Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.8t Throttle Body Damaged - Water Meth

Vehicles
      04.5 TR GLI, 10 Wolfsburg Tiguan, 03 Allroad
      08-09-2012 12:59 PM #1
      I was driving other day when I got a traction light and flashing epc light on my cluster. Things went downhill quickly from there. Throttle body took a few attempts with vag-com to finally align. Idles were up and down and erratic shortly after.

Took the TB off an noticed that the flapper was sticking (but the TB was clean). After I drove around a bit more, the TB mostly gave up on life. I removed the TB from the car and inspected. What I found was that the bearing on the electrical side of the TB was starting to rust up, causing quite a bit of drag on the flapper. The o-ring right before the bearing was shot. I noticed the other bearing was just fine, and it didn't even seem to have an o-ring to keep moisture out.

Car has 77k miles on it, and I've only had W/M for this summer. I feel like the damage to that o-ring and the bearing damage couldn't have happened in that short of a period of time, but I am sure the w/m only helped to accelerate the deterioration of those parts.

I am running 100cc's after the intercooler and another 100cc's after the TB. It's not like I am spraying a ton in there, and I don't start spraying until you really punch on the throttle.. it hardly comes on at all when driving around town.

Has anyone experienced this same type of failure with m/w? Is there anything that I could do so this doesn’t happen again? Maybe it was just a fluke, but I am guess it had a lot to do with W/M.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta
      08-10-2012 07:22 AM #2
      I'm running 180cc nozzle right after the IC; the further from the TB you can get it the better. Where is yours positioned exactly? I've been running mine this way for nearly a year (October will be 1yr) with NO problems at all. I'm running 100% distilled water most of the time, but have experimented with different blends from 5%-50% methanol

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 08:10 AM #3
      I have one 100cc nozzle right after the intercooler, right in front of the washer fluid res. I have been using a 50/50 blend, but I think I will be experimenting with less amounts of methanol, especially after seeing the videos where 40% meth still ignites and burns witha clear flame.

It's hard to say that water meth is the ultimate cause of failure, but I sure it didn't help.

Vehicles
      1998 MK3 Jetta VRT 6 SPD
      08-14-2012 09:44 PM #4
      Make sure to run good stuff.
      It happened to me twice running crappy windshield washer.

I got my lesson.

I had a dual nozzle setup and both prior to the TB.

Vehicles
      2001 Audi TTQ , 2006 A4Q 2.0T, 1996 A4Q
      09-09-2012 02:59 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by SB_GLI View Post
      I was driving other day when I got a traction light and flashing epc light on my cluster. Things went downhill quickly from there. Throttle body took a few attempts with vag-com to finally align. Idles were up and down and erratic shortly after.

Took the TB off an noticed that the flapper was sticking (but the TB was clean). After I drove around a bit more, the TB mostly gave up on life. I removed the TB from the car and inspected. What I found was that the bearing on the electrical side of the TB was starting to rust up, causing quite a bit of drag on the flapper. The o-ring right before the bearing was shot. I noticed the other bearing was just fine, and it didn't even seem to have an o-ring to keep moisture out.

Car has 77k miles on it, and I've only had W/M for this summer. I feel like the damage to that o-ring and the bearing damage couldn't have happened in that short of a period of time, but I am sure the w/m only helped to accelerate the deterioration of those parts.

I am running 100cc's after the intercooler and another 100cc's after the TB. It's not like I am spraying a ton in there, and I don't start spraying until you really punch on the throttle.. it hardly comes on at all when driving around town.

Has anyone experienced this same type of failure with m/w? Is there anything that I could do so this doesn’t happen again? Maybe it was just a fluke, but I am guess it had a lot to do with W/M.
      I had the same thing happen with the traction control light and EPC on my dash. I had no throttle car would just idle. I turned off the engine and restarted everything has been fine for the last 500 miles. I have a 285cc injector between my intercoolers and a 50cc pre throttle body.
      2001 225 Quattro Coupe, Aviator, Giac-X Chip, TurboX/S H25 Bov, Mofo, adjustable Fpr, Water injection, Boost Machine, Neuspeed p-flow, Neuspeed short shift, dogbone , Cat 51 cam, FK spacer 25MM R, 42 Draft spacer 8MM F, Defcon 2 bushings, Sport Edition KM11 wheels 18x8, tires 225/45-18, Eibach Springs, Neuspeed 19mm rear swaybar, 42 Draft Down pipe, Blue Flame exhaust, 6 point roll bar. LTA record holder G/BGSS mile 142.317, 1.5 mile 150.624.

Vehicles
      A founding Member of the 8v 350+whp Club, Now rocking a B7 S4 mmmmm V8!
      09-20-2012 10:05 PM #6
      it shouldnt have been "rusty" at all.

I ran 1100cc of meth for well over a year. (225cc after IC and 375cc after TB)

pop the cover and clean the electric contacts up nice while you're in there with some rubbing alcohol.

With the pressure in the piping some w/m will force itself into the tb electrical side over time.

Electrical errors will occur as the w/m settles on the circuit board.

Vehicles
      07-31-2014 09:09 AM #7
      It's been a while since this happened, but to clear up the initial cause, I was running only a single solenoid valve and two nozzles, one right after the IC, one right after the TB. With only one solenoid, and a T connector after that, manifold vacuum was siphoning in all the w/m after the solenoid into the manifold, where it would just kinda sit and collect on around the throttle body (since the tb points at a downward angle). This caused the corrosion that lead to the ultimate failure of my TB.

I corrected this issue by installing another solenoid so that no w/m would get pulled into the manifold when the tb plate was closed. I've been running the same TB for a few years now without issues.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Focus ZX3
      08-22-2014 12:19 AM #8
      Good update. Thanks.
      type-dRew
      '03 Focus ZX3 2.3/mtx \\\\ '04 Focus ZTW 2.3/mtx \\\\ '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T/atx