Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: "Microsoft still runs the internet"

1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      08-09-2012 01:34 AM #1
      That's the exact words I've heard coming out of the mouth of a IT dept manager today at one of my manager meeting.

We were talking about deploying Chrome and Firefox throughout the firm since a lot of users have been asking for them for business use as many sites lately don't render very well on IE.

One mgr in the room voiced that everyone should still use IE because "Microsoft still runs the internet.."

I nearly ROFL at the scene. Well, it was actually atleast 3 different folks at the meeting seem to agree that Microsoft still dominates the internet. Which is very comical coming from IT dept mgrs that uses iPhones.

2. 08-09-2012 01:43 AM #2

My users are all fairly tech-savvy, everybody's starting to ask for Chrome so I just rolled it out via GPO. The almost weekly release cycles and automatic updates that don't require admin intervention are really pretty awesome.

Most of them (myself included) still use IE for Sharepoint, as you can open the document in the browser and save directly back into the document library rather than saving locally, modifying, and then uploading again. IE has its uses, but it just doesn't hold a candle to Chrome for everyday browsing.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      08-09-2012 09:32 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      That's the exact words I've heard coming out of the mouth of a IT dept manager today at one of my manager meeting.

We were talking about deploying Chrome and Firefox throughout the firm since a lot of users have been asking for them for business use as many sites lately don't render very well on IE.

One mgr in the room voiced that everyone should still use IE because "Microsoft still runs the internet.."

I nearly ROFL at the scene. Well, it was actually atleast 3 different folks at the meeting seem to agree that Microsoft still dominates the internet. Which is very comical coming from IT dept mgrs that uses iPhones.
      Wait! what? I thought Linux has always powered the internet. Or is Apache just an Indian tribe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_server
      Last edited by Egilbe; 08-09-2012 at 09:43 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

4. 08-09-2012 11:37 AM #4
      That same manager probably laughs at half the crazy **** you spew out.

Hypothetically, for every business site using IIS, there can be hundreds of sites set up by people like us using Apache. It doesn't take much to configure and manage, which is its appeal. LAMP powers a ton of sites, no doubt about it, and it also helps that it's 100% free. And to all you anti-MS people out there, pump your brakes, I'm not defending IIS and saying that IE is far superior to Chrome and Firefox. I use all 3. In my experience (which may differ from your own), IE is still far more prevalent and preferred in the business sense that a lot of business software relies and works best on IE and not as well on other browsers. Does that mean Chrome and Firefox won't work? Absolutely not. At work I do most of my general browsing in Firefox but there are some sites and apps I use where IE is a much smoother experience.

Vehicles
      2002 Boxster S, 2004 A4 Avant 1.8T
      08-09-2012 12:09 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyGTI View Post
      At work I do most of my general browsing in Firefox but there are some sites and apps I use where IE is a much smoother experience.
      This. There are still a goodly number of sites that will only work correctly, or at all, on IE. The inverse is not true of Webkit browsers or Firefox.

6. 08-09-2012 01:48 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Birds View Post
      Most of them (myself included) still use IE for Sharepoint, as you can open the document in the browser and save directly back into the document library rather than saving locally, modifying, and then uploading again. IE has its uses, but it just doesn't hold a candle to Chrome for everyday browsing.
      I find Sharepoint works better on Chrome than IE. Weird.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      08-09-2012 03:09 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Was this before or after you told him that RAID 5 has a parity drive?

EDIT: If I had to guess I'd imagine this manager was referring to actual browser usage. But he's still wrong.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
      Last edited by Hostile; 08-09-2012 at 03:41 PM.

8. 08-09-2012 06:25 PM #8
      ah management

Vehicles
      Charger R/T|Fixie|Light Rail
      08-10-2012 03:26 PM #9
      This probably what he meant.

Desktop Browser Version Market Share

Phoenix DMZ
      The Ghetto
      New South | Neuspeed | ECS | Optima

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      08-10-2012 05:40 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Was this before or after you told him that RAID 5 has a parity drive?

EDIT: If I had to guess I'd imagine this manager was referring to actual browser usage. But he's still wrong.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
      Quote Originally Posted by azunderg View Post
      This probably what he meant.

Desktop Browser Version Market Share

Why don't these numbers agree?
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      Charger R/T|Fixie|Light Rail
      08-10-2012 07:00 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Why don't these numbers agree?
      idk. you'd figure that w3schools would be correct, but every site i've administered agrees with link i posted(unless google analytics is wrong).

Phoenix DMZ
      The Ghetto
      New South | Neuspeed | ECS | Optima

Vehicles
      01 Neon (sold), 07 Caliber MTX, 07 Quest S
      08-10-2012 07:58 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Jader Pack View Post
      This. There are still a goodly number of sites that will only work correctly, or at all, on IE. The inverse is not true of Webkit browsers or Firefox.
      our corporate browser is also IE, so if you use other thing and you cant see it correclty an intrernal page or web app, you are not getting any support.

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      08-11-2012 01:56 PM #13
      I first read the thread title as "Microsoft still ruins the internet" and thought... wow, Chrome and Firefox users are harsh.

Microsoft still rules the office work station Operating System world.
      And you have to use IE to use Microsoft Update.

So while you can add Chrome or Safari or Firefox, you will still have to have an updated IE on the computer. So most just stick to the IE.

And to be honest- the normal use differences are minor for the average user.
      I use Chrome at home, but I use IE on my work PC... hmm, that rhymed.

As far as web servers go.. that IT guy was was off base.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      2007 Stark Industries Runabout 1500
      08-12-2012 10:50 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I
      Microsoft still rules the office work station Operating System world.
      And you have to use IE to use Microsoft Update.
      I take it you have not moved away from Windows XP yet.
      I skipped Vista, so I wouldn't know, but in 7, Windows Updates is a section of the control panel and doesn't require Internet Explorer at all.

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      08-12-2012 03:06 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
      I take it you have not moved away from Windows XP yet.
      I skipped Vista, so I wouldn't know, but in 7, Windows Updates is a section of the control panel and doesn't require Internet Explorer at all.
      My last two jobs were all XP Pro.
      Companies use their work PCs as long as possible, and they also avoided Vista...
      (many database systems require all the PCs to be on the same OS, and since Vista was not worth swapping all the work PCs over to...)

But I honestly hadn't noticed that on my home PC with Windows 7.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

16. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      08-13-2012 12:12 PM #16
      The Mgrs that recommend IE obviously are clueless about IE not working on various business sites that recommends FireFox. The whole conversation is about users that request Firefox, we receive several requests from the Research dept that needed it for research analysis website that only runs on Firefox.

Couple of Cisco guys needed Chrome for their Cisco Wifi management console.

And several HR folks needed Firefox for their recruiting portal.

These are all business requirements not made by our IT.

I think MS is losing their IE majority slowly because technology is shifting towards industry ratified standards instead of proprietary ones.

Personally I don't use IE because it's just too plain Jane.