Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Block, head, wiring, charger and a fork.

Vehicles
      Now - 82 Caddy TDI, 94 Jetta 2.0, 91 GLI. Past - 81 1.6d Rabbit, 92 Golf, 86 Jetta, 91 Corrado g60..
      08-12-2012 04:25 AM #1
      Hows it going? Relatively new to g60's, owning my 90 C for about a year now. I've come to the crossroads (ie fork) though and need some help. I'm pretty sure I'll be putting the C up for sale soon, but I'm also going on 3 weeks vacation late sept and if it doesn't sell before then I'll probably keep her. Thing is, the charger, the block/head, the body everything is kinda on the questionable side and it has a salvage title. So if I keep her it will be strictly for fun. I'll rebuild the charger, install coils, learn how to paint a car with her, but the question is, what do I do with the engine?

2.0 heads best for turbo right? 2.0 block with 1.8 head best for a bit more displacement right? Any other benefits? Why not full aba with g charger? Best of both worlds? If went that route, swap to motronic or stay digi? It seems the g60 aba guys are only swapping the block and keeping the head and I can't figure out why...

Sorry for the noob type questions, been searching and reading non-stop but only finding a few hybrid pg/aba set ups. Staying g charger and not going turbo.

Mahalo for your time,
      Charlie

Vehicles
      1982 BMW 320i, 1986 Jetta Carat 1.8/ABA Turbo
      08-13-2012 11:02 PM #2
      If you're going turbo the reasons people leave the PG (G60) bottom end is the fact it has stronger rotating assembly then a 2.0 ABA, and lower compression. You run an ABA head is because the exhaust ports are on the rear and the intake ports on the front. So it opens all kinds of room for a turbocharger and log manifold type intake. You could slip lower compression forged pistons into a OBD1 ABA and have a very boost ready engine.

The Counterflow head, like the PG head has intake and exhaust ports on the rear, so it leaves minimal room for a turbo, and heat soak into the intake is a bit of an issue (ever notice that all turbos glow red after a short wot run)

For the above reasons, you generally can't run a G60 on a ABA head (or at least not very easily) because the charger goes where then intake is. People slip an ABA bottom end under a G60 with a spacer or stacked head gaskets for the extra displacement it brings. A stock ABA bottom end can pretty easily handle the 160-180whp you might make with a G-Lader in place.

Also sell the Corrado and move on, salvage titles are big run away. Or swap the engine into a MK1 or MKII, freshen up the charger, run a 68mm and a stg4 chip. Lots fun in a Rabbit.
      This is my VWvortex signature:
      | Rust | Zip-Ties | JB Weld | Bad Idle | Scrapes Ground | Rubs when Turning | Busted Ass Door handles |
      This is my TCL signature:
      I'm just here to look at pictures and cause trouble.

Vehicles
      Now - 82 Caddy TDI, 94 Jetta 2.0, 91 GLI. Past - 81 1.6d Rabbit, 92 Golf, 86 Jetta, 91 Corrado g60..
      08-14-2012 12:22 AM #3
      Right on, thank you. I get that 100% and most of it was where my logic was taking me but I needed some confirmation. The part that I was mostly trying to figure out was why people don't build ABA's w/g chargers, the figuration of the intake ports as you explained makes sense though. I knew why the turbo worked better for the X-flow head but didn't put 2 & 2 together for the g-ladder for some reason lol. Also I think you're right about just parting ways with the Corrado, I could really use the money right now anyway to finish my caddy 100% instead of getting involved in another project. Basically the C was cheap, I put some money into it but if I get what I bought it for or close to, I'll be happy and the rest is a wash. I knew that going into the car but trust me, there's not much of a pool here in HI of old vw's and I had never owned a Corrado or g60. If it doesn't sell, you're also right about dropping it in a mk1. I'm sure I can make enough parting the C to partially fund another project.

Thanks again,
      Charlie