at 197,197k miles.

Keep throwing the V, be kind to your kin, I'll make room for you on the on-ramps.

See less See more
#7 ·
Ironically, Ive joked about the same thing with people who are serial "new car" people.. I've never understood people who only drive a car for 2 years before moving onto something else. I've had this car longer than most marriages last, so i'd say I've done well.

VR6 swap... hahahha. There's a solution to a problem I don't have!

:beer:

#6 ·
^^that's like asking if I want to stop sleeping with a hot gf who is DTF... I don't want to give it up, but its probably for the best so I can move forward.

Parts cost is not an issue, just getting the tranny opened up.. and I know if I open it up I'll want to swap some gears and such, then not sell it till the next issue comes up. Autohouse Vick said they'd take a listen if I bring it by; not sure if cause nice guys (Tom) or cause I mentioned the shop that did the "rebuild" and they share the sentiment.

#8 ·
I had a convertable rabbit like that after I swapped in a hp 1.8 would just eat up transmissions. It never let me down any other way but that.
So I always had a junkyard tranny waiting in the garage when the one in the car grenaded.
Got the swap down to 1 1/2 hours from start to finish.
I only sold it because I bought a new car and the wife said we didn't need that many car's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.