Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New Guy Here

1. 08-10-2012 02:04 AM #1
      Hi. Name's Orlando. I'm a dyslexic grammar Nazi and computer geek. Weird right?

I have just acquired a 2000 Jetta. It cost me $1,500US.

Good:

1.) Mostly good body. Just saw a very tiny pinch of rust on the hood, like smaller than a fingernail (I'll check more tomorrow). Just a few small dents here and there, and usual body wear.

2.) VR6 (or so I was told) black leather seats. However the driver side slide adjustment doesn't work. I'm not sure the heat works on them either, I'll look more into it.

3.) Stereo pre-installed. Takes most of the work I have to do out.

4.) Transmission swapped. 160k on it (or so I was told).

5.) Nice decent wheels. Better than what I have had so far.

6.) HID kit already installed.

Bad:

1.) Transmission is in "safe mode" (i think). It won't shift out of 3rd. I got the turbine code in OBDII. I'm working on having someone fix it soon.

2.) 210,000 on body and engine.

3.) HID kit has no projectors. I worry about blinding people, but it seems they are pointed down, or they have shields on the bulbs. Also no high beams and HIDs are always on, unless I turn parklights on and then highbeams.

4.) Speaking of tranny, G38 wire harness is damaged.

5.) Stereo installed is crap, so are speakers, and I already blew out crap amp (Kicker KX250.2).

6.) Front tires need new rubber. Mis-matched tires.

7.) Driver window does not go all the way down.

8.) Keyfob is glued open, and it does not lock all the doors. Only the front passenger. I have to manually lock rear doors and driver door with key.

9.) Battery was too small (gonna get a yellowtop).

10.) Cat is busted. Not sure if muffler exist. Car is loud, but not terribly loud.

11.) AC needs recharging.

A lot of the bad is just stupid minor crap.

I hope to fix her up, get her looking good, and hopefully not be an embarrassment to the VW community. It's an auto, so please don't crack on me. I can sort of drive stick, but honestly I don't want to bother with having to change gear so much. If anything I kind of would like it to be the auto-stick that I see in some models.

So it has much potential. I already got some props from the local VW guys, but I'm embarrassed when I drive it. This is the nicest car I've owned, coming from a 1986 Civic, 1989 Acura Legend, and then a 1986 Cavalier.

I was part of the Acura Legend forums, and there was quite a bit of racism. I hope to not receive the same treatment here. Feel free to be blunt about my car, but please be aware of the weight your words may carry.

Vehicles
      Bagged 24v, Static '95 Golf, Stretched and Lowered 2006 ZX6R (636)
      08-10-2012 02:13 AM #2
      Sounds like you have a good plan,
      My advice to you is to lurk, don't post a whole lot asking silly questions like most people do.
      You can learn alot from the people here and all of the information posted.
      The search button is your friend, and remember
      Buy nice or buy it twice.

Good luck!

Vehicles
      High-tech storage device
      08-10-2012 02:34 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GiveEmHell View Post
      Sounds like you have a good plan,
      My advice to you is to lurk, don't post a whole lot asking silly questions like most people do.
      You can learn alot from the people here and all of the information posted.
      The search button is your friend, and remember
      Buy nice or buy it twice.

Good luck!
      This. And pictures of said vehicle please?
      Quote Originally Posted by zero_x_soul View Post
      i only clicked on this thread because it said gay

Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta VR6
      08-10-2012 02:42 AM #4
      welcome to the vortex... not much racism here but if you car is black than it has to get to the back of the forum... lol just kidding.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta 1.8T
      08-10-2012 06:59 AM #5
      welcome. good luck
      Quote Originally Posted by BlazinVR View Post
      almost everytime i make a post, i get the usual response "lower it" or "moar lowz."
      Quote Originally Posted by bwdidwhat View Post
      Long story short, recommend something that looks nice and will keep my fat stacks in their appropriate location (in the safe, next to the semi-automatic pistols and massive amounts of controlled substances)

Vehicles
      Car that looks good from afar.
      08-10-2012 08:21 AM #6
      welcome to the forums and congrats on the car. sounds like you already know what needs to be worked on first, good luck with the project
      || Mk4 Wheel Offset and Stance Picture Index || ClearWaterDubs || ClearWaterDubs@VWVortex ||
      || Please don't PM me with offset questions, post in THIS THREAD instead ||

7. 08-10-2012 12:04 PM #7
      Picture time:

Thanks for the awesome welcome everybody!

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta 1.8t (sold) 2003 GTI 24v
      08-10-2012 12:19 PM #8
      you f*cked up by buying an automatic.

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg
      08-10-2012 12:21 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by rbuicki View Post
      so it begins...
      OP sounds like you have a solid idea of what needs to be done. Good luck
      Instagram: TheColbster813

Vehicles
      2004 PG Jetta 1.8t
      08-10-2012 12:23 PM #10
      For $1500 that's not terrible I guess. As long as you have the extra cash to get all of that stuff fixed quickly. Otherwise you might find yourself hating the car for a while until you get it done. It's hard enough trying to ball on a budget and that's just because of maintenance.

But good luck. I like the green.

You should check out ntq's car. Although I think his is right hand drive now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hustlin View Post
      knot my flamesuit knot my problem
      I see what you did there.

11. 08-10-2012 12:27 PM #11
      Sorry about that crazy large picture, it was from imgur, and I couldn't find the edit button.

So... problem #1:

I'm getting code P0715 - Input turbine speed sensor circuit malfunction

So everyone (including here) seems to keep saying its the G68 and G38 combo. So I look for G38 since it's closest and easiest to get to and this is what i find:

Warning large image:

So I try and reconnect the wires, however it's still a problem, so I'm going to have the sensor changed.

12. 08-10-2012 12:31 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by rbuicki View Post
      Maybe, but as I said in my first post, I'd prefer to just drive the easy way first as I am not that confident in driving manual atm.

I was told sticks are easier on gas, wear and tear on the tranny, and much easier to fix, however I just got a new job, I needed a car quick and I didn't want a rust bucket. So I saw this and fell in love.

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta GLS 1.8T Uni Stage 2, 2012 Tiguan 4Motion Revo Stage 1, 91 S13 SR20DET, B3 Wagon 16V
      08-10-2012 12:31 PM #13
      welcome!
      car needs a lot of work...good luck. post progress in this thread as you go, would be cool to see you turn it around.
      Quote Originally Posted by dangerkart View Post
      (Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)
      instagram: @jaysleeves

Timeline: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...eeves-Timeline

Vehicles
      07 A6 (Sexmobile), GTI MkIV 1dot8tee, Mk3.0 Cabby Two.Slow (Project), 03 Trailblazer 4x4
      08-10-2012 12:43 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyLegend View Post
      Maybe, but as I said in my first post, I'd prefer to just drive the easy way first as I am not that confident in driving manual atm.

I was told sticks are easier on gas, wear and tear on the tranny, and much easier to fix, however I just got a new job, I needed a car quick and I didn't want a rust bucket. So I saw this and fell in love.
      You don't have to explain yourself, bud. Idgaf (nor do most people) if you've manual, automatic, jet engine, hamster wheel... fact is, you're giving it a good shot and you have a very good platform. I'd be willing to bet this car is going to be your lover and teacher

I like the color. I'd have jumped on it for $1,500. Have you any pics of the interior? Did the PO do anything to it? Any plans for it? From what I can see in your pictures it's good, clean black leather

I'm in

Edit:
      ...So I try and reconnect the wires, however it's still a problem, so I'm going to have the sensor changed.
      Also, I'd suggest getting a new harness to get rid of those butt-splices. Electrical rigging is a no-no
      Last edited by TheMel; 08-10-2012 at 12:47 PM.
      Volkswagen: Folks-Vägen - noun -- Wind on wheels. Do it. Then post it.

Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      Maybe you should use your seatbelt less. Aim for trees.

Vehicles
      1999.5 Jetta TDI 5spd, MODDED
      08-10-2012 12:55 PM #15
      I was part of the Acura Legend forums, and there was quite a bit of racism. .
      White Power.

Also, do a "Rim Delete", clean the headlights, and a different grill. Nice car

16. 08-10-2012 01:28 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMel View Post
      You don't have to explain yourself, bud. Idgaf (nor do most people) if you've manual, automatic, jet engine, hamster wheel... fact is, you're giving it a good shot and you have a very good platform. I'd be willing to bet this car is going to be your lover and teacher

I like the color. I'd have jumped on it for $1,500. Have you any pics of the interior? Did the PO do anything to it? Any plans for it? From what I can see in your pictures it's good, clean black leather

I'm in

Edit:

Also, I'd suggest getting a new harness to get rid of those butt-splices. Electrical rigging is a no-no
      Does that harness have a particular part number?

Vehicles
      07 A6 (Sexmobile), GTI MkIV 1dot8tee, Mk3.0 Cabby Two.Slow (Project), 03 Trailblazer 4x4
      08-10-2012 01:32 PM #17
      It should but the likes of which I'm not sure. Grab yourself a repair manual before you start any repairs (you can't rely on the internet for everything, trust me). Find what you need, get the exact name of the part and search for it. That always works
      Volkswagen: Folks-Vägen - noun -- Wind on wheels. Do it. Then post it.

Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      Maybe you should use your seatbelt less. Aim for trees.

Vehicles
      static 2002 1.8t gti
      08-10-2012 01:41 PM #18
      welcome to the forum

new wheels, oem grille, coils, and some cleaning up, and this car could be looking good
      HOOD RAT STATUS | flickr | Instagram: ryr0 | homebase610

19. 08-10-2012 01:47 PM #19
      Found it.

Code:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PIN-WIRING-HARNESS-PLUG-1J0973722-AUDI-A4-A6-VW-BEETLE-GOLF-JETTA-PASSAT-88-/140735947043#ht_2128wt_1163

20. 08-11-2012 04:10 PM #20
      So, nice new development.

Bolts holding the bottom tranny mount in have both snapped. Not even sure they were good in the first place.

Talked to my mechanic, he's really hooking me up, plus he has a parts Jetta on the lot.

Vehicles
      Hit by a dump truck
      08-11-2012 06:20 PM #21
      I see you are running HIDs in stock housings. That's a no-no.
      These are the bulbs you want:
      http://store.candlepower.com/bfcopo90hbpo1.html

You are also going to want to clean those lenses. Two budget-oriented options.
      1) 3M or Turtle Wax headlight restoration kit. <$25
      2) http://volxtuning.com/products-page/...dlight-lenses/ $90

For the wheels (not rims ) try to find a set of clean OEM wheels on Craigslist or a similar site. I would recommend long beaches.

Try to find an OEM grille as well. They can be had pretty cheaply at a junkyard. Paint it black but keep the emblem chrome.

Just my 0.02

22. 08-11-2012 08:52 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Deathader View Post
      I see you are running HIDs in stock housings. That's a no-no.
      These are the bulbs you want:
      http://store.candlepower.com/bfcopo90hbpo1.html

You are also going to want to clean those lenses. Two budget-oriented options.
      1) 3M or Turtle Wax headlight restoration kit. <$25
      2) http://volxtuning.com/products-page/...dlight-lenses/ $90

For the wheels (not rims ) try to find a set of clean OEM wheels on Craigslist or a similar site. I would recommend long beaches.

Try to find an OEM grille as well. They can be had pretty cheaply at a junkyard. Paint it black but keep the emblem chrome.

Just my 0.02
      How come no one likes my wheels? They look really good when they are clean and I've been getting lots of compliments on the overall look of the car. I may get some different ones eventually, but I'll keep these for now.

As far as lenses go, I'll keep them in for now, no one has been complaining about them, since they seem either pointed down or have those funky shields which keep them from blaring in oncoming driver's eyes.

These are the ones I want: https://t9k.me/1P6 maybe not those particular ones, but that style. I like the CCFL halos, look much better.

I also want to get these fogs: https://t9k.me/1P7

As far as the grill goes, I like the logo delete, but I may get something different.

Lastly I would like to lower it just a bit and give it a more agressive stance.

I didn't get this car to make it into a racer. I want something that looks good, I'm an 80's-90's baby and it was mostly about stylin' and profilin' back then.

I'll add small mods that will make it a little quicker to stroke my ego, but being an automatic there isn't much I can do anyway. A turbo kit for this car cost more than the car itself. I'm more interested in making it a little bit more showy so I can come hang out with you guys at meets and all.

Am I making sense? I guess you can call me a ricer, but without the rattle can job and fart cannon.

23. 08-11-2012 08:55 PM #23
      I think I like this grill if I do one with a emblem: https://t9k.me/1P8

Vehicles
      3 tone red car
      08-11-2012 08:59 PM #24
      How come no one likes my wheels? They look really good when they are clean and I've been getting lots of compliments on the overall look of the car. I may get some different ones eventually, but I'll keep these for now.

As far as lenses go, I'll keep them in for now, no one has been complaining about them, since they seem either pointed down or have those funky shields which keep them from blaring in oncoming driver's eyes.

These are the ones I want: https://t9k.me/1P6 maybe not those particular ones, but that style. I like the CCFL halos, look much better.

I also want to get these fogs: https://t9k.me/1P7

As far as the grill goes, I like the logo delete, but I may get something different.

Lastly I would like to lower it just a bit and give it a more agressive stance.

I didn't get this car to make it into a racer. I want something that looks good, I'm an 80's-90's baby and it was mostly about stylin' and profilin' back then.

I'll add small mods that will make it a little quicker to stroke my ego, but being an automatic there isn't much I can do anyway. A turbo kit for this car cost more than the car itself. I'm more interested in making it a little bit more showy so I can come hang out with you guys at meets and all.

Am I making sense? I guess you can call me a ricer, but without the rattle can job and fart cannon.
      This whole post makes me
      Hi.

Vehicles
      Bagged '12 GTI
      08-12-2012 12:09 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by known2ridenaked View Post
      i died seeing this
      work hard. drink harder.

instagram: itznj
      my thread.

26. 08-12-2012 12:22 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by i3rent View Post
      This whole post makes me
      I don't know what I can say that wouldn't make anyone unhappy.

It's an automatic. So I don't have much room for performance.

What would you suggest not does not include swapping my transmission for a manual?

08-12-2012 12:36 AM #27
      Before you spend ANY money on modifications please read read read read the forums and see what you really like.

As for the HID's in your current headlights please take them out, you are currently blinding other drivers and putting less light down on the road for yourself, making very unsafe driving conditions for all parties on the road.
      Also those headlights that you posted will have very very bad output for the money you pay. If you want to spend $300 on some lights i suggest that you look at making yourself a set and retrofit HID projectors into your current headlights.

Vehicles
      static 2002 1.8t gti
      08-12-2012 12:39 AM #28
      I don't know what I can say that wouldn't make anyone unhappy.

It's an automatic. So I don't have much room for performance.

What would you suggest not does not include swapping my transmission for a manual?
      stick with oem headlights, maybe get some glass lenses, ultimo coilovers (cause theyre cheap and go low), maybe oem wheels like long beaches if you don't have much money, and there ya go looks nice for cheap
      HOOD RAT STATUS | flickr | Instagram: ryr0 | homebase610

29. 08-12-2012 12:49 AM #29
      Is it because my wheels are black. /racism

30. Member Chauncey Wellington III's Avatar
      Vehicles
      A 2005 Red Supercar
      08-12-2012 12:52 AM #30
      HIDs need to be thrown out. Otherwise not a bad pickup for 1500.
      Quote Originally Posted by Twilliams83 View Post
      oh god tape measures are out
      TheGreatCatTakeover2012XWTB: Sex LightsXFree Av.

31. 08-12-2012 12:57 AM #31
      Ok. HIDs need to go, or projectors need to be put in.

I like the HIDs color, so I'll put projectors in.

Another question: Anyone on here in the Central PA area?

Vehicles
      2004 TR R32, Bagged 2000 GTI VR6 12v, 1982 1.6 diesel Caddy
      08-12-2012 01:00 AM #32
      Welcome mate. We all start somewhere. Best of luck with it!
      2004 .:R32
      www.VolkShore.net
      Quote Originally Posted by SoIAteABlueWaffleToday View Post
      Air ride because I'm a paid ass ***** and I'll do as I please. Do I need to wear 6gold chains no but I do it for hoes

Vehicles
      jettachka
      08-12-2012 01:36 AM #33
      Another question: Anyone on here in the Central PA area?
      This guy is. Where you at?

34. 08-12-2012 02:06 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by iliaonabike View Post
      This guy is. Where you at?
      Palmyra.

Next to Hershey, Lebanon, Harrisburg. You're about 2 hours away.