Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New commuter car possibility (salvage CRX content inside)

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      08-13-2012 03:48 PM #26
      $1500-2000 plus insurance and maintenance buys a lot of paintless dent removal. Personally i don't think a 2010 Mazda 3 is so nice that it warrants a sacrificial beater. Just my opinion.

Vehicles
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      08-13-2012 05:45 PM #27
      Against my advice, a coworker recently bought a certified used 2009 A4 with less than 25,000 miles. She lives in Manhattan and commutes on some of the worst roads in NJ (I-280, RT 1&9, etc). She had a beat up RAV 4 which I told her to keep as the commuter car, but she insisted that she wanted something nice.

It has been less than a month and her rear bumper is trashed with license plate marks and different color paint, scuff marks from her bumper bully, a large dent in the driver's door, 2 wheels that became bent due to a pothole along with 2 flat tires, and last night someone stole the trim pieces to her foglights.

She now wishes she had kept the 10 year old RAV 4 instead of the new $400/mo payment for a car that won't last 2 years at this rate.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

Vehicles
      Five two-seaters, two hatchbacks, and a big ass pickup truck
      08-13-2012 08:56 PM #28
      You guys underestimate the missus. She's my autocross co-driver, and we use her car. She's commuted in the autocross car that has 650 lb front springs and scrapes over speed bumps, has no A/C or power steering, and is covered with stickers. A beater CRX might be considered an upgrade over that.

The car probably won't get stolen out of the driveway. We live on a quiet dead-end street, no worries there.
      Parsimonious Racing - autocrossing Miatas in the Washington DC area and beyond

Vehicles
      26 of them
      08-13-2012 09:00 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by two.twoliter View Post
      If I wanted a cheap old Honda to commute in, I'd be looking for an Accord, not a CRX. I've had both ('90 and '91 Accords, and a '91 CRX Si) and the Accords were much quieter, rode 10x better, had power steering, and generally just a lot more comfortable. Plus, the Accords will be cheap, easy to find, and have a lower theft risk.
      This. I'd get a CB7 Accord over a CRX. My .02.

Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 1963 Mercury Comet, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      08-13-2012 09:05 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
      You guys underestimate the missus. She's my autocross co-driver, and we use her car. She's commuted in the autocross car that has 650 lb front springs and scrapes over speed bumps, has no A/C or power steering, and is covered with stickers. A beater CRX might be considered an upgrade over that.
      Going to quote this so people dont' miss it./ She LIKES autocross cars and apparently likes the thought of driving a race car on the street. A beater, soft Accord would NOT be an acceptable substitute, apparently, and would not be able to be used as a fun autocrosser if they wanted to go that route with the car.

I see saving money on the payments of the newer car and then having a fun commuter/race car for cheap.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

6. 08-13-2012 10:45 PM #31
      As Alan said, I'm not "most" women...

and my boss got a kick out of the car when I crossed paths with her in our previous parking garage.

Vehicles
      2012 RB 4dr R
      08-13-2012 11:30 PM #32
      The wife has joined!!!

If we still lived in SoMD I would ask you to influence my wife to get into anything motorsport.

Vehicles
      Oddie.
      08-14-2012 12:36 AM #33
      Always good to cheap out on your wife's safety.

Vehicles
      1991 Volvo 745 n/a
      08-14-2012 04:19 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      Isn't it her choice as well? You do realize she's in the thread.
      Sold: 86 240 DL 4MT+OD, 00 Protege ES, 87 325e, 93 S-10, 91 CRX Si, 99 Neon ACR, 90 Accord Coupe.

10. 08-14-2012 09:57 PM #35
      I'm more worried about riding the Metro, using the escalators, and crossing streets in DC without getting hit (been there, done that) than I am about the safety of driving the CRX.

And if I was worried, I'd make Claff drive it; I have more life insurance on him than I have on me

As for worries about getting stuck in the winter, that's what the 4 Runner is for (well besides towing the Miata)
      Last edited by Kate in MD; 08-14-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      08-14-2012 10:03 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      A park and ride is not the same as a DC Metro lot. The DC Metro lots are pay to enter and patrolled, and only have one entrance/exit usually. The older CRX is nto really a theft magnet from lots like that. It'd be more likely stolen from his driveway. But even then, around here a CRX on steelies will probably not go anywhere. I know a number of people around here that commute daily in Integras, and if anything was a theft magnet, it's an Integra GSR.
      Having represent a few (alleged) car thieves, I can tell you they'd steal that car from there.
      No one will report it stolen until 5pm.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

12. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      08-14-2012 10:57 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Kate in MD View Post
      I'm more worried about riding the Metro, using the escalators, and crossing streets in DC without getting hit (been there, done that) than I am about the safety of driving the CRX.

And if I was worried, I'd make Claff drive it; I have more life insurance on him than I have on me

As for worries about getting stuck in the winter, that's what the 4 Runner is for (well besides towing the Miata)
      Awesome.

My wife likes a lot of different cars, but you're at a whole different level.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      Oddie.
      08-15-2012 12:00 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Kate in MD View Post
      Oh, snap, that's right! I -totally- forgot about the tens of thousands of people who die every year in accidents while commuting to work on a train.

14. 08-15-2012 10:04 PM #39
      Oh, snap, that's right! I -totally- forgot about the tens of thousands of people who die every year in accidents while commuting to work on a train.

Obviously you have never ridden the Metro in DC; in the past 12 years, I spent 10 years riding it (and unfortunately I'm back again because of an office move).

I would rather take my chance in a CRX that I AM driving and have control of than with a train operator who may or may not have had enough sleep, may or may not remember to keep the doors closed while the train is moving, and may or may not remember to stop for the red signal. Oh, and don't forget about the system computers going down so that the HQ can't tell where the trains are. All common occurrences here in DC.

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 02:44 AM #40
      Not sure if we took or ignored the majority opinion here but regardless we went ahead and got the car over the weekend. Initial impressions are pretty good. Despite the aggressive suspension the ride isn't punishing, and the Ebay header/exhaust combo actually sounds pretty good. We have some work to do to re-attach some random trim pieces, and I'd love to find a non-ratty drivers seat, and there's some other things here and there that should be attended to, but overall it should be a serviceable car for the purpose we'll be using it.

Vehicles
      1991 Golf GL, '73 Super Beetle
      08-18-2012 02:56 AM #41
      looks like you got a pretty solid ride there

kinda jealous actually.
      How does a rotary work? This one's easy: the magic triangle spins in the peanut and then apex seals come out.
      BUY MY SUPER BEETLE!

17. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      08-18-2012 07:26 AM #42
      Hmmmm. That looks pretty good! If you dont mind my asking, what was the final price?

I'd probably yank the sticker, clean up the engine bay, fix the trim you mentioned, go through the brakes, change fluids and just drive the hell out of it!

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      08-18-2012 07:09 PM #43
      RACK
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 09:00 PM #44
      Sticker's already gone. Working on removing the purple tint which is a PITA.

I offered the seller $1600 expecting him to balk but he too that offer. Makes me think I could have got away with less but what a hundred bucks at that point?

Tomorrow I pick up the big book of service records/receipts from the two previous owners, which date back to 1990. Once I go through that I'll have a better idea of what really needs to be done sooner rather than later.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      95 civic hatch POS; 73 plymouth scamp
      08-18-2012 09:23 PM #45
      looks fresh, i'd steal
      Quote Originally Posted by apexT View Post
      All cars suck and are a terrible investment I am going to jump on my razor scooter and be done with it

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      08-19-2012 12:51 PM #46
      Trade drives with a BRZ?

22. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      08-19-2012 01:59 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
      Sticker's already gone. Working on removing the purple tint which is a PITA.

I offered the seller $1600 expecting him to balk but he too that offer. Makes me think I could have got away with less but what a hundred bucks at that point?

Tomorrow I pick up the big book of service records/receipts from the two previous owners, which date back to 1990. Once I go through that I'll have a better idea of what really needs to be done sooner rather than later.
      Sweet. Having records is quite a bonus on a $1600.00 car!

Vehicles
      08-19-2012 11:42 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Trade drives with a BRZ?
      I dunno, you might like it.

My plate's kinda sorta full with gearing up for our trip to Nationals in a week or so, not sure if I'll be able to devote much time to the CRX till after we come back. Once I get it legal and everything I'm sure we can find a time and place to take each other's cars around the block.

Vehicles
      7 of em.
      08-20-2012 02:41 AM #49
      Favorite forum thread so far this year.. More couples should be like this!

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      08-20-2012 08:03 AM #50
      Looks pretty clean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast