Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VierSpeed's IS300

Vehicles
      02 RSX, 06 Outback ······················ 03 Mustang GT
      08-10-2012 04:21 PM #1
      Well well well. Look who's back again with another episode of 'checking cars off the automotive bucket list.' RSX? Check. Impreza 2.5RS? Check. STi swapped GC6? Check. E36? Check. Mustang GT? Check. So what's next?

Ever since I first saw it in the 'First Drive' feature back in the May 2000 issue of Motor Trend, the Lexus IS300 grabbed hold of me and refused to let go. I loved the aggressive headlights, the super short front overhang, the gentle fender flares, the short rear deck and the quad tail-light design. On the inside I loved the gauge cluster with that chronograph-inspired layout, the simple ovals and ribbed highlights throughout, and the sporty look of the seats. At a scant 14 years old, I was convinced I had found the perfect car. Trouble was, I wouldn't be driving for another 2 years and I wouldn't have any real idea of how much cars could cost - especially something that was such a complete package, until much later.

Little did I know, of course, that my automotive wanderings would take many side streets on my path to the best compromise between the immensely emotional inner enthusiast and the immensely frustrating practical side. You know, the angel and demon that sit on your shoulders and fight to the death over every automotive purchase? Yeah, I thought you might. From wimpy 4-banger Hondas to buzzsaw big turbo Subarus to testosterone injected Mustang V8s, you might say I was a bit of a lost cause - but truth be told, they all lead me to experience certain qualities and features across a broad range of genres and gave me a rather widespread understanding of what I wanted - and more importantly what I needed - in a car. There's been ups and there's been downs, but ultimately the best way to learn is to experience things for yourself.

It was clear during my past few years of car shopping that my childhood desire for an IS300 would always be just beyond reach for a clean, low-mile, well-maintained example. This is even before considering option packages and colour combination choices ('Eurobeige or death!', they exclaimed; I sided with death). Every time I'd be browsing for a replacement car, I'd start with the IS300s. It wouldn't take long, of course, to realize that anything remotely affordable was trashed. Toyota reliability or not, I had no desire to take on a 250,000km+ example and hope for the best, even if you could find one that wasn't tackily modified or had gone through 5 or 6 owners and had no records or hope of being what I was looking for. At this point I had resigned myself to settling for an automatic - of which I had heard good things, so I felt it was an okay compromise just to get the rest of that package - as anything with the fabled 5-speed manual was well out of reach.

Perhaps the stars aligned or perhaps I'm the luckiest gear-head around, but last week, it happened.

It's a 2002 5-speed sedan in Intensa Blue Pearl. However rare that combination is, there's a few other things going on that raise eyebrows. The car is factory optioned as follows:

- 5-speed manual transmission
      - Cloth sport seats (non-heated)
      - HID headlights
      - Fog lights
      - High spoiler
      - 16" alloy wheels
      - No sunroof

And this is interesting because:

- I've only seen 5-speeds with full option packages (leather, sunroof, wheels, etc.)
      - I've only seen one or two across the full 01-05 production range without leather seats
      - I've never seen one without a sunroof

So while mine is far from the utmost statement in luxury, it's surely unique in how it was optioned. Whether this is a good thing or bad is a matter of personal preference; I happen to prefer cloth seats to leather and have never had a thing for sunroofs. All the better for me, I suppose.

My car has a few things to note that aren't factory spec:

- New Tokico Illumina struts
      - New Tein S-Tech lowering springs
      - New JDM Stern 18" wheels
      - New Nankang Ultra-Sport NS-II tires
      - New AEM cold-air intake
      - New HKS Hi-Power axle-back

And has had the following items taken care of in the last 5000km (the car has just over 150Km):

- Timing belt
      - Water pump
      - Coolant flush
      - Brake fluid change
      - Transmission fluid change
      - Differential fluid change
      - Brake rotors / pads all around
      - New battery

The car is, from what I've been able to experience thus far, mechanically sound and very well maintained. My initial driving impressions from tooling around town and taking a few 60min+ trips are as follows: It's quiet. It's comfortable, but communicative. The steering is nigh-on telepathic - and while that's an immense pleasure when the going gets twisty, it does require more effort to keep the car on-center and out of grooves or indentations during highway driving. At 110km/h (70mph) the engine is turning 3K, which seems rather high to me for a 3.0L; I knew the rear end ratio was quicker with the manual but I didn't expect it to be revving so high at that speed. It's not annoying or buzzy or all that noticeable, but I always find myself reaching for 6th gear - and from a fuel efficiency perspective that would be a plus as well. I have yet to drain my first fill-up, so I have no report on mileage at this time. I'm not expecting amazing results, but I've found that some people report better than average and some report worse; either way it's not a deal breaker for my projected driving usage. The NA 2JZ isn't anything amazing, but it's got a very smooth power delivery and more than adequate torque across the rev range. At idle, you can't even tell that it's running - it's that smooth.

The seats aren't aggressively bolstered, but they do hold your mid-section fairly well. Thigh support is mild, but with the center tunnel as large as it is, you're always resting and able to brace on that anyway. The clutch is light and has a bit of an odd engagement feel (there's a hydraulic system of sorts that feathers the engagement to prevent stalling - I need to look into this more, as I've found many owners bypass the system). Compared to the stage III clutch in the Mustang, this thing is effortless. The shifter can be a bit notchy, but it engages positively and there's no doubt as to where you've just slotted it. I have reason to suspect there is a short-shift kit installed based on the shape of the shifter itself, so I'll be investigating that sooner or later. The brakes are, in a word, fantastic. There's a bit of lead-in when you first apply pressure, then there's a very positive build of power as you depress further. The throttle response is a touch slow - and I knew I'd miss a cable-actuated throttle - so it took a little getting used to; it's not really noticeable now however. The pedals are near enough together to facilitate heel-toe braking, and the stock pedal covers offer a firm, solid platform and transmit the nuances of the vehicle's activities well through thin-soled shoes. All of this driver-centered communication works very well when you're looking for a spirited drive, and it fades back to being comfortable and reserved when you're not in the mood. The suspension, being far from stock at this point, is firm without being harsh, but absorbs bumps well and doesn't transmit any crashing or bounciness to the cabin. The rear suspension design, as also reported via other owners and review articles, allows for a bit of an odd 'wallowing' when at speed and driving over perpendicular bumps or ridges. It's not ideal to feel that the rear is 'disconnected' for that brief moment, but it's not alarming. I'm wondering if a sway bar would aid in bringing that looseness into check. All in all, it's a very focused and enjoyable experience.

For now my plan is to enjoy the car as is. I have a stash of the stock parts that came with the car, and I may replace that gigantic HKS muffler with the stock axle-back; I'll see what I think later on. It doesn't seem to drone and gives the 2JZ some flair without being obnoxious, so perhaps it will stay. The previous owner kept his aftermarket stereo system at my suggestion, so I'll be on the look out for something that suits my tastes on that front. I'm tempted to return to a stock stereo and run an auxiliary amplifier and subwoofer, but that depends on availability of the stock head unit. I haven't had much luck in the short time I've looked locally.

So that's that. I finally bought an IS300, 12 years after the seed was planted. It's bright blue, it's rare, it's just a touch of flash with a dash of Lexus refinement and a heaping of Toyota reliability - and I absolutely love it.
      Last edited by VierSpeed; 08-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.
      █ ♣ █....|....├┼┤....|....I'd paint them with fire - shepherdgti

Now: 2002 RSX • 2006 Outback 2.5i • 2003 Mustang GT à la Vortech
      Then: 2001 2.5RS • 1996 328is M-Sport • 2000 2.5RSTi • 1999 Mustang GT • 2002 IS300 5MT

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      08-10-2012 04:40 PM #2
      Very cool. Never seen that combo either.

Manual is a must in these cars, as the 5AT starts in 2nd gear

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      08-10-2012 05:00 PM #3
      Those look like the seats from the Altezza RS200 (JDM). I think I like them more than the suede/leather, since they don't wear too well over time.

I'm still puzzled how you can equip it with HIDs, but no roof/leather.. Strange combo indeed!
      Also, I thought ass warmers were standard for our side of the planet.. LOL

4. 08-10-2012 05:09 PM #5
      Congrats on the car, i have always liked them and if i could i would import one down here.
      I had a funny signature before, and it went to waste with the switch!

AZ people need a quick computer repair www.mightyits.com

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      08-10-2012 05:14 PM #6
      I've driven a cam'd, intake, header back IS300 with LSD and it's a ok car.

MUST HAVE mod tho

Vehicles
      2013 N20, 2008 RC46, 2012 RC63
      08-10-2012 05:20 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post

I had noticed that, too. I assume there was an aftermarket HU in there?

No matter, because this gives you literally a blank slate for audio
      The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.

-phaedrus

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      08-10-2012 05:27 PM #8
      Awesome! I love the color and the spec.

Haven't been able to read the whole thing but how does it compare to the E36, handling-wise? If already answered, ignore.

My neighbor's brother is drifter Hiro Sumida and his daily is a red IS300 5-speed. I drool over it whenever he's over .

His other IS :

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      '91 C2 964
      08-10-2012 05:28 PM #9
      TL;DR
      Instagram -> @farklefitment
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      ...cretinx tried to touch on this point above but if you check his post history it is fairly easy to tell that he is an imbecile. I have doubts that he can drive a nail, much less a car.

Vehicles
      Drivers, beaters, pedal bikes
      08-10-2012 05:31 PM #10
      Wow, that car with those options is an amazing find. I also always look for an IS300 when I'm car shopping and have yet to come across something like that.

Congrats, and I'm jealous as hell.

EDIT: Dammit, you got me searching and I found a clean manual transmission car near me.
      Last edited by zane!; 08-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Vehicles
      My other VW is a WVW-W VW
      08-10-2012 06:18 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by BHCfarkas View Post
      TL;DR
      no kiddin'

I thought the guy was looking for bug-eye WRX wagons... pretty much the same blue colour in the end...

Nice Toyota get some sticky-pod mounts and IR remotes for the cameras already aaaaand gold LMs. stat!

· ·we're only gonna die for our own arrogance that's why we might as well take our time...
      · · /
      · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to Ø

Vehicles
      Silverado, Forester
      08-10-2012 06:25 PM #12
      Nice pickup, I wanted one of these up as my commuter but the gas mileage killed it for me. I second your motion of sticking the stock cat back on.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      08-10-2012 06:31 PM #13
      Interesting change. Looking forward to see what you do with this one.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      u jus made bc 2 bitches are sweatin me.

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      08-10-2012 06:34 PM #14
      Nice! Glad to see you found one, I will also own one at some point in time. The design is so perfect.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      08-10-2012 06:35 PM #15
      That's exactly how I'd have optioned mine; great find!

Can the Supra's 6MT be fit in with relative ease? I'm not sure of the ratios but I'd imagine it giving you better mileage.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      00 Prelude SH, 08 CR-V AWD, 92 NSX Coupe
      08-10-2012 06:44 PM #16
      Manual with cloth seats? Awesome, sounds like an incredibly rare spec.

Congrats!

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 06:45 PM #17
      Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Always nice to know my rambling is more or less well received.

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Haven't been able to read the whole thing but how does it compare to the E36, handling-wise? If already answered, ignore.
      The 328is coupe I had felt like the center of gravity was much lower, which I thought made it feel heavy. The IS feels light on it's feet, while the E36 felt more planted; it's been a while since I've driven something similar so the IS is a huge change already from the Impreza and Mustang.

This completely inconclusive review brought to you by Owning-Too-Many-Cars-In-A-Row (OTMCIR).

My neighbor's brother is drifter Hiro Sumida and his daily is a red IS300 5-speed. I drool over it whenever he's over .
      It feels to me like any colour other than silver looks great on the IS. I haven't seen a red one for sale up here in a good long while.

Quote Originally Posted by BHCfarkas View Post
      TL;DR
      Aww.

Quote Originally Posted by zane! View Post
      I also always look for an IS300 when I'm car shopping and have yet to come across something like that.

EDIT: Dammit, you got me searching and I found a clean manual transmission car near me.
      This is one of those times that I'll happily be an enabler.

Quote Originally Posted by VR6ix View Post
      I thought the guy was looking for bug-eye WRX wagons... pretty much the same blue colour in the end...
      Indeed I was. And Outback XTs and Legacy GTs and Volvo V70Rs. Oh and unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Can the Supra's 6MT be fit in with relative ease? I'm not sure of the ratios but I'd imagine it giving you better mileage.
      That's a thought I had as well. To be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      Manual with cloth seats? Awesome, sounds like an incredibly rare spec.
      I know how many manuals and automatics were sold per each production year and whether sedan or sportback, but breaking it down by colour and option gets tricky. Perhaps there's a way to determine such things, or perhaps it's a fool's errand. I'd like to explore it either way, however.
      Last edited by VierSpeed; 08-10-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Then: 2001 2.5RS • 1996 328is M-Sport • 2000 2.5RSTi • 1999 Mustang GT • 2002 IS300 5MT

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      08-10-2012 06:55 PM #18
      You probably paid alot for this or does not have clean title. People on the West side are asking ~$11000 for them and they're automatic!

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      08-10-2012 08:28 PM #19
      Cool find.

Vehicles
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      08-10-2012 08:38 PM #20
      someone brings an is300 to local C&C

Yeah. its pretty ****ing hawt.
      pardon my 'merican

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 08:40 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      You probably paid alot for this or does not have clean title.
      I'm not sure Alot can drive stick.

Title is clean. Rear bumper has been replaced, that's the only accident evidence I've been able to find.

People on the West side are asking ~$11000 for them and they're automatic!
      Prices for these are usually quite high, but there's good reason for it.

21. 08-10-2012 08:42 PM #22
      always annoyed the heck out of me how high they rev on the interstate... and it's not like they're fast at all to make up for it. they seriously need a 6 speed...

Vehicles
      1984 Rabbit Conv., 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid
      08-10-2012 08:52 PM #23
      my IS is silver, automatic, with cloth seats, no sunroof, and HID's. I've yet to see another equipped so... spartantly. Love the car though, plan on hanging on to it for a long time.

Vehicles
      B4S TDI Passat
      08-10-2012 09:29 PM #24
      Was anybody else expecting a tuning company did up their version of an IS300 when they read the title?
      Last edited by bherman13; 08-11-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Vehicles
      '07 Mazda 3s GT, '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
      08-10-2012 10:16 PM #25
      Always loved these. I'd really like a Sportback in black but no manual - Not that I would care.
      Quote Originally Posted by MK420TH92 View Post
      Now b/c of this im fkn paranoid about mines. For for theifs out there u better watch out... cuz im nockturnal....i dont go to sleep till 4am either.... and i bought a machette a ago... if i see u near my car im running out there and ima chop ur ass up.... real shiitt
      http://www.adventureseekers.co
      We are giants, with stars at our fingertips

Vehicles
      01 Audi S4 stg 3, 06 VW Touareg V8, 00 Cadillac DTS
      08-10-2012 10:39 PM #26
      I found a minty 2002 stick similar to yours last year for my better half in grey. It has similar mods, but has a moonroof and leather. It does drive really, really well, and I prefer the way it handles over my Audi S4 equipped with a KW V3 suspension.

It has been dead reliable, and is fun to drive. Best part is I bought it for a song, as I buy and sell cars for a living. OP, you made a shrewd purchase!!

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      08-10-2012 11:08 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by King View Post

It has been dead reliable, and is fun to drive. Best part is I bought it for a song, as I buy and sell cars for a living. OP, you made a shrewd purchase!!
      I've never seen cars priced in songs. Maybe that's some sort of Canadian currency? I mean, hell, you already have loonies. Might as well have songs.

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      08-10-2012 11:19 PM #28
      I love it. Enjoy!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

28. 08-11-2012 12:40 AM #29
      Very nice purchase! This makes me miss my old '01:

Mine had a more standard option list (escaine/leather heated seats, sunroof, LSD), but finding a stripper manual is pretty awesome. Mine had 111k trouble free miles when I stupidly sold it. It has been my favorite car to date... reliable, tossable, tail-happy, and built like a tank. I'm still looking for a nice Sportcross to add to or replace the Si. I'm one of the weird people that prefers the automatic to the manual in these cars.

Oh - whoever it was that said that the automatic started in 2nd isn't quite correct though - it was supposed to start in 2nd in snow mode (mine didn't seem to do that), but in normal or "power", it was always 1st in my car. In manual mode you can't select 1st, but there really isn't a need to do so anyway.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      1.8t
      08-11-2012 12:51 AM #30
      The IS300 will always hold a special spot in my heart... it came out right when I graduated high school and I wanted one so bad(a luxury sport sedan that wasn't like all the cookie cutter BMWs out there along with Lexus/Toyota reliability), but there was no way I was going to get a 30k car at 18.

However, IMO, the IS250/350 have superseded it in looks...

30. 08-11-2012 01:15 AM #31
      first, congrats !

everyone has a special car , but not everyone gets to own it

best of all : its a LEXUS

again, congrats

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      08-11-2012 03:49 AM #32
      When was this car first introduced? The interior looks like '90s Subaru. I like the exterior's 3-series-like proportions and the engine must be great. Nankang tires are pretty terrible, so expect them to lose their treads in big blocks of rubber.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      08-11-2012 08:08 AM #33
      Not a fan of these cars. A failed attempt to compete with the 3 series. The 3 is more ubiquitous...but for good reason.

33. 08-11-2012 11:27 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by bherman13 View Post
      Was anybody else expecting a tuning company did up their version of an IS300 when they read the title?
      Me too. I was already thinking "oh what awful body kit have they created, added a name and then tripled the price"

Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      08-11-2012 11:46 AM #35
      Meh. Put a 2jz or ls something in it
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast