Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Eurovan autotranny reliability (opinions wanted)

Vehicles
      00 VR Jetta,09Tiguan,69 Bug(o\/o)
      08-09-2012 05:38 PM #1
      Looking at picking up a weekender with a autotranny. I know the Jetta's and such had some issues
      but would love some insight into the Van's autotranny.

I dont have a specific van picked out yet but if there is a year or years to avoid that would be muchly appreciated!

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      08-10-2012 08:21 AM #2
      Eurovans have a 01P transmission which is a larger version of the 01M.

These transmissions are NOT GOOD. I read an article that was written by the largest rebuilder of auto transmissions in Europe. Their opinion of these transmissions is so bad that they do not even provide a warranty withy these when they rebuild them.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. 08-13-2012 12:57 AM #3
      How about the 098? Is that any better?
      I have a rebuilt (I'm told and given receipts) CEU in a '92 Eurovan that shifts and moves in most gears, except it is slow to engage in D and moves in D only when cold. After a few minutes of running it ceases to move in D. DTC is the common 00658 and it has the S switch on the dash that makes no difference. Swapped in speed and multifunction sensors, did oil and filter change, DTC cannot be erased, comes right back.
      How does the round harness for the ribbon strip come off?
      Thanks,
      Tihol

Vehicles
      08-13-2012 02:10 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by tihol View Post
      How about the 098? Is that any better?
      Not in a Eurovan.

The problem your describing is gonna require the trans to come out. (if its full of fluid). Your probably looking at replacement or rebuild.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

5. 08-14-2012 04:49 PM #5
      Thanks.
      The fluid is fresh at proper level and new filter. Not a chance it could be a sticky solenoid or other valve body issue?
      No metal shavings found in oil pan, just a small amount of clutch material, which I thought was from the break-in of the new parts after the rebuild.

Vehicles
      08-14-2012 06:56 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by tihol View Post
      ......, except it is slow to engage in D and moves in D only when cold. After a few minutes of running it ceases to move in D.
      What your describing is a pressure loss to the forward clutch. All the parts that seal pressure to forward and internal and cant be accessed without complete removal of the trans and disassembly.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

7. 08-15-2012 01:49 PM #7
      Thanks again for your help, CoolAirVW.
      I was hoping that instead of losing pressure at the seals, the pressure loss was due to a faulty solenoid (for D) getting worse as the fluid warms up.
      From reading a self study guide it seems the same clutch is used for 2nd gear and the same brake (term in the German guide) is used for 3rd gear. Those work fine apart but not together as required for D. Shouldn't the seals be OK then?
      If seals are OK, maybe it's the TCU?
      Could it be faulty sensors?
      Used to have a DTC for speed sensor but this is gone after I swapped it.