Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Families at Restaurants, Hotels, Places of Business

08-18-2012 02:06 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjunkie View Post
      Nobody else has mentioned this, but I think it's important to expose children to various social situations, with expectations that they will behave a certain way in those environments. If you don't allow the children to ever be in those situations to begin with, how will they learn what behavior is acceptable?
      Yes. How will people ever learn what behavior is acceptable...

This is actually the best medium for such a topic. Obviously, most ppl feel very strongly about their kids and only a fool or drunk would openly tell a someone to control their kids because parents are never wrong, espeically in public. Highligting a problem to someone in public seldom works; parenting or otherwise.
      "It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

2. Member
      08-18-2012 09:43 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      Obviously, most ppl feel very strongly about their kids and only a fool or drunk would openly tell a someone to control their kids because parents are never wrong, espeically in public.
      This is true. Before someone says anything to a parent, I hope they have prepared for a confrontation or to look like a jerk. It will only go one of those two ways and maybe it's better just to suck it up or remove yourself from the situation.

08-18-2012 10:41 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      This is true. Before someone says anything to a parent, I hope they have prepared for a confrontation or to look like a jerk. It will only go one of those two ways and maybe it's better just to suck it up or remove yourself from the situation.
      That said, it doesnt negate any of my actual points. No one needs to remove themselves of any situation or say anything when people make jerks of themselves of public.
      "It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

08-19-2012 01:41 AM #29
      If you have kids stay the fck home !

Nobody cares your managed to procreate .

Especially when they do anything but breath and even then I find that a bit annoying also.

Vehicles
      2012 Mitsu Evo GSR (his), 2003 PT GT (mine), 2012 Odyssey (ours
      08-19-2012 09:08 AM #30
      I dont think this is anything new. "Children should be seen and not heard."

I think theres a fine balance between the general public shouldnt have to deal with your loud kid and you shouldnt have to entirely rearrange your lifestyle just because you had a kid. Thats a good way to ensure a) only people who dont give any kind of **** have kids and b) your kid will hit a certain age when theyre expected to be cool calm and collected in public yet have no experience on how to do so.

My son is 8 weeks now. Im having lunch with a friend at the mall because, well, thats the loudest place I can think of to have lunch.

6. 08-19-2012 12:50 PM #31
      There are kids free establishments you can frequent if you wish to avoid kids.

08-21-2012 09:00 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by sakigt View Post
      I dont think this is anything new. "Children should be seen and not heard."

I think theres a fine balance between the general public shouldnt have to deal with your loud kid and you shouldnt have to entirely rearrange your lifestyle just because you had a kid. Thats a good way to ensure a) only people who dont give any kind of **** have kids and b) your kid will hit a certain age when theyre expected to be cool calm and collected in public yet have no experience on how to do so.

My son is 8 weeks now. Im having lunch with a friend at the mall because, well, thats the loudest place I can think of to have lunch.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      08-21-2012 04:20 PM #33
      Just got back from a cross country and back trip with our 8 month old. 5:40 and 6:10 flights. Got a bit fussy at times but nothing major. Slept during descent both times so we didn't have any issues.

Now landing on the way back from a short trip to San Diego at around 5 months he went ballistic and was inconsolable. Few people looking annoyed, which ya I can imagine, but there's just nothing you can do about it. It isn't like any parent wants to see their kid in that much pain, believe me if I could stop it I would. When we landed and he was back to all smiles the older folks made a point to rather loudly say that it was okay, we were all babies once, and that they felt bad for him. Most of those annoyed looked like their early 20s, which I would have been to at that point. Now though when someone elses baby is crying it doesn't bother me because I understand.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

9. Member
      08-21-2012 05:00 PM #34
      Meh, I don't give a **** about that stuff. You do your best and that's all you can do. It would be one thing if you weren't trying to soothe them, but you did what you could.

In general, there are always going to be annoyed, rude people no matter what and it's not our job as parents to care about them.
      Last edited by Papa Dras; 08-21-2012 at 05:10 PM.

10. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      08-22-2012 08:52 AM #35
      In general, there are always going to be annoyed, rude people no matter what and it's not our job as parents to care about them.

Vehicles
      mk2 vr, mk4 vr
      08-23-2012 10:03 PM #36
      OP is a troll
      he doesn't even have kids but comes to the parenting forum to tell us how to raise our kids, LOL

he's more passive aggressive than most females

sorry OP but children are everywhere, and they don't always act perfect (news flash)
      I take great care to make sure my 4 and 8 y.o. act civilized whilst in public/in restaurants, but sometimes kids fuss & cry, that's life, deal with it. and get over yourself. you sound like a whiney baby yourself

and until you have kids, don't tell others how to parent!!!!

12. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      08-24-2012 12:48 PM #37
      It depends on the place, I went to Rainforest Cafe and there were kids just walking around and making noises. I wouldn't take a date there and I did expect the place to be noisy and kid friendly.

As for places like Red Lobsters or TGIs there should be seating arrangements for families to be seated in places that are more tolerant to kids being kids. And have the couples and single folks seated away.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      08-24-2012 02:43 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      It depends on the place, I went to Rainforest Cafe and there were kids just walking around and making noises. I wouldn't take a date there and I did expect the place to be noisy and kid friendly.

As for places like Red Lobsters or TGIs there should be seating arrangements for families to be seated in places that are more tolerant to kids being kids. And have the couples and single folks seated away.
      If TGI Friday and Red Lobster are your idea of a place to take a date I feel sorry for her and you should be embarrassed unless you are 16 or live in ND where it is the only restaurant for 50 miles. Those and the rest of them are ****ty family restaurants, diner beware. One of the first meals we went to with the baby was Cheesecake Factory, we chose it because it was easy to take a kid to. Afterwards we commented to a friend that we got put into the family section to which they replied 'is there another section of the Cheesecake Factory?'. Exactly.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      08-24-2012 07:30 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Afterwards we commented to a friend that we got put into the family section to which they replied 'is there another section of the Cheesecake Factory?'. Exactly.
      Yeah there is... it's called the old people section.

08-27-2012 11:32 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Are you for-real?

Red Lobster, TGI Friday, Chilies, Ruby Tuesday's, Crapplebees, Carabbas, Outback, LoneStar, I could go on and on - these are FAMILY chain restuarants that are rather loud and quite kid-friendly. Everyplace is the family section but the stools at the bar. If you go into a red lobster or a tgi fridays expecting some kind of intimate dining experience - you're insane.

16. 08-27-2012 05:05 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      Are you for-real?

Red Lobster, TGI Friday, Chilies, Ruby Tuesday's, Crapplebees, Carabbas, Outback, LoneStar, I could go on and on - these are FAMILY chain restuarants that are rather loud and quite kid-friendly. Everyplace is the family section but the stools at the bar. If you go into a red lobster or a tgi fridays expecting some kind of intimate dining experience - you're insane.
      I think it is a good way to find out if your date likes children or not.

17. Member
      08-27-2012 05:59 PM #42
      Better yet is Red Robin- where some kid is getting happy birthday sung to them every 5 minutes.

08-27-2012 06:00 PM #43
      Better yet is Red Robin- where some kid is getting happy birthday sung to them every 5 minutes.
      hahaha. Gawd, waitress - could you ask that table with the kids to tone it down?

Vehicles
      mk2 vr, mk4 vr
      08-28-2012 04:41 PM #44
      I think everybody should have quiet well behaved children
      if not then you are a crappy parent and should never be seen in public with your unruly croth fruits because it may inconvenice the non-breeders

08-29-2012 12:12 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by mkII_short_dub View Post
      if not then you are a crappy parent and should never be seen in public with your unruly croth fruits because it may inconvenice the non-breeders
      Crotch Fruits

21. 08-30-2012 10:48 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Now landing on the way back from a short trip to San Diego at around 5 months he went ballistic and was inconsolable. Few people looking annoyed, which ya I can imagine, but there's just nothing you can do about it. It isn't like any parent wants to see their kid in that much pain, believe me if I could stop it I would. When we landed and he was back to all smiles the older folks made a point to rather loudly say that it was okay, we were all babies once, and that they felt bad for him. Most of those annoyed looked like their early 20s, which I would have been to at that point. Now though when someone elses baby is crying it doesn't bother me because I understand.
      You didn't have to fly. You imposed your kid on others. There's no doubt in my mind that you never thought about other people's comfort but your own.

22. 08-30-2012 10:52 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by mkII_short_dub View Post
      It inconveniences everyone, not just those who choose not to have children. I have kids. They're either well behaved or they're outside. We flew when the kid's old enough to behave on a flight. We haven't flown with the newborn because she's only 8 months old. Don't try to justify your inconsideration by saying it's only bothersome to people without kids. I have kids and I don't want to hear your brats cry.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      08-31-2012 01:25 AM #48
      That's true. We didn't fly with the girls until they were five and three. It didn't stop me from flying to Hawaii by myself for a vacation.
      Last edited by titleist1976; 08-31-2012 at 01:27 AM.

08-31-2012 05:41 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by TT for me View Post
      You didn't have to fly. You imposed your kid on others. There's no doubt in my mind that you never thought about other people's comfort but your own.
      Most decently responsible parents are always concerned about the noise their kid makes - and it always seems louder to the parent than it does to others, imo. If some jackass brings their kid on a flight with no plan, food, or toys to keep attention - certainly I can see being upset if they're crying for 3 hours...but generally babies cry at takeoff and landing for a very short period of time.

As for not "having" to fly - get real. If you live cross-continent or ocean from your family, I guess you should never see them, or if someone dies you should just say - whelp, little johnny's a baby, can't go to the funeral.

25. 08-31-2012 10:20 AM #50
      The people whining about noisy children are bigger babies than the whiney children. Get over it. You can't handle dealing with society, stay in your mothers basement and eat the jello she made you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast