Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Problems Starting After Fuel Pump Install

1. 08-09-2012 06:14 PM #1
      I recently had my fuel pump replaced after it failed. Since day 1 after it was replaced the car will not start on the first try after sitting for long periods of time, i.e overnight. The fuel filter was also replaced at the same time. During startup I hear the pump prime. My mechanic claims it's most likely due to a faulty valve in the pump that is causing this. Once the car turns over there are no issues. If the car sits for only a couple hours it has no problem starting on the first try. Any suggestions before changing the pump again?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      mk2vr6 swap / 05 touareg V8
      08-10-2012 03:36 PM #2
      there is a check valve in the pump assembly that goes bad this is most likely your problem. either that or the switch in the drivers door is bad causing the pump not to prime when you open the door. do your interior lights come on when you open the door?

Vehicles
      Mk1 TT | 2.0T | PTE-5857 | E85 & 03' GTI 24v
      08-10-2012 05:46 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by truman77 View Post
      there is a check valve in the pump assembly that goes bad this is most likely your problem. either that or the switch in the drivers door is bad causing the pump not to prime when you open the door. do your interior lights come on when you open the door?
      TT's don't have the same fuel pump priming system as mk4 golf/jetta's did- we lack the door open prime.
      -Doug

4. 08-13-2012 10:51 AM #4
      now that you mention it, the dome lights do not go on when I open the door. They only work when i turn each one on individually. Could this have anything to do with it or is it true that the mk1 TT's do not auto prime when the door opens? When I turn the car on into the AUX mode I hear the pump prime and it still does not start.

5. 08-13-2012 11:00 AM #5
      also....assuming it's a faulty valve in the pump, does this is anyway jeopardize the reliability of the pump once the car is started? I don't want to get stuck before replacing it....