Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: K-Star says "no more icing."

1. 08-09-2012 03:29 PM #3
      tl dw

if it has anything to do with ice baths for recovery. then THANK GOD!!!

you ever want someone to give you advice taht goes along with what you want to hear to justify you not doing somethign you should? I didn't even watch the video and I'm already feeling vindicated. HAHAHAHAA

2. 08-09-2012 04:07 PM #4
      Basically saying that inflammation is good and that it's the bodies natural response to tissue trauma and that icing slows the healing process and actually sends the damaged fluid/cells back down the lymph system (which is what drains the fluid when the healing process is complete).

3. Member
      08-10-2012 08:50 AM #5
      I watched the whole thing and agree with everything they said, except I disagree with their unstated premise which seems to be that RICE is for optimal healing. RICE isn't about optimal healing, it's about pain relief and comfort.

For example, Joe Sixpack plays a game of pick-up basketball on Saturday and twists his ankle. he's not icing it, taking Advil, and wrapping a compression bandage on it on Sunday in order to promote optimal healing. He's doing it, because he knows he's got to go to work on Monday and he needs to be able to get his foot in a dress shoe and sit through 3 hours of meetings without being in excrutiating pain.

So, when people use RICE, they're not saying that they know better than the bodies own inflammatory cycle for optimal healing, they're saying that they're willing to trade a bit of healing for some significant pain relief and overall comfort. An analogy might be the fever. We know a fever is the bodies way of killing whatever it is that's making you sick. But I'd gladly take a few Tylenol to bring down that fever so I don't feel like I'm going to die, knowing that whether I take the Tylenol or not, I'm going to eventually get better.

4. 08-10-2012 10:18 AM #6
      I think that is a pretty good way to think about it. There were some obvious questions that should have been asked in the video that they didn't address. For example they never got to elevation.

Also I thought it was kind of hypocritical to say nature knows how to heal better than we do so you shouldn't ice...instead you should use this $600 machine that artificially contracts your muscles. Plus they were talking about inflammation to the degree of swollen ankles and what not, but a lot of times after training sessions my knees or shoulders feel inflamed but there is no visible change in the tissue, is that inflammation also too large for the circulatory system and has to be flushed out through the lymphatic system?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 TDI Jetta Sedan
      08-15-2012 06:56 PM #7
      I will possibly agree with the no icing and mobilizing with soft tissue injury, but i feel like the whole point of icing post training to reduce DOMS is because of the increased blood flow you get post icing. I always thought that that is why you do ice baths after a tough session because after you get out of the ice bath blood rushes to the area and flushes out junk.

08-16-2012 10:47 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Also I thought it was kind of hypocritical to say nature knows how to heal better than we do so you shouldn't ice...instead you should use this $600 machine that artificially contracts your muscles.
      Sounds like an incredible sales pitch.