Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: New TV show concept

Vehicles
      Mazda 3 GT
      08-09-2012 12:28 PM #1
      Why hasn't anyone done a show revolving around a car dealership, and the interaction between the salespeople, managers, service and customers? Seems like comic gold, and a perfect obvious place for product placement.

In the style of The Office or other workplace based shows.

This may have been done already on some channel I don't get.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2012 Edge
      08-09-2012 12:30 PM #2
      Google "King of Cars" - but that was a "reality" show

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
      08-09-2012 12:31 PM #3
      They did and it was total garbage! Ranks right next to Jersey Shore as the best way to waste half an hour of your life.

Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 1999 A4 2.8
      08-09-2012 12:33 PM #4
      As someone who works in a parts dept... some of the things I have seen are comedy gold and every day here is funny for one reason or another. I like the idea of it but it'd probably be bastardized into a reality show or some crap.

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T, current demo: 2015 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-E
      08-09-2012 12:34 PM #5
      paging chilly willy to the sales tower..

oh, and there's this too:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/ot...las-videos.htm
      What I do for a living? This is a small part of it www.lehmanvolvo.blogspot.com ...and now, so is this: www.infinitiofmechanicsburg.blogspot.com

Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2012 Edge
      08-09-2012 12:37 PM #6
      Looks like Paul Reiser pitched this in 2006.

Paul Reiser Plans Sitcom Return
      Matt Webb Mitovich
      Feb 14, 2006 03:00 AM ET

Paul Reiser is mad about cars. Or, more specifically, a car dealership. OK, even more to the point, he's mad about a sitcom pilot he's currently developing for CBS about a guy who sells cars for a living. At the same time, the Mad About You alum is happy to be bringing The Thing About My Folks — which he wrote and produced, and in which he plays son to one of his idols, Peter Falk — to DVD. Reiser found a few minutes to speak with TVGuide.com about his new TV foray (including whether there's a role in it for Falk), and the very special "extra" included in the Folks DVD.

TVGuide.com: I just wanted to amend the story that I wrote a few months ago for The Thing About My Folks' theatrical release....
      Paul Reiser: Whatever I said three months ago, same thing.

TVGuide.com: .... And ask a few questions about your new pilot. Should I assume that you know someone whose family is in the car business?
      Reiser: No, you shouldn't. I don't.

TVGuide.com: So where did this idea come from?
      Reiser: I don't know. This one came out of no reason. [The central character] just struck me as a funny guy.

TVGuide.com: Perhaps an auto dealership is the only workplace comedy setting left uncharted?
      Reiser: Probably not even that. I'm sure there's been plenty of [shows set in] car dealerships. No, I just had this character in mind, I had a deal with CBS and I owed these guys a script. I came up with an idea and said, "Let me go write this," because it struck me as funny. So we're casting now, looking for "the funny guy."

TVGuide.com: Is there any casting news to report yet?
      Reiser: No, we don't have any casting news yet. We want to find the guy.

TVGuide.com: Is he a twentysomething?
      Reiser: "Somebody between 20 and 50. Funny." Shouldn't be that hard.

TVGuide.com: I guess that with this concept, you're going to have to come up with a fictitious automobile brand? Like "Kwikly Motors" or something?
      Reiser: You know what? You are nothing but problems, Matt! I'm already on that. I'm hoping that we can get somebody to [allow the use of their name]. It's a lot of commercial time for somebody, to have a show based in a Cadillac dealership or a Ford dealership. Just don't force me to make it "Joe's Cars."

TVGuide.com: Hey, you've got The Office doing scenes in Hooters and Friday's....
      Reiser: And why not?

TVGuide.com: You only have to make the occasional script compromise, like not having someone throw up in there.
      Reiser: You're right. [The dealership name] is an issue to be determined.

TVGuide.com: How about casting Folks' Peter Falk as a crusty old veteran salesman? This is what I'm thinking.
      Reiser: [Laughs] I like it. He comes back and tries to return the 1940 Ford from the movie. [Doing an uncanny Falk impression] "Uh, look, I have trouble getting parts...."

TVGuide.com: When I spoke to him about Folks, he said he'd love to get back into regular series television if it was the right show.
      Reiser: I think Peter would do Columbo for the rest of his life if they could keep coming up with good scripts.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      08-09-2012 12:39 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      As someone who works in a parts dept... some of the things I have seen are comedy gold and every day here is funny for one reason or another. I like the idea of it but it'd probably be bastardized into a reality show or some crap.
      Also being a parts guy; drama would be easy to add in without being cheesy and it could be hilarious, but would be bastaradized by the mainstream "idea" of what a show should be about.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

Vehicles
      Mazda 3 GT
      08-09-2012 01:21 PM #8
      Maybe I wasn't clear, I didn't mean "reality" TV, I meant a fully scripted, professionally acted show like The Office, as I mentioned. I'm not surprised they'd made a reality show about, nor am I surprised it sucks.

08-09-2012 01:26 PM #9
      Wouldn't take off. The female actresses would get tired of being treated like crap on the set and quit.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

10. 08-09-2012 01:32 PM #10
      There was also a sit com that was based on a dealership. Can't remember the name. Probably because it lasted all of 2 episodes.

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      08-09-2012 01:33 PM #11
      Man that Carfellas show has horrible Italian stereotype characters. Da faq is this sheet.

Blog Entries
      08-10-2012 01:58 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Wouldn't take off. The female actresses would get tired of being treated like crap on the set and quit.
      Boy, it was a good pool for dating from! I used to love service visits