Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2012 TDI: Spongy Brakes

Vehicles
      2012 Touareg TDI Lux, 2011 MINI Countryman S, 2003 Volvo XC90 2.5
      08-11-2012 12:00 PM #1
      Just a couple quick questions;

I'm taking my car in next week to have a couple of cosmetic items addressed (scratched window from inept removal of window sticker and some lockbox scratches). I was driving in heavy traffic yesterday and really not liking the brake feel. Edmunds mentions spongy brakes in their review, so I don't want to be picky. Pedal travel seems really long and not linear.

Anyone have anything to offer in this regard?

Oh, and also; how can I tell if I have the latest nav update?

TIA
      Last edited by A4-A6-A4-A3; 08-11-2012 at 12:02 PM.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Touareg TDI with Nav., 2008 Porsche C2S, 2003 M-B E320
      08-11-2012 01:47 PM #2
      I have also observed the spongy brakes and, in my opinion, long stopping distance. This is my first SUV and the vehicle does weight about 5000 lbs. but, still, I believe VW chose brake pads that will keep the wheels clean rather than the metallic pads that work better but leave your wheels turning black.

Vehicles
      08-11-2012 02:30 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by VW/Porsche Fahrer View Post
      I have also observed the spongy brakes and, in my opinion, long stopping distance. This is my first SUV and the vehicle does weight about 5000 lbs. but, still, I believe VW chose brake pads that will keep the wheels clean rather than the metallic pads that work better but leave your wheels turning black.
      Thanks for the reply. I'm liking the clean wheels though! Not sure how long the stopping distance is, but it really feels like you're hauling down 5000 lbs! Our Volvo XC90 has about the same travel/feel.

I launch myself through the windshield of my wife's MINI now. Talk about brake dust.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Touareg TDI Executive, 2008 BMW E92 M3, 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4X4 and 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
      08-12-2012 11:02 AM #4
      I also was surprised at the spongy brakes on my Touareg when I first drove it home but now after a few thousand miles, they are much better. Certainly nothing like my M3, but not bad for a 5,000 SUV. While a real nitpick, the brake pedal in relationship to the accelerator is a tad high. While I have gotten use to it, I would prefer to not have to lift my foot quite as high to get on top of the brake pedal.

Vehicles
      08-12-2012 07:05 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Tenere View Post
      I also was surprised at the spongy brakes on my Touareg when I first drove it home but now after a few thousand miles, they are much better. Certainly nothing like my M3, but not bad for a 5,000 SUV. While a real nitpick, the brake pedal in relationship to the accelerator is a tad high. While I have gotten use to it, I would prefer to not have to lift my foot quite as high to get on top of the brake pedal.
      Thanks for the feedback. I guess it'll take some time to get used to the loooong throw. The thing I find disconcerting, and I'm struggling to explain, is that you don't always get the same amount of braking for the same amount of pedal movement. Not as linear as I would like I guess. But it's been a long time since I drove such a big car as my primary transport.

Vehicles
      2012 Touareg Lux TDI
      08-14-2012 09:48 AM #6
      I noticed a spongy feel when brand new. Then it seemed to start getting better. Now have 3300 miles on it and the brakes feel fine.

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      08-14-2012 07:55 PM #7
      9.5k miles - no noticeable issues or concern (not even from the wife and she would be the first to ) - it is a tank so I'm not expecting stop on a dime ability.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 12 TR Golf R (about to be traded for a Wrangler), 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      08-15-2012 07:23 AM #8
      We have 2 2011 Touaregs we purchased new and have not experienced this at all on either of them. If you want to experience bad brakes, try stopping a Routan with a full load of passengers.... that requires a VERY long distance. In fact, I traded my Routan for the Touareg because of the excellent braking in the Touareg, even when loaded with passengers. While nothing will "stop on a dime" we find that the Touareg comes close.

Vehicles
      08-15-2012 11:34 AM #9
      Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond!

I'm heading to the dealer today for the other work. Probably have them check things out. Seems fine the last couple of days, but I did get a bit concerned in traffic last week: maybe low vacuum due to stop and go made the pedal go limp. We'll see.