Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: spark plugs?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Gli MK II, 83 MKI Rabbit
      08-10-2012 12:39 PM #1
      looking at new spark plugs for my girls 02 cabrio 3.5 all the threads that tell you the NGK number the pictures are down or missing cant find that much info on this

also looking at wires too any suggestions?

thanx in advance
      Last edited by Greensteeldragon; 08-10-2012 at 12:47 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by VegasJetta View Post
      Nitrous is like a smokin hot chick with AIDS and Herpes. You REALLY wanna hit it, but are afraid of the consequences...
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      Newsflash: It isn't getting worse every year. You're just getting older and crankier every year.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      08-10-2012 03:05 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Greensteeldragon View Post
      looking at new spark plugs for my girls 02 cabrio 3.5 all the threads that tell you the NGK number the pictures are down or missing cant find that much info on this

also looking at wires too any suggestions?

thanx in advance
      whats wrong with going to the parts store and telling them you want some NGK plugs for an 02 cabrio?

believe they should be the ngk bkr6e's gapped to .032"

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08-10-2012 07:30 PM #3
      Cause every autozone and advance autoparts store around me is a bunch of idiots, so I like to make it as brainless as possible for them

Any suggestions on plug wires looking at aftermarket ones like euro sport but not sure if its even worth it, I'm not building the motor up or nething but a stronger spark is always better

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
      Nitrous is like a smokin hot chick with AIDS and Herpes. You REALLY wanna hit it, but are afraid of the consequences...
      Newsflash: It isn't getting worse every year. You're just getting older and crankier every year.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      08-10-2012 10:35 PM #4
      Bosch wires, not part store brand. With a stock ignition system, there is no benefit to "upgrading" the wires. Just get the Bosch replacement set. I have seen many made-in-China parts-store-brand wire sets arc right out of the box, so stick with Bosch, it's worth the extra couple bucks.

FWIW, I usually use Bosch Super plugs for ABA. NGK may also be OE, those will work fine as well.

Just a suggestion...if you're just doing maintenance, it's a good idea to replace the cap and rotor at the same time as the plugs and wires.
      Last edited by Anony00GT; 08-10-2012 at 10:43 PM.
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      08-11-2012 11:56 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Anony00GT View Post
      FWIW, I usually use Bosch Super plugs for ABA. NGK may also be OE, those will work fine as well.

Just a suggestion...if you're just doing maintenance, it's a good idea to replace the cap and rotor at the same time as the plugs and wires.
      keep reading that bosch is poop in this forum and the 8v one so trying to stay away from them and of course replace the cap and rotor but thanx

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      08-11-2012 12:53 PM #6
      keep reading that bosch is poop in this forum and the 8v one so trying to stay away from them
      Really, cause Bosch was an OEM plug for VW much longer than NGK has been. Stay away from any multiple prong plug and you'll be fine. I generally get any "basic" plug and they work just fine, no matter the brand. You can go with a platinum or iridium plug for longer replacement intervals. The main thing on any plug is to have it gapped to the correct spec and have the correct heat range for the application.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado ABA-T and MS3-Pro powered, 84 Honda V65 Sabre
      08-11-2012 01:09 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ps2375 View Post
      Really, cause Bosch was an OEM plug for VW much longer than NGK has been. Stay away from any multiple prong plug and you'll be fine. I generally get any "basic" plug and they work just fine, no matter the brand. You can go with a platinum or iridium plug for longer replacement intervals. The main thing on any plug is to have it gapped to the correct spec and have the correct heat range for the application.
      NGK BKR6EIX for N/A BKR7EIX for F/I end of discussion
      The Professor
      Melbourne, FL
      92 Corrado OBD2 ABA-T (BW EFR 6258) Powered by MS3Pro
      Linfert Performance: The Megasquirt guy in central Florida Like my Facebook page....
      Sandy Linfert 11/4/1991 - 5/13/2013

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      08-11-2012 03:20 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ps2375 View Post
      Truth.

Bosch Platnium +2 and +4 plugs generally suck, with a few exceptions where they are OE. Bosch Super are regular copper plugs, and good ones.

Bosch makes the OE wires for ABA, and they also make many components for VW (from plugs to ECU's and everything in between) and always have as far as I know. Where are you reading bad about them? Keep in mind, there are many made-in-China "Bosch" knockoffs, beware of those.
      Last edited by Anony00GT; 08-11-2012 at 03:23 PM.
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08-11-2012 03:47 PM #9
      im at wrk now or i would site the other topics that bring bosch down, did a simple search for spark plugs and found a lot of negative information aganist them

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      08-11-2012 05:23 PM #10
      im at wrk now or i would site the other topics that bring bosch down, did a simple search for spark plugs and found a lot of negative information aganist them
      And most of those are prolly +2's and +4's or have no real factual evidence.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.