Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 11 of 11

    Thread: Tire size

    1. Member T.Pego's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 29th, 2005
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      10,368
      Vehicles
      '02 Passat (FOR SALE!) | '12 El Antra | '12 Cannondale | '09 Rollerblade | '84 Chevrolegs |
      08-11-2012 09:21 PM #1
      Just bought a 2002 and it needs tires. Found a set of 16" classix on a 2008 rabbit with 225/45 tires. Would these fit my passat?

      Sent from the mobile interwebz using my calling device

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 4th, 2012
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      348
      Vehicles
      03 Passat AWM, previous B4 Passat, previous Mk3 GTI
      08-11-2012 10:57 PM #2
      Depends on if the bolt pattern is the same...

      The B5 and the B5.5 Passats bolt patterns are usually 5x112 if I'm not mistaking.

      I'm not entirely sure on the 08 Rabbit. I'd gather it's going to be different.

    3. Member uNLeaSHeD.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 28th, 2010
      Location
      A Ditch in Wisconsin
      Posts
      1,146
      Vehicles
      Bagged B5.5, MKV Jetta
      08-11-2012 11:04 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by T.Pego View Post
      Just bought a 2002 and it needs tires. Found a set of 16" classix on a 2008 rabbit with 225/45 tires. Would these fit my passat?

      Sent from the mobile interwebz using my calling device
      Yea they should, 225 is the width which sounds right, but 16s with 45 series tires might look a little small and funny looking make wheel gap look bigger then it already is but idk I have 18in wheels with 40 series on mine.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 4th, 2012
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      348
      Vehicles
      03 Passat AWM, previous B4 Passat, previous Mk3 GTI
      08-12-2012 06:19 PM #4
      Opps my bad. I was thinking you found wheels, not tires haha. Sorry.

      But yes 225's do fit 16 inch wheels. Looks funky but it works

    5. Member T.Pego's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 29th, 2005
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      10,368
      Vehicles
      '02 Passat (FOR SALE!) | '12 El Antra | '12 Cannondale | '09 Rollerblade | '84 Chevrolegs |
      08-13-2012 10:37 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by IanInOhio View Post
      Depends on if the bolt pattern is the same...

      The B5 and the B5.5 Passats bolt patterns are usually 5x112 if I'm not mistaking.

      I'm not entirely sure on the 08 Rabbit. I'd gather it's going to be different.
      it is the same bolt pattern.

      Quote Originally Posted by uNLeaSHeD. View Post
      Yea they should, 225 is the width which sounds right, but 16s with 45 series tires might look a little small and funny looking make wheel gap look bigger then it already is but idk I have 18in wheels with 40 series on mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by IanInOhio View Post
      Opps my bad. I was thinking you found wheels, not tires haha. Sorry.

      But yes 225's do fit 16 inch wheels. Looks funky but it works
      yea... thats what i was wondering, if the tires would be/look too small...

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2001
      Posts
      222
      Vehicles
      01.5 A6 2.7T 6sp sport, 03 Passat wgn 2.8 5sp
      08-13-2012 12:05 PM #6
      Are you talking about wheels with tires on them - and are you sure they're not 17" classix which was the standard wheel that came on 2006 GTIs and had 225/45/17 tires - those will fit on a 2002 Passat - although the offset is a little low meaning there could be rubbing issues on the inside. I have 16" bionlines (07 Jetta) on my 03 Passat with 3mm spacers so I can use the original lug bolts for 30k miles with no issues

    7. Member T.Pego's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 29th, 2005
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      10,368
      Vehicles
      '02 Passat (FOR SALE!) | '12 El Antra | '12 Cannondale | '09 Rollerblade | '84 Chevrolegs |
      08-13-2012 12:35 PM #7
      yea, i mean with wheels and tires. I think you're right, that they're 17s. just looked at the thread again, and he didn't specify, but he's looking to possibly trade for 17s or 18s.

      said thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...25-45-South-NJ

      when you say rubbing issues on the inside because the offset is low.. you mean the inside of the wheel might graze along the brake calipers?

    8. Member E CODE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2005
      Location
      Toronto, Ontario
      Posts
      10,339
      Vehicles
      MK6 GTI 6MT, MK4 Jetta Wolfsburg Lapping Car Project,
      08-13-2012 12:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by irishpaulmc View Post
      Are you talking about wheels with tires on them - and are you sure they're not 17" classix which was the standard wheel that came on 2006 GTIs and had 225/45/17 tires - those will fit on a 2002 Passat - although the offset is a little low meaning there could be rubbing issues on the inside. I have 16" bionlines (07 Jetta) on my 03 Passat with 3mm spacers so I can use the original lug bolts for 30k miles with no issues
      Mk5/6 offsets are usually HIGHER than what we need, which can casue rubbing issues if they are too high, but as you mention, a small spacer will clear it up.

      OP, those wheels will work, either straight up, or with a small spacer...
      VAGKRAFT 2014 registration is OPEN!! | Red Beetle Heritage Wheels for sale | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

    9. Member T.Pego's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 29th, 2005
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      10,368
      Vehicles
      '02 Passat (FOR SALE!) | '12 El Antra | '12 Cannondale | '09 Rollerblade | '84 Chevrolegs |
      08-13-2012 01:18 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by E CODE View Post
      OP, those wheels will work, either straight up, or with a small spacer...
      Positive? Cuz i'd be taking quite a ride to pick them up


      Sent from the mobile interwebz using my calling device

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2001
      Posts
      222
      Vehicles
      01.5 A6 2.7T 6sp sport, 03 Passat wgn 2.8 5sp
      08-13-2012 09:22 PM #10
      Mk5/6 offsets are usually HIGHER than what we need, which can casue rubbing issues if they are too high, but as you mention, a small spacer will clear it up.
      Well I never said what offset was too low - ha ha - the Passat calls for an offset of 37 to 45 ish whereas the MK5s call for 50 to 55 or so - I believe the Classix are a 54 offset so OP I think you would need minimum 8mm spacers which means you will also need new lugs. Over $100 for spacers + lug bolts.

    11. Member T.Pego's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 29th, 2005
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      10,368
      Vehicles
      '02 Passat (FOR SALE!) | '12 El Antra | '12 Cannondale | '09 Rollerblade | '84 Chevrolegs |
      08-14-2012 08:39 AM #11
      thanks for the info. not going with those wheels then.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •