Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: water/meth % mix and Flammability - vids of % vs flame (colourless)

1. 08-10-2012 06:01 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      Matt, I've always used SLX brand denatured alcohol from the home depot.

$15/gal and 3-4 gal last me through the winter and I mix it with Poland Spring distilled water at $0.89/gal
      Thanks Max, I'll look into that. I've been running a 30-40% meth mix lately trying to move to straight water. I traded a guy some parts for his e30 s54 BT car and he hooked me up with 15gallons of methanol so I've been running that but I'm gonna put that to the side and look into the SLX. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      Anyways, went to work one morning. Parked the car. Went to lunch with a friend in his car. Got a call while I was at lunch "Hey man, you should get back to the office, your car is on fire and the fire department is putting it out"
      Damn that sucks(as I'm sure you know)! I know when you got that call you were like WTF

2. 08-10-2012 08:18 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      I've been running a 30-40% meth mix lately trying to move to straight water. I traded a guy some parts for his e30 s54 BT car and he hooked me up with 15gallons of methanol so I've been running that but I'm gonna put that to the side and look into the SLX. Thanks for the info
      Matt and everyone else reading this, I did some research after posting yesterday (I'm the kind to always want to know the what/when/how of things). I have used SLX denatured alcohol from Klean strip for years, but started using it upon great reviews of my peers on the DSM forums way back in the days.

And here is what the MSDS looks like in short:

48% ethanol
      48% methanol
      4% Methyl isobutyl ketone

That is very high methanol content at 48%. I also found out that the Klean strip company has a Green labeled denatured alcohol that has 95% of ethanol content (the less toxic and corrosive stuff). It it also conveniently cheaper (probably due to less methanol content) and carried at the home depot at the paint section under the same Klean Strip brand. I am going to switch to the Green stuff and recommend it to anyone else.

The SLX stuff however would make for some seriously potent stuff at 100% volume content on a race car with a proper dedicated fuel cell, lines and fittings. Handled properly, it would make the perfect secondary fuel source for the BT guys running out of injectors .
      Last edited by Marcus_Aurelius; 08-16-2012 at 08:16 AM.

3. 08-10-2012 08:24 AM #28
      ^^^ Sunnyside denatured alcohol seems to be another viable choice carried by Lowes (also around 98% ethanol content). I will check on the price point differences today and report.

Vehicles
      Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8t,Audi S6, VW Lupo 1.8t, 16v Scirocco
      08-10-2012 11:27 AM #29
      some more tests
      I read boric acid makes it burn green... cool, but not so practical.. maybe

Just googled this which looks interesting.

color fuel color additive cautions
      Code:
      Green	Methanol, 1 gallon	Boric Acid, 50 g	 
       Dark Blue	Methanol, 1 gallon	nothing - alcohol burns blue 
       Sky Blue	Methanol, 1 gallon	Potassium Iodide, 6g; Methylene Chloride, 200 ml	Poisonous fumes! 
       Violet	Methanol, 1 gallon	Potassium Iodide, 50 g	 
       Yellow	Methanol, 1 gallon	Sodium Chloride, 50 g	 
       Orange	Methanol, 1 gallon	Calcium Chloride, 50 g	 
       Red	Methanol, 1 gallon	Lithium Chloride (actually any soluble lithium salt), 50 g
      and 50/50 mix with some added table salt (le pinch)

okies
      50/50 by volume wmi mix and 100ml of that with a "pinch" of salt..
      le pinch of salt

and when combusted, no flame still... more than a pinch required then.. lol
      http://youtu.be/3lSA5uXM7J0
      Last edited by badger5; 08-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.
      GT35R, Full-Race, DTA S60, SEM, WMI, 8 injectors, SQS Transmission, 1000kg car, >500bhp, Racecar (circuit)
      www.badger5.co.uk

Vehicles
      04.5 TR GLI, 10 Wolfsburg Tiguan, 03 Allroad
      08-10-2012 11:31 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
      I use it myself in my racecar, previously at 50.50, but now no more than 30% because of this.. My tank is not bulkheaded and is in the back of the car (hatchback car)
      I also mix @ 50/50. Looks like I will be going down to a 30% as well to be safe. I really don't want to be burned alive by an invisible flame for and extra 3hp.

Really glad I saw this thread.

6. 08-10-2012 12:23 PM #31
      ^^^ That's if there was 3 HP to be gained from 30% to 50% meth concentration. IMO water is always better when everything is done properly.

Vehicles
      04.5 TR GLI, 10 Wolfsburg Tiguan, 03 Allroad
      08-10-2012 01:11 PM #32
      So out of curiosity, and because a co worker called me out on this (he said methanol flame is blue), I had to test this out myself. I have a 5 gallon pail of "pure" methanol that I use to mix 50/50 with distilled water.

The 50/50 mix that I keep in the trunk of my car, as suggested, does ignite. But I saw a faint blue flame both with 50/50 and pure methanol. I tested this in my garage as to keep it a bit dark. I think if I were to do it outside, it'd be difficult to see the flames.

Vehicles
      05' VW GLI 4motion
      08-10-2012 02:15 PM #33
      This is interesting stuff; I've recently had a meth line to close to heat and burned through... pumping 40% meth washer fluid all over the place - read exhaust manifold.

Actually, the lines are good now but this happened twice in a row

9. 08-10-2012 02:19 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by SB_GLI View Post
      So out of curiosity, and because a co worker called me out on this (he said methanol flame is blue), I had to test this out myself. I have a 5 gallon pail of "pure" methanol that I use to mix 50/50 with distilled water.

The 50/50 mix that I keep in the trunk of my car, as suggested, does ignite. But I saw a faint blue flame both with 50/50 and pure methanol. I tested this in my garage as to keep it a bit dark. I think if I were to do it outside, it'd be difficult to see the flames.
      It has a lot to do with lighting! We're talking about outdoors in day time where we mostly use our cars. At night time, a faint of blueish flame would be visible from methanol, but still not the big orange flames that you're used to.

Vehicles
      hoopty on air
      08-10-2012 10:33 PM #35
      And its official... I am no longer thinking w/m until I get much further into the hp game. This has completely scared the hell out of me.
      Insert witty quote

11. 08-11-2012 12:26 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Niagara_V_Dub View Post
      And its official... I am no longer thinking w/m until I get much further into the hp game. This has completely scared the hell out of me.
      You do know that can run a mix of alcohol (not methanol) and water with a high h2O percentage to make it totally non-flammable. You can even run straight water like I've been doing for a years (only use some alcohol in the northeast winters to prevent freezing).

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-11-2012 09:11 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      You do know that can run a mix of alcohol (not methanol) and water with a high h2O percentage to make it totally non-flammable. You can even run straight water like I've been doing for a years (only use some alcohol in the northeast winters to prevent freezing).
      Exactly.

Think of this post as a psb. You are smarter because of it.

W/m is awesome. One of the best bang for the buck performance adders
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8t,Audi S6, VW Lupo 1.8t, 16v Scirocco
      08-13-2012 04:49 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Niagara_V_Dub View Post
      dont scared of it... any more than you are'nt scared of putting gas into your fuel tank..
      understand it, treat it with respect, and if concerned over flammability choose the % mix as I have indicated that looks to not want to ignite from spark..
      GT35R, Full-Race, DTA S60, SEM, WMI, 8 injectors, SQS Transmission, 1000kg car, >500bhp, Racecar (circuit)
      www.badger5.co.uk

14. 08-16-2012 08:06 AM #39
      Was at the store last night so I took some pics of the SLX (44% methanol content) denatured alcohol and the Green version (95% ethanol content). From now on, the Green is what I'll use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12