Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I do not have much knowledge on issues with ALH's. Care to lend a hand :)

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      08-11-2012 12:46 AM #1
      So as it would seem I have convinced another person to come over to the dark side And they are looking at a 2001 Jetta Diesel 5spd.

Don't know which trans code yet? Judging by this site;

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/TransRatios.html

It may only be two codes in the Mk4 TDI?

EBJ,EGR 3.778 2.118 1.360 0.971 0.756 3.389 TDI Beetle, Golf/Jetta IV

DQY 3.778 2.118 1.360 0.971 0.756 3.389 TDI Beetle, Golf/Jetta IV

I cannot recall correctly if this car has the flywheel or clutch to look out for with blowing apart or something? I will hopefully be test driving the car tomorrow and getting a better look at everything. Anything you can give me a heads up on what to look out for ?

thanks guys.

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      08-11-2012 11:48 AM #2
      I've not heard of any flywheel issues or anything on the ALH cars. We have a '99.5 manual set-up swapped into our '01 with 215k+ on it and running strong. We, of course, replaced the clutch and flywheel when we swapped it but it was running before we bought the swap. The manuals in the Mk4 cars are pretty darn sturdy, TDI or not.

These are pretty great cars and engines. How many miles on it? Oil type and intervals is important. Needs to be a synth oil with the correct VW spec. Interval is 10k. Timing belt is of course also very important. In '01, there was a change interval of 60k on the belt on the manual cars. 40k for autos. Our car was an auto at 114k when we got it with a dead trans. Belt appeared original

There is a 100k belt kit out now, but depending on when the belt was last done, it could be a 60k or 80k belt. So that's important to know.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 190k, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 138k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 159k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      08-11-2012 01:20 PM #3
      Ahh an ALH expert, Thanks for the reply.

I do not know the mileage yet, I do know the guy said the oil was changed every 10k, I hope with the right stuff.. These are not the PD motors with cam lobe wear issues, or did ALH have cam issues without proper oil as well?

Here is the scary part about the timing belt, It's been 90k since it was last changed.. I don't know if the water pump was done with it, and I have no clue if a 100k kit was used for the belt! So its either 10k over or 10k under a change! I have never really read in to an ALH belt change, but I recall the motor mount has to be removed, and then there is the need for Vag Com correct? How long has the 100k kit been available? That should give me a good indicator of what kit was on there if the guy doesn't know.

Again, thank-you for the reply. Should be going to test drive and look at it today. I'll take some pictures

Vehicles
      08-11-2012 03:41 PM #4
      Certainly not an expert! We just picked ours up back in February. But we've spent some time around them. We're just diesel fans all the way around really

No cam wear issues really and the ALH motors are a little less stringent on the oil type, but synth is a must for the turbo. And the right stuff isn't hard to find. Rotella makes an oil - T6 - which works well. Not too expensive either. The great thing about the ALH cars, the oil filter is on top and you just replace the filter element. You can get an oil extractor and never need to jack the car up and get all messy during an oil change! My FIL has an extractor we've borrowed...haven't used it yet but we will soon.

I would definitely plan on the full timing belt job no matter what. Always best to know when and how it was done. Plus it gives you a chance to better look at things and see how well it was cared for. Yes, the motor mount needs to be removed, and you need new bolts for that when you do since they are stretch bolts. Not sure how long the 100k kit has been around, but a lot of places sell it. Any good kit will include all new bolts you need (there are a few others that are stretch bolts), all rollers, tensioner, water pump, etc. Its not a terrible job, though we did the job on ours out of the car. We pulled the whole motor and trans since we were swapping the manual on and needed to do the belt. But its not too hard. If you've done the job on an IDI, you can do a TDI. Need some special tools, just like with an IDI, though not sure if you can really make your own like you can with the IDI. And yes, you do need VAG-COM for IP timing. I suppose you can do it without, but there is no other way to check your timing. Always good to verify, even if nothing moved, especially since you have no clue what its set at now.

You may want to sift through the FAQs on TDIClub. There may be more info on how long the 100k kit has been available.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 190k, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      08-11-2012 04:04 PM #5
      Ah yes I have done plenty of IDI and I have done the belt on and off of my M-tdi AHU about 35 times.. lol Its just those pesky electronics..

Dunno if I'd be doing the job anyway, as I'm sure they'd want a shop to do it over me with no ALH experience.. Honestly I don't want to be the $2000 screw up either that costs them a motor .

I will sift through the mounds of TDI information, thank-you. That (come to think of it) probably would have been a better place to post this.. Idiot! lol

Vehicles
      08-11-2012 05:23 PM #6
      Eh, TDIClub can be a bit...harsh sometimes. Its a great resource for sure, but don't feel bad for posting here too. We're all friends here

Make sure that if a shop does the job, that its a shop that knows these VW diesels. I've heard too many horror stories of general shops doing the work and using the Mark and Pray method on these cars...which you really can't do. Or that don't have the right timing tools. Even VW dealers have been known to screw up the job. Honestly, you are probably perfectly capable...even more than most people. You know how careful you need to be with a diesel when it comes to timing, which is the biggest thing. A lot of people don't get that just a little bit off with the timing can lead to big problems.

Vehicles
      6.9L F250
      08-11-2012 05:29 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      There is a 100k belt kit out now, but depending on when the belt was last done, it could be a 60k or 80k belt. So that's important to know.
      You're talking miles right?

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      08-11-2012 05:46 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by burn_your_money View Post
      You're talking miles right?
      160k km belt intervals?

Vehicles
      08-11-2012 06:06 PM #9
      Yes, miles. Sorry.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      08-13-2012 09:45 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v-of-fury View Post
      160k km belt intervals?
      Yup, 160k intervals with the updated kit (Which has been available since '03 as they came stock on those cars)

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit Diesel, 01 Golf TDI
      08-17-2012 01:08 PM #11
      When they speak about the flywheels on the ALH, they're talking about the Dual-Mass Flywheel that came with the cars. Over time, the springs get really weak until they break wreaking mass destruction within the bell housing. When my clutch finally went at 210K, the flywheel bits were starting to pull apart. My main problem in that instance was the throwout bearing was broken.

Most people replace them with single mass flywheels at their change intervals. I used another dual mass from the '99 model year, as it was a lot stronger than the later ones. I liked the lack of vibration, and I don't plan to keep the car 'forever'. That may not be the case, though, as I'm at 260K miles already!

Otherwise, what rockerchick has said is right on the money. OCI at 10K miles with 5w40 synthetic. Timing belts at 160K km with the new 'long life' stuff. I did have to replace my lifters at the last timing belt change, as they were starting to get kinda noisy.
      2001 Golf TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
      http://matt_lisa.home.sprynet.com/