Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 MOTOGP discussion thread

1. Banned
      Vehicles
      no dubs :(
      08-10-2012 12:35 PM #1
      Only found one other thread and it was in the aussie forum!?!

Let's talk 2012 season ---

apparently within the past few hours, MOTOGP.com is reporting Rossi headed back to Yamaha for 2013, maybe he starts winning again?

the deal is for 2 years.

discuss!

Vehicles
      '12 Volt, '14 Cherokee, '02 954 Fireblade
      08-10-2012 01:58 PM #2
      Its been ok this year. Better than last, at least Stoner isn't winning. CRT machines don't add anything to the series IMO. And Rossi's move is not surprising, I'm no Rossi fanboi, but it was obvious that machine was not up to the same level as the rider.

Vehicles
      2010 R1 Fiat Edition -- 04 Evo 8 RS -- 97 ITR -- 96 Golf Harlequin -- 97 GLX Jetta -- 03 Forester
      08-10-2012 02:39 PM #3
      I am a Rossi fanboi, and am glad he is going back to Yamaha. I'm sure he will be right back on the podium and fighting for victories. And this shows that he wants to win, and its not about the money because he turned down a huge offer from Ducati to stay, and took a major pay cut to go to Yamaha. But he will bring in some big sponsors I'm sure.

As far as him leaving, its the same reason Stoner did. He would give input on what he needs and / or wants from the Bologna factory, and they would tell him parts are on the way, but never come. Some consider it a career killer because of struggles such as Melandri's, but he has proven himself in WSBK since.

Ducati met with former Yamaha engineer, now retired Masao Furusawa to try to get him to do consulting for them, but he declined. The Japanese are very loyal, and he didnt want to do anything dis-honorable. But that would of possibly been something to help them for next year, or even to hope to keep Valentino with them using him as bait.

Now onto other seats / riders available.

Dovi -- Looking to be taking Rossi's seat.

Crutchlow - Most likely staying at Tech 3 ( but upset no factory team ). ( sponsors love him / team right now )

Spies - Rumored to be going to BMW WSBK with Melandri

Bautista - Uncertain. San Carlo chip company still wants an italian backing their brand ( RIP 58 )

Bradley Smith - Has a contract with Tech 3. Will it be a MotoGp or a CRT bike ( If following happens)

Depuniet - Possibly in talks with Tech 3 ( Always fast and more consistant )

Ianonne - Either taking Bautista's seat ( the italian San Carlo wants ) or Duc satellite team

Redding - Tested the Duc last week with Ianonne at Mugello. ( Factory satellite team )

I think thats most of the major stuff now. But I follow MotoGp pretty closely, so this will be a great thread to dump that news into.
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

4. Member
      08-11-2012 06:01 PM #4
      A poor series this season. One race has been worth watching, otherwise it's been pretty boring. The CRT experiment is a monumental failure. With all the stupid rule changes and politics taking even greater precedence over racing that normal, I wish this series would die already. It is a shadow of itself 6-7 years ago.

5. Senior Member
      08-14-2012 01:39 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post
      CRT machines don't add anything to the series IMO.
      +1

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post
      And Rossi's move is not surprising
      +1 And if he does move back to Yamaha I'll be shocked, I thoought the reason he left was that he had to be the team's prima donna I actually thought he'd jump on Stoner's spot.

Quote Originally Posted by MK2*GTI*GUY View Post
      Spies - Rumored to be going to BMW WSBK with Melandri
      If true it won't technically be the factory team, it'll be BMW Italia as the factory 'team' is pulling out. Or that's the last I heard welcome to the silly season
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      2010 R1 Fiat Edition -- 04 Evo 8 RS -- 97 ITR -- 96 Golf Harlequin -- 97 GLX Jetta -- 03 Forester
      08-14-2012 02:35 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      +1
      +1 And if he does move back to Yamaha I'll be shocked, I thoought the reason he left was that he had to be the team's prima donna I actually thought he'd jump on Stoner's spot.
      Already official since last week.

And this morning from Valentino on twitter
      "It's a great pity I couldn't be competitive with Ducati, it would have been great satisfaction for me and all the guys who worked with me and all our fans. I'm sorry"

"Anyway, we still have eight races to go and we are going to try until the end with some nice races for all our supporters."

Yamaha didnt want to commit to Valentino as their number one rider, and wanted to go with Lorenzo being the younger of the two. And back then they had a wall up between the two riders. But Jorge said this week that he welcomes Valentino back because it will help push the team, and push him further as well. Jorge also said not to rule out Valentino, and that a rider like him doesnt just lose that kind of talent, especially at only 33 y/o.

And it was pretty evident that Marc Marquez was going to be on the Repsol next year, being backed by them for basically his whole carrer ( Like Lewis Hamilton in McLaren). Not to surprised they kept Dani either, even though its two spaniards.
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

Vehicles
      08-14-2012 05:35 PM #7
      I'd like to see Dovi on the Duc. It may not be as good as the Yamaha, but I think he has the talent to help develop the bike.

8. Senior Member
      08-14-2012 05:40 PM #8
      Already official since last week.
      I avoid moto-news websites when I have a race still on the DVD Needless to say I'm shocked. I wonder if Honda would have had him back had he wanted (or tried) to go that route.

I also wonder if Audi will dump any extra coin into the program, it would be bitter sweet to see Nicky trounce the Yamaha gods with a properly sorted bike
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      08-14-2012 07:04 PM #9
      I avoid moto-news websites when I have a race still on the DVD Needless to say I'm shocked. I wonder if Honda would have had him back had he wanted (or tried) to go that route.

I also wonder if Audi will dump any extra coin into the program, it would be bitter sweet to see Nicky trounce the Yamaha gods with a properly sorted bike

VR had an option at one point it was rumored to have a factory RC213V if he wanted. But it basically would of been like his first year in 500's where his bike was a self financed ( By Sponsors ) factory ride.

And its rumored that Dovi is receiving certain promises from Ducati / Audi, and that he is already signed to a deal that will pair him with Nicky. And that Ducati it still considering the 4 bike team for next year, with two of them being factory sattelite bikes to help development along. But even with the bike sorted, I dont think Nicky will be battling for wins all of a sudden. But maybe get to taste some champagne once in a while.

If true it won't technically be the factory team, it'll be BMW Italia as the factory 'team' is pulling out. Or that's the last I heard. welcome to the silly season
      Factory team is gearing up for a possible MotoGP entry in 2014, which may have been helped by VR going back to Yamaha. Carmelo Ezpeleta wants a standard issue ECU like Moto2 for MotoGp to keep it exciting, but with VR maintaining viewership for the sport for alteast 2 more years, Carmello can hold off, which will make BMW, and even Aprilia happy.
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

10. Senior Member
      08-14-2012 08:06 PM #10
      Just goes to show you, the desire to win overpowers one's ego

V
      Factory team is gearing up for a possible MotoGP entry in 2014,
      That would be frakin awesome

11. Banned
      Vehicles
      08-14-2012 10:09 PM #11
      a few random thoughts -- super interesting that Audi bought Ducati, i had no idea til like 2 weeks ago. HOPEFULLY that means they are looking to innovate and make changes all the gripes i've heard from Hayden is slow to react to bike not being good enough.

stoner is a beast.

that german rider on the Playboy bike his name escapes me? he's def surging nicely.

looking forward to indy this weekend!!!!

Vehicles
      08-15-2012 11:21 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Righteous Bucks View Post
      stoner is a beast.
      That he is. Its fun watching him use every bit of his traction control. He still has a huge ego though.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...yamaha-return/

that german rider on the Playboy bike his name escapes me? he's def surging nicely.
      Stefen Bradl ( Son of ex-racer Mehmet Bradl )

He has definately come to grips quickly with the bike, and giving LCR some of their best results possibly ever. Which makes me excited to see what Marc Marquez will do on the Repsol next year.
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

13. Banned
      Vehicles
      08-15-2012 01:32 PM #13
      i initially hated Rossi but for some reason I've come to like him a lot -- i think his personal website made him an endearing character, his ipod feature on his website is awesome. and such an eclectic mix of music.

i guess seeing him "mortal" on the ducati made him more likeable but all the while i've been thinking it's not him, it's the bike. i fig there's no way you can take 2 riders as good as hayden and rossi and they're BOTH horrible racers on the same mfg's bike. too much of a stretch that 2 champions have "lost it". the common variable is the ducati.

i asked APR if they could make them faster since Audi now has bought Ducati It would be interesting if they did get into bike tuning.

14. Senior Member
      08-15-2012 02:24 PM #14
      The only alien without an ego is pedrobot, but that's probably because he's missing a personality to begin with

As for the article, well, turnabout is fair, I recall Rossi saying that about Stoner and the Duck

15. Banned
      Vehicles
      08-15-2012 04:19 PM #15
      do you guys know the motogp rules as far the bikes are concerned? i tried to find them but couldn't find anything via google --

i'm specifically interested to know if there are rules to the tuning and engine and etc. i know i've heard the riders say the bikes are all prototypes for the most part.

how bout weight? i know nascar is anal to the detail to make every car equal.

wondering how it works in moto, i'm assuming cc size is standard, but outside of that? i remember about 15 years ago, a guy was telling me, in motorcycle racing there was at the time at least, a problem with people 'milling heads' -- and if you got caught it was a big deal. i've not heard any talk about this since watching motogp. i don't know if this guy i was talking to was referring to AMA, or what.

Vehicles
      08-15-2012 05:26 PM #16
      I've seen it in the past, i'll have to look for the technical data again though.

Dorna caps off one of the exhaust ports at the end of every race and seals it with their stamp after post race tech I do know though.
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

17. Senior Member
      08-15-2012 06:23 PM #17
      i don't know if this guy i was talking to was referring to AMA, or what.
      The last time I heard of that was when Mat Mladin, 2008 AMA SBK, was penalized (they took away his win against spies) for having milled heads IIRC.

Otherwise, yeah motogp is prototype racing (think lemans prototypes for cars). They are restricted by engine size, electronic aids, tires, etc. You have to engineer outside the box

Which is funny as these hightech machines are cutting edge. Which coincidentally to fix a chatter issue on Rossi's yamaha a few years back they actually used a hack saw
      Last edited by Silly_me; 08-15-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Vehicles
      08-15-2012 07:42 PM #18
      Thread needs more pictures. How about some pictures for this upcoming weekend of the guys unloading. c/o Steve Blackburns twitter. Tech3 mechanic

VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

Vehicles
      08-19-2012 12:27 PM #19
      Indy seats look empty. Good attendance for MotoGp, but nothing like the 300k people or so that go to the 500.
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

Vehicles
      08-19-2012 11:45 PM #20
      Indy seats look empty. Good attendance for MotoGp, but nothing like the 300k people or so that go to the 500.
      Certainly not. Still, they said 65,000 or so.

Spies was looking at a podium, early on. Terrible luck with his engine. :-/

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 01:38 AM #21
      Engine only had 8 sessions on it. Possibly the same one he crashed with in qualifying. An engine should last 33-36 sessions.

The rest of the season will be interesting with him and Yamaha. He said a few things in his post race interview expressing anger. And he told another reporter that a "high up" at Yamaha told him after he got food poisoning in Assen "not to show up at Laguna, unless he is going to give 100%". Whether true or not, I'm sure they weren't expecting Dovi and Crutchlow to be out scoring Spies by as much as they are.
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

08-20-2012 04:24 AM #22
      Been watching Motogp for a few seasons now and this is the first time I've seen an engine go out like that. Just like an F1 engine.

BTW, can someone explain what is a CRT bike? I understand the engines are production based. So what about the chassis then? Is it a spec chassis? Or CRT teams gets to choose from a selected CRT approved chassis.

It's sad to see Colin Edwards in the back of the field on his CRT bike. But at least it's one of the fastest in class.

Vehicles
      2005 Accord LX, 1980 Yamaha XS850(sold), 2002 Honda VTR1000, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
      08-20-2012 11:39 AM #23
      The spies thing just looks terrible, I feel for him, he's got talent and the drive to win. Just seems like yamaha is letting him down. Seems a bit funny that lorenzo isn't getting the same kind of bs.

From my limited understanding, CRT bikes are cobbled together pieces using different chassis and modified production motors with all the fun expensive suspension bits. Down about 10-20 mph on the factory bikes on the straights. Though from the way they're talking about them, give the CRTs a few years to refine their bikes and they might have a better shot at some of the satellite teams and maybe even a factory ride every now and then. Cause currently the factory rides are pretty damn mature in their engineering, excluding ducati.

I'm excited to see rossi back on yamaha though, I'd love to see him mixing it up again up front. Its a shame we're losing stoner and spies. But gives the other guys a chance I suppose.

edit: For example, the colombian guy that raced at Indy, was on a crt bike using a zx10r derived motor with a custom manufacturer chassis.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      It ain't easy being an overweight, uneducated, Sunfire driving whoop whooping clown.

Vehicles
      13 Focus ST, 93 CBR900RR
      08-20-2012 12:00 PM #24
      Ugh race looked like it was going to be awesome then BOOM! Upsetting, but sh*t happens I guess. Still watch every race but man, it would be nice to see some battles for position...

I find AMA to be much better for watching this year.

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2014 Porsche Cayman
      08-20-2012 07:38 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by AshyLarry View Post

I find AMA to be much better for watching this year.
      WSBK is my weapon of choice. Just love the fact that you've got a ton of manufacturers in competition. MotoGP is becoming a Honda/Yamaha snoozefest. I still watch but they really need to do something to make the series more interesting--and CRT's aren't the answer. Ditch that BS spec Bridgestone tire for starters.

26. Senior Member
      08-20-2012 08:24 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by U n i o n 0015 View Post
      WSBK is my weapon of choice. Just love the fact that you've got a ton of manufacturers in competition. MotoGP is becoming a Honda/Yamaha snoozefest. I still watch but they really need to do something to make the series more interesting--and CRT's aren't the answer. Ditch that BS spec Bridgestone tire for starters.
      +1on all accounts, anx at least the tire battles kept things interesting.

Vehicles
      13 Focus ST, 93 CBR900RR
      08-21-2012 11:02 AM #27
      True WSBK is fun as well, my DVR is still backlogged with those, need to catch up for sure.

Vehicles
      2005 Accord LX, 1980 Yamaha XS850(sold), 2002 Honda VTR1000, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
      08-21-2012 11:22 AM #28
      I tried watching WBSK, but its not that ragged edge hauling ass kind of racing that motogp is. Granted its good, but I like motogp races much more, even if someone hauls off into the sunset 7 seconds ahead of everyone.
      It ain't easy being an overweight, uneducated, Sunfire driving whoop whooping clown.

Vehicles
      08-21-2012 01:48 PM #29
      You cant go wrong with the battles in WSBK, WSS, or Moto2.

And a lot of people mention they want multiple tire manufacturers again, like it was up to 08'. While it was a cost cutting / equalizer to try and get everyone closer by having everyone on brigestones in 09', you had Pedrosa and other riders ditching the Michelin's mid way through the 08' season due to them doing the following. Even causing DNF's.

Rossi
      VR46 ----"THE DOCTOR"

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2014 Porsche Cayman
      08-21-2012 02:08 PM #30
      I would think that would mean Michelin would recognize that they had serious problems with their tire and they would fix them ASAP!

The spec tire sucks because it forces the manufacturers to build a bike around the tire and not the other way around.

Ashy, watch WSBK 2012 @ Silverstone...Race 1 was probably the best (and craziest) motorbike race I've seen all year.

31. Senior Member
      08-21-2012 02:27 PM #31
      As far as I care prototype means prototype right down to the tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Knock Sensor View Post
      I tried watching WBSK, but its not that ragged edge hauling ass kind of racing that motogp is.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 mazda3 sport skyactiv, 2011 gsx-r 600
      08-22-2012 02:15 AM #32
      ^^^ Don't bother, with that statement he clearly has not watched a single WSBK race this season.

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 11:30 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by nimmo View Post
      ^^^ Don't bother, with that statement he clearly has not watched a single WSBK race this season.
      Watched the two races at the aussie grand prix at philip island. Not that exciting except for checa highsiding in race 1.

Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      08-22-2012 01:41 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Knock Sensor View Post
      Watched the two races at the aussie grand prix at philip island. Not that exciting except for checa highsiding in race 1.

Maybe I'll give it another chance.
      Find Silverstone, Race 1. I've been watching 2-wheeled racing for going on 35 years now and this was one of the Top 5 battles I've ever seen and honestly, I'm a GP-fanboi, but as far as, "Holy $&@*, did you just see that pass and then re-pass" moments go, WSBK is in another universe compared to The Alien Show where one of them disappears into the distance. I have yearly Penthouse tickets to The Indy GP and still, no contest compared to the WSBK thrills.

Holy run-on sentences L8 apex?
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Try to understand being offended and being right are NOT the same thing.

35. Banned
      Vehicles
      08-27-2012 02:54 AM #35
      what a finish at the czech republic!!!!!! probably the best race all year. pedrosa taking that race in the last few turns, just wow. would have loved to see a 3 way battle in this race with stoner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast