Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Wheel/Tire Noise at Certain Speed

Vehicles
      '95 Jetta III GL
      08-10-2012 12:21 AM #1
      This is more or a less a general car question rather than strictly mk3 related.

Recently curbed my front passenger-side wheel and tore the valve stem. Got up the next morning, tire was just about completely flat. Survived throwing my spare on using the windowmaker (scary as sh*t), drove down to the tire shop, they threw a new valve stem in, checked for leaks, balanced it, and threw it back on my car (was surprised to see the tech use a torque wrench on the lug bolts).

Hopped on the highway, noticed a new noise around 30+ mph. It doesn't exactly sound like a wheel bearing to me (I'm only used to hearing extremely bad ones that just grind and are loud as sh*t). It's more of a low, droning noise. There are no new vibrations, steering hasn't been affected. I did replace both rear wheel bearings about 1500 miles ago, so I can't imagine it's them. I'd think if they had problems it would have crept up long before now. I followed the DIYs to a tee.

When I bought this car the PO had recently replaced the front tires since the camber was WAY off. I replaced the blown strut with an OEM one, new strut bushings, fixed the camber the best I could. I never did get an alignment like I should have, mainly because I've been waiting to refresh the front suspension if something else should crap out. Long story short, this car was in an accident a few months ago and afterwards I discovered a lot more rust than I initially thought, so basically this girl's being driven into the ground.

Obviously I want to make the thing as safe as possible but I don't want to invest a sh*tload of coin since this is a DD/beater. Any insight vortex?
      "You're not billing me for this, are you?" Bitch, I am a professional. Ass, cash or grass, NO One rides for free.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin_87
      Hell, you could run soda through your cooling system and you would get heat until you destroyed the engine.

Vehicles
      '95 Jetta III GL
      08-10-2012 07:11 AM #2
      bump.
      "You're not billing me for this, are you?" Bitch, I am a professional. Ass, cash or grass, NO One rides for free.
      Hell, you could run soda through your cooling system and you would get heat until you destroyed the engine.

Vehicles
      8v
      08-10-2012 09:52 AM #3
      Weird.
      VWfiends

Vehicles
      '95 Jetta III GL
      08-10-2012 11:19 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by zrace07 View Post
      Weird.
      Incredibly insightful.

Think I found the culprit. Took the car over to my gf's dad's garage and pulled the tire myself. Entire inside tread is worn significantly. Moved it to the left side and voila, found my issue. I'm assuming this is due to camber. The only thing I'm left wondering (didn't have enough time to check tonight) is if when the tire went flat the strut bolts were loose enough that the entire knuckle moved in the strut and it just wore itself down when I went for a drive right after I got the tire put back on. I just can't imagine the tire wearing THAT fast (in less than an hour's worth of time)?

Way I figure it is lack of alignment/tire rotation meant once this tire was re-balanced it either ate itself to death, or was in a bad way and is only showing itself now. Either way now I have to justify replacing the majority of the front suspension (control arms, ball joints, tie rods since it's all original) and an alignment, or try to find another one and salvage any and all parts I can from this thing and scrap it.

For a car I paid 500 bucks for this f*cker's taking me to the cleaners.