Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 VW Eurovan Erratic Speedometer: Other issues?!

1. 08-09-2012 12:19 PM #1
      I have a 01 VW Eurovan that has a speedometer that is erratic. It can be running well, then all of a sudden the speedometer starts jumping around(from 0-120) and then the gas pedal does not seem to work. I have had the cam shaft sensors replaced, the timing chain reset(they were off a tooth) the throttle body and TPSensor replaced. There are no error codes that are coming up, so were not sure if its a computer problem.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am not a mechanic and am on my 3rd mechanic(who I actually think knows what he is doing), the first two were idiots.

I want to love this Eurovan! I have been doing a conversion on it, but haven't had it for the last 3 months as its been in the shop.

Thanks for any input!

2. 08-09-2012 12:37 PM #2
      Just a guess, but could be the VSS?

http://europarts-sd.com/sensor-trans...d1995-2003.asp

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      86 Audi 4000 Quattro, 91 V8 Quattro, '95 90, '00 Passat 2.8 4motion, Lots of parts cars,2 track cars
      08-21-2012 05:38 PM #3
      I'd like to talk to you about this, as I'm working on one that does exactly the same thing. You can email me directly at auditony at gmail, or through the forum with a PM. I'd sort of like to know what all has been looked at on yours so far.

BTW< the one with me only does it when it's hot, or after a hot soak. Does nothing wrong when driven from cold, till it gets up to opperating temp.

4. 08-27-2012 06:15 PM #4
      I can't believe I'm reading this - this is literally the exact same problem I'm having with my 2002 Eurovan MV. After running for maybe an hour, the speedometer starts going crazy. Maybe 10-15 minutes after that it feels like the transmission slips out of gear entirely.

I took it in to our local VW shop. He said the tranny fluid was definitely low, but that's the only obvious problem.

I also wondered about a speed sensor. If you guys have anything to add I would love to know what the problem might be!

5. 09-17-2012 03:16 PM #5
      Hopefully this helps someone in the future, but thanks to Audi Tony (above) and my mechanic we were able to determine that the source cause was most likely the vehicle speed sensor (replaced that and all seems fine). There may also be issues in the wiring harness that goes to the speed sensor.

6. 03-28-2013 08:16 AM #6
      i just got a 2002 eurovan. the speedometer quits intermittently. when i asked prevoius owner he said he replaced the cluster with a used one because of the issue. when that didn't fix it they replaced speed sensor on trans. when that didn't fix it he put old ss back on and replaced the other speed sensor with the new one and that still didn't fix it. Now, my mechanic says he thinks we have a possible wiring problem, and he needs wiring schematics to follow up.

Have you gotten any further with resolving your problem?

Vehicles
      Currently: 2002 EVC; Smart
      03-28-2013 10:23 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Just a guess, but could be the VSS?

http://europarts-sd.com/sensor-trans...d1995-2003.asp
      Pretty much..! However have they tried removing/cleaning the speed sensor, these are magnetic devices that might have picked some metal particles which will indeed throw the senor off. Since a lot of these Eurovans have had some precipitates of metal in the trans, etc.. which might also be full of crud ?. If you see metal shaving in the trans..clean your speed sensor.

Not related to this vehicle but I recall dirty speed sensors on my BMW 1200GS moto. Cleaning did the trick. Your honest mechanic would look at this first to make sure..before attaching the wire harness, bad trans, etc.

cheers...

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      86 Audi 4000 Quattro, 91 V8 Quattro, '95 90, '00 Passat 2.8 4motion, Lots of parts cars,2 track cars
      06-25-2013 01:05 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by thedealmakinman View Post
      i just got a 2002 eurovan. the speedometer quits intermittently. when i asked prevoius owner he said he replaced the cluster with a used one because of the issue. when that didn't fix it they replaced speed sensor on trans. when that didn't fix it he put old ss back on and replaced the other speed sensor with the new one and that still didn't fix it. Now, my mechanic says he thinks we have a possible wiring problem, and he needs wiring schematics to follow up.

Have you gotten any further with resolving your problem?
      On the one I was working on, it is fixed. It was a problem with the wiring. The dealership had removed the trans while doing a bunch of other work to it, and in reassembling it they pinched the wiring between the trans and engine. It was nearly impossible to see this spot. I ended up cutting the harness off on both ends and soldering/heat shrinking some additional wire in the harness. All is good, no more issues.

HTH,
      Tony

9. 08-21-2013 02:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Audi Tony View Post
      On the one I was working on, it is fixed. It was a problem with the wiring. The dealership had removed the trans while doing a bunch of other work to it, and in reassembling it they pinched the wiring between the trans and engine. It was nearly impossible to see this spot. I ended up cutting the harness off on both ends and soldering/heat shrinking some additional wire in the harness. All is good, no more issues.

HTH,
      Tony
      My speedo quit today. I noticed a burning smell. Resistor or wire burning? I had noticed same odor a week or so ago. Maybe I have a harness problem too? The transmission was replaced last year. How hard to see the wiring for the speedo?

10. 08-21-2013 06:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Sancapster View Post
      My speedo quit today. I noticed a burning smell. Resistor or wire burning? I had noticed same odor a week or so ago. Maybe I have a harness problem too? The transmission was replaced last year. How hard to see the wiring for the speedo?
      Don't know on a newer Eurovan, but on my '93 I can remove the fuse panel cover and steering column covers and look up in there and *maybe* see the wiring plug going to the back of the cluster. The cluster itself is a printed circuit board.

On a newer one, you'd have to remove the knee bar (don't recall know how hard that is) and possibly the upper and lower column covers. Not sure if the steering wheel has to be removed or not (and I've no idea on how to safely remove the airbag) or if you can just loosen the covers and move them a little to shine a light up in there.

11. 08-24-2013 04:56 PM #11
      Don't know on a newer Eurovan, but on my '93 I can remove the fuse panel cover and steering column covers and look up in there and *maybe* see the wiring plug going to the back of the cluster. The cluster itself is a printed circuit board.

On a newer one, you'd have to remove the knee bar (don't recall know how hard that is) and possibly the upper and lower column covers. Not sure if the steering wheel has to be removed or not (and I've no idea on how to safely remove the airbag) or if you can just loosen the covers and move them a little to shine a light up in there.
      I was thinking I need to check the wiring harness where it connect to the transmission. Is there an actual mechanical cable to the speedo? Noticed today that Cruise Control in not working either.

12. 08-25-2013 03:28 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Sancapster View Post
      I was thinking I need to check the wiring harness where it connect to the transmission. Is there an actual mechanical cable to the speedo? Noticed today that Cruise Control in not working either.
      I think around 1995 or so they went from cable speedos to electronic ones.

13. 08-25-2013 10:23 AM #13
      I think around 1995 or so they went from cable speedos to electronic ones.
      Ok, thanks for the info. I'll get out the jacks and crawl under. See what I can find.