Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Results 101 to 125 of 960

    Thread: Chronicles of a track TT

    1. Member 18T_BT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2005
      Location
      Silver Spring, MD
      Posts
      11,109
      Vehicles
      02 1.8T JETTA (SOLD) & 00 TTQ (SOLD) '90 C2 964 (CURRENT)
      10-05-2012 03:19 PM #101
      Oh how good it is to hear from you Adam. I am not sure how I was flaming. I remember seeing a dyno. I don't remember all the details behind it. Good luck to you and Leah...later

    2. 10-23-2012 11:32 PM #102
      In my quest to put the car on a diet, I did a few free things today (the bulk of the weight is going to come down with swapping to lighter seats):

      I converted to a manually operating convertible top. The delete is legal in SCCA street prepared under update/backdate. Since the 180 TT roadster convertible is manually operated, I can backdate to it since they are part of the same model line.




      While I have all 3 back panels removed I went ahead and deleted the CD changer, rear speakers, woofer and brackets.








      As far as weight removed, it's not as much as I'd hope for... but I'll take anything I can get (especially when it free) . Total of 34.7 lbs that I no longer have to accelerate, stop, and make change direction on my poor tires. Next is the radio, front speakers, and finally the seats that will also serve a purpose beside weight removal.
      Last edited by Marcus_Aurelius; 10-24-2012 at 12:20 AM.
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    3. Member Imola_TT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2011
      Location
      Minneapolis, Chicago, or on the road between.
      Posts
      151
      Vehicles
      2005 TT Roadster 225Q
      10-24-2012 02:36 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      I converted to a manually operating convertible top. The delete is legal in SCCA street prepared under update/backdate. Since the 180 TT roadster convertible is manually operated, I can backdate to it since they are part of the same model line.
      Some '01 225 roadsters came with factory manual top too.
      I had one; leased it brand new, way back when.
      I could drop that top in a fraction of the time it takes my '05 "power" top move the same distance.
      Kinda miss that
      ~~~~~~~~~~~
      Occasionally known as TTopless

    4. 10-24-2012 01:56 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Imola_TT View Post
      Some '01 225 roadsters came with factory manual top too.
      I had one; leased it brand new, way back when.
      I could drop that top in a fraction of the time it takes my '05 "power" top move the same distance.
      Kinda miss that
      Thanks for the info! I thought all 225 came with the motorized setup, now I don't even have prove same line backdate legality since it's basically an "option".

      Yeah, I don't miss the motorized thing because the manual operation is a breeze. The only question I have, is if the true manually operated ones had something to lock the top down when retracted. With the hydraulic setup the pressure in the struts kept it from bouncing if you hit a big bump. It's not a big deal but just wondering...
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    5. Member 01ttgt28's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2009
      Location
      dartmouth ma
      Posts
      1,398
      Vehicles
      audi tt gt3076r 01 aston martin db7 04 land rover disco 99rolls royce seraph
      10-24-2012 08:06 PM #105
      Have u ripped all the insulation of the door panels and carpet ???
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-done-I-guess
      ^^^Big Turbo build lots of pics^^^
      Best shop for repair and custom workin ma
      http://www.wentworthmotorsports.com/

    6. Member Imola_TT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2011
      Location
      Minneapolis, Chicago, or on the road between.
      Posts
      151
      Vehicles
      2005 TT Roadster 225Q
      10-24-2012 08:08 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      Thanks for the info! I thought all 225 came with the motorized setup, now I don't even have prove same line backdate legality since it's basically an "option".

      Yeah, I don't miss the motorized thing because the manual operation is a breeze. The only question I have, is if the true manually operated ones had something to lock the top down when retracted. With the hydraulic setup the pressure in the struts kept it from bouncing if you hit a big bump. It's not a big deal but just wondering...
      I don't remember anything locking the top in place...unless the boot was installed...which was...once.
      But I also don't recall the downed top bouncing; though if I hit a big enough bump to bounce the top, I was probably concerned with other things in that split second, like continuing in the direction intended

      The manual may have been built slightly differently; I don't know enough about it technically to know the difference. There's got to be still be some manual-top roadsters out there in the world. If you run across an '01 amulet red that was originally registered in Illinois...that was likely mine. I'd love to hear she went to a good home.
      Cheers!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~
      Occasionally known as TTopless

    7. Member 01ttgt28's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2009
      Location
      dartmouth ma
      Posts
      1,398
      Vehicles
      audi tt gt3076r 01 aston martin db7 04 land rover disco 99rolls royce seraph
      10-24-2012 08:08 PM #107
      Also if u rip of the panel behind the drivers door theirs a good size block of insulation just
      Placed in a hole its kinda weird
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-done-I-guess
      ^^^Big Turbo build lots of pics^^^
      Best shop for repair and custom workin ma
      http://www.wentworthmotorsports.com/

    8. Member 01ttgt28's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2009
      Location
      dartmouth ma
      Posts
      1,398
      Vehicles
      audi tt gt3076r 01 aston martin db7 04 land rover disco 99rolls royce seraph
      10-24-2012 08:12 PM #108
      Can u remove air bags driver passanger and all the brackets and screws?
      I lost a lot of weight with the air bags and steering wheel :
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-done-I-guess
      ^^^Big Turbo build lots of pics^^^
      Best shop for repair and custom workin ma
      http://www.wentworthmotorsports.com/

    9. 10-25-2012 12:52 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by 01ttgt28 View Post
      Can u remove air bags driver passanger and all the brackets and screws?
      I lost a lot of weight with the air bags and steering wheel :
      I will pull the door cards this weekend and remove everything that's freeloading (insulation, unnecessary bracket etc.). The carpet has to remain per SCCA rules and I'm not ready to tackle the PITA hard floor insulation. The driver's airbags will be removed but will keep the passenger side airbag for various reasons (I often take people on joy rides and want them to have the best protection if something happens). My goal is to get the car to 3000 lbs or less without major surgery, A/C and crash bars are off the table for me at this point, so it's not the easiest thing for me to drop major weight. If I can get the weight/power ratio to 8.5 I'll be a happy camper.
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2011
      Location
      Charlotte NC
      Posts
      413
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      10-25-2012 08:18 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      My goal is to get the car to 3000 lbs or less without major surgery, A/C and crash bars are off the table for me at this point, so it's not the easiest thing for me to drop major weight. If I can get the weight/power ratio to 8.5 I'll be a happy camper.
      Have you removed the 15kg ballast weight at the left rear? You must have; I guess it's common knowledge with the TT experts, but I just heard about it and was really surprised that Audi did something like that. An attempt to increase polar moment of inertia and "stabilize" the car like the rest of the recall fixes?

    11. 10-25-2012 09:41 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post
      Have you removed the 15kg ballast weight at the left rear? You must have; I guess it's common knowledge with the TT experts, but I just heard about it and was really surprised that Audi did something like that. An attempt to increase polar moment of inertia and "stabilize" the car like the rest of the recall fixes?
      Yes, the boat anchor has been removed a long time ago!

      To my understanding it wasn't placed there to increase polar weight and affect the dynamic moment of inertia (a move that would increase the tendency to become unstable at speed). I believe the reason for the strategically placed piece, with an awfully weird shape and location, was to cancel harmonic vibration in the chassis. I see it as an effort to make in-cabin experience more refined.
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    12. Member
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2009
      Posts
      4,243
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225 (daily), 01 TT 225 (project) 02 TT 180Q (donor), 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 03 GTI (dead)
      10-25-2012 10:02 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      Yes, the boat anchor has been removed a long time ago!

      To my understanding it wasn't placed there to increase polar weight and affect the dynamic moment of inertia (a move that would increase the tendency to become unstable at speed). I believe the reason for the strategically placed piece, with an awfully weird shape and location, was to cancel harmonic vibration in the chassis. I see it as an effort to make in-cabin experience more refined.
      Yeah, but where is the resultant harmonic vibration when you remove it? If anything, it would decrease understeer gradient, aka make you more likely to spin, so completely AGAINST the point of the spoiler/control arm recall.

    13. Member DeckManDubs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      11,812
      Vehicles
      First world problems
      10-25-2012 10:30 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v master View Post
      Yeah, but where is the resultant harmonic vibration when you remove it? If anything, it would decrease understeer gradient, aka make you more likely to spin, so completely AGAINST the point of the spoiler/control arm recall.
      More likely to spin with it removed. Having a large cast mass like that at a far point from the engine can help isolate engine vibration waves that are translated through the body of the the car.

      With it there, you would think it would act like an old 911, but the thing about having some extra rear weight with stiff springs is it can keep the back tires from bouncing. My Corrado does this to a terrifying level if you do not know how to keep the car on the road.

      Now freeing up the back end is great providing that is what you want with more lift/oversteer. I got a nasty little surprise when I tossed my street tires back on Was great once I got use to it again. For a novice driver it would only mean disaster.
      -Noah
      Corrado - Burns money faster than hookers and blow | 911 Turbo - Hates noise ordnance's, fuel and tires in that order | TT - Colorless Wonder with a C16 habit

    14. 10-25-2012 10:31 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v master View Post
      Yeah, but where is the resultant harmonic vibration when you remove it?
      I have no idea! That would be more of a question for you, or Charlie, or Noah... all I know is that harmonic vibration dampening is out the window in my car with the solid mounts

      Quote Originally Posted by 20v master View Post
      If anything, it would decrease understeer gradient, aka make you more likely to spin, so completely AGAINST the point of the spoiler/control arm recall.
      Yes, I agree... but so insignificant in the grand scheme of thing when it comes to understeer gradient, that it became an acceptable compromise to increase in-cabin refinement. Think of it as running with or without a spare tire, it has such marginal effect to overall balance that it's negligible at best. At least that's how I see it, but who knows what good German stuff they were smoking that day

      PS: You weren't kidding, 034 really sucks!
      Last edited by Marcus_Aurelius; 10-25-2012 at 10:39 AM.
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    15. 10-25-2012 10:55 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by DeckManDubs View Post
      More likely to spin with it removed. Having a large cast mass like that at a far point from the engine can help isolate engine vibration waves that are translated through the body of the the car.

      With it there, you would think it would act like an old 911, but the thing about having some extra rear weight with stiff springs is it can keep the back tires from bouncing. My Corrado does this to a terrifying level if you do not know how to keep the car on the road.

      Now freeing up the back end is great providing that is what you want with more lift/oversteer. I got a nasty little surprise when I tossed my street tires back on Was great once I got use to it again. For a novice driver it would only mean disaster.
      I think their logic when facing the lawsuits was (with a German accent):

      I can't increase rear mechanical grip --> I will increase rear aero grip with a small wing without creating too much drag --> I will also force the ungrateful bastards to understeer now with watered down control arms and have have electronics keep an eye them --> while I'm at it, I'll fix the harmonic vibrations that I screwed up and got lectured for by the boss (nobody will notice).
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    16. Member
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2009
      Posts
      4,243
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225 (daily), 01 TT 225 (project) 02 TT 180Q (donor), 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 03 GTI (dead)
      10-25-2012 12:00 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by DeckManDubs View Post
      but the thing about having some extra rear weight with stiff springs is it can keep the back tires from bouncing.
      Where are these "stiff" OEM springs you mention?

    17. Member DeckManDubs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2004
      Location
      W.Mass
      Posts
      11,812
      Vehicles
      First world problems
      10-25-2012 12:39 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      I think their logic when facing the lawsuits was (with a German accent):

      I can't increase rear mechanical grip --> I will increase rear aero grip with a small wing without creating too much drag --> I will also force the ungrateful bastards to understeer now with watered down control arms and have have electronics keep an eye them --> while I'm at it, I'll fix the harmonic vibrations that I screwed up and got lectured for by the boss (nobody will notice).
      No harmonic issues if they used a VR6..."Hey Hans, pull that 3.6 VR6 out of there and put this more powerful never lose 1.8T in that TT prototype. The boss is still pissed that they sucked so much in the B5 chassis."

      "Well the only way to make a 1.8t feel powerful is if we ditch the superior Quattro and make it FWD...I got it, we will use a clutched AWD, that is really FWD"




      Quote Originally Posted by 20v master View Post
      Where are these "stiff" OEM springs you mention?
      lol, well stiff compared to older Audi's. Weak sauce compared to H&R's and the aftermarkets/even the more modern OEM stuff.
      -Noah
      Corrado - Burns money faster than hookers and blow | 911 Turbo - Hates noise ordnance's, fuel and tires in that order | TT - Colorless Wonder with a C16 habit

    18. 10-25-2012 01:42 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by DeckManDubs View Post

      lol, well stiff compared to older Audi's. Weak sauce compared to H&R's and the aftermarkets/even the more modern OEM stuff.

      I'm with Adam here, the TT OEM spring rates are super soft... and I wouldn't say they are stiffer than older Audis (at least in the rear). With a much lower than a 1:1 rear motion ratio, the effective rear rates from the factory are pathetic, even in Audi's standards.
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    19. 11-25-2012 12:35 PM #119
      New clutch ready to go in the car! I've been putting this off for too long, and this has been prohibiting me from hitting the dyno. I had a custom Kevlar one made before but somebody wanted it more than I did so that one is gone. The new one is with 50% uprated clamping load on the pressure plate. Full face cera-metalic disc (as much as I like the feel of Kevlar, I was advised by THE clutch expert to not use Kevlar on a dual mass setup). And to complete the setup, I made the decision to go dual mass flywheel. For the use I have, all the benefits in transmission and engine longevity forced me to go that route. Yes, it would be nice to cut some weight and have an engine that revs more freely, but the cons are not worth it IMO.





      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    20. 12-03-2012 11:55 PM #120
      One of my TT winter projects was to make the steering sharper! Jumping from an evo to a TT is quite a numbing sensation, and I always knew that something drastic needed to be done to rectify the situation. My idea of a solid Delrin forward control arm bushing, which was considered, developped, and manufactured by Mike at MCPI, was my first attempt. This helped with "waking-up" the steering feel by removing the slop from unnecessary deflection, but still was not sharp enough to satisfy my thirst for steering sharpness . Since we already have the quickest ratio on the platform, there wasn't anything to do there that would be SCCA SP compliant. The only move left, that would make a dramatic improvement, was to go the old school way with a smaller diameter steering wheel.

      The mechanics behind it, is that a shorter arc or distance is needed to cover the same angle of steering rotation. In other words, the same movement with your hands (steering input), equals a greater/faster change in direction. The effect is a much sharper and responsive steering at the expense of some leverage (the larger wheels require less efforts to make the tire move the same amount). Since we already have what feels to me like an over-assisted power steering, this will not be an issue and provide better feedback as a byproduct. I loved how a 330 mm steering wheel felt in the EVOs, but the TT needed more so I went with 310 mm. I was looking at an OMP with flat bottom, but a nice Sparco in the right diameter conveniently popped in the classifieds and I jumped on it! Black suede, with cut-off top and flat bottom, also never used made it a perfect candidate for the Job (I prefer alcantara but will be using gloves, so it should last pretty well).

      Driving feel is much improved, turn-in doesn't feel like a TT anymore, and I love it! The car follow orders now... instead of thinking about what you're asking it to do. The cluster isn't cut off badly at my sitting position, you loose a small part of the temp and fuel gauge but they are both still visible.

      Comparison with the stock wheel




      View from my sitting position




      Random shot

      Last edited by Marcus_Aurelius; 09-06-2013 at 08:08 AM.
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    21. Member Late__Apex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2007
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      589
      Vehicles
      2005 TT 3.2 Roadster
      12-04-2012 03:55 PM #121
      I like it. Now, all you need is a "Fast & Furious" style 500hp nitrous blast for those buttons, lol.

      P.S. What's the make & part number on the hub adapter? I've always been hesitant because I could not find a direct-fit part
      Last edited by Late__Apex; 12-04-2012 at 03:58 PM.

    22. 12-04-2012 05:32 PM #122
      Nice thread...keep it up Max!
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      If you're going to come like this, why don't you come correct? I think you mean Samuel Langhorne Clemens. What's next, you want the work cited to be mentioned as well, on a car forum sig in quotation? How about you fail me professor

    23. 12-04-2012 09:59 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Late__Apex View Post
      I like it. Now, all you need is a "Fast & Furious" style 500hp nitrous blast for those buttons, lol.
      Steve, I was thinking "HPDE instructor ejecting seat button"! They'd come in handy next time they tell the wife it's too much car for her and to take it up gradually at a slow pace.

      Seriously though, if they stay they would be horn buttons, although I'm considering removing those as well.

      Quote Originally Posted by Late__Apex View Post
      P.S. What's the make & part number on the hub adapter? I've always been hesitant because I could not find a direct-fit part
      Sparco part number is: 01502074CA and fits several other models as well. My wheel was purchased with the adapter but here is a link to the correct hub.
      http://www.ogracing.com/sparco-steer...tt-porsche-997
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    24. 12-04-2012 10:04 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      Nice thread...keep it up Max!
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension Products and Madmax DV kit

    25. Member 01ttgt28's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2009
      Location
      dartmouth ma
      Posts
      1,398
      Vehicles
      audi tt gt3076r 01 aston martin db7 04 land rover disco 99rolls royce seraph
      12-04-2012 10:14 PM #125
      Changing that wheel must of been a big weight savings did u weight them ???
      Just to see how many lbs you saved ??
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-done-I-guess
      ^^^Big Turbo build lots of pics^^^
      Best shop for repair and custom workin ma
      http://www.wentworthmotorsports.com/

    Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •