Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Test a MAF? Where and what to look for? help please..

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      02 VW Jetta 24v 2.8L VR6
      08-11-2012 05:58 PM #1
      So I drive a 2002 Jetta vr6 24v w/ 210k on it. Having crazy electrical problems right now and live ina state that inspects. I myself am a state inspector but cant pass my car with a check engine light on so im kind of effed right now and need to figure this out before next month.

My problem: Have a check engine light on for P0101(Mass Air Sensor low input signal or somethin close to that) and a P1165 (Long term fuel trim bank 1 rich limit exceeded)

What I've done recently : Replaced MAF sensor (aftermarket, YUCK i know) and changed air filter.

I dont visually see any intake leaks and sprayed it down with carb cleaner and havent heard a change in idle so i think im okay on intake leaks. Intermitenly, the traction conrol and EPC light will come on, not always at the same time and it happens at random times, never in a pattern or sequence. Ive also noticed on the inside of the MAF connector/plug it appears to be missing some pieces of plastic like they cracked off somewhere. This is why....

I wanna start tracing wires and checking voltage and currency but I dont have specs and cant find any on alldata either. Anyone know the measurements and areas to check at (physically on the car). Im so stuck fellas and just need a lil bump i the right direction.

I had a problem with my cooling fan/AC circuit last year where inside the connector went bad near the battery fuse box and tested everything forever to find it was all just that plug/connector. Replaced it and havent had a probem since. This makes me wonder whether the MAF connector/plug could be the same way.

Thank you for any help

Vehicles
      2001 Gti VR6
      08-11-2012 07:03 PM #2
      When I sucked up moisture through my intake my then epc, traction, abs lights also came n until it dried up, I didn't hydrolock but it stalled. The same thing also happened when I had a loose battery connector. Hope that helps
      You can get a smooth, quiet, floaty car and fall asleep waiting to get from point A to B, or enjoy getting there.
      To be good at racing, you have to change your name to Sebastien.